Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #1

I was dead set to buy a used Road King last March. I hadn't ridden much in a few years since selling my 900 when my son was born. I usually ride with 4 or 5 Harley guys. Former co-workers and good buddies. They never give me flak about what I ride, one of them even gave me his deluxe enclosed hauler to pick my bike up in NY state. I go on poker runs with them and am constantly surrounded by Harley guys. Normally the only people who say anything to me about my bike not being a Harley are guys that don't own one. This is the same kind of thing when someone likes to talk crap about your sports team but doesn't have one of their own, they are just sad little trolls.

I had always admired the build quality of their bikes. I loved that it was a task to find plastic. They have Road Kings, a Heritage and Ultra Classic and I loved them. Unfortunately or fortunately, the Road King that I had my eye on just wasn't a good fit for me. I had to do too much modifying for it to fit my tall frame. It was a beautiful '07 with less than 15k miles on it for $12k.

I hadn't been following the new bike market because I knew my price range and was set on a Harley. Then the Vaquero was pointed out to me and I found the one in NY state. It was an '11 for $11.5k with less than 9k on the clock. Had the big 3 done, with KQR backrest, aux kit, driving lights and a taller shield. All in all I'm glad it didnt work out. I love having a radio and a fairing, and I'm glad to have a liquid cooled bike again. I was worried about still craving the fit and finish of the Harley, but I dont have any of the envy that I had previously. I still think Harleys are absolutely beautiful bikes and I wish my paint could be anywhere close to their quality of paint.
VBA #02389
VROC #24810

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
A bit like an urban-legend where it just never ends and people repeat it as if they can confirm it.

That is California. Nothing works right in California... Nothing!

And... you are saying what?

Pretty much
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 02-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #3

..My 2 cents worth for today...

California Anything...Is a sorry shell of what California was just 30 years ago !
I Know I was There... I AM THERE !

(I was in southern California..in the mid and late 60's.....what has been lost since then ..IF YOU KNEW...It Will Make A BIG MAN CRY !...and the trend nationwide is downward)

..I could go on as to gov. and military...down-breeding..But nuff of that !

As For the Harley owners..Iv never been directly insulted by any of them as to what bike I ride, And THEY DONT HAVE HARLEY ENVY.they own one (problems and all !)
..I do have a Nephew Inlaw..that owns a Harley..he wont ride with me,

...He rides only with Harley Rider's !

Last edited by Silent Sam; 02-10-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
..I do have a Nephew Inlaw..that owns a Harley..he wont ride with me,

...He rides only with Harley Rider's !
Smart, the more Harley riders in a pack, the more likely someone will have the tools you need.

My best friend and the person I have logged the most miles next to rides a 2013 Road Glide. When I was poised to buy my 2012 Vaquero, I rode his, and nearly got the Glide. he also has a 2007 Road King, with, wait for it, right at 130,000 miles on it. I like to talk a little smack to my friends, but anyone who doesn't believe HD's have come a long way is very much mistaken. My biggest complaint about them had to do with their final assembly. The dealers actually expect to have the bikes back in the shop for some sort of warranty work within the first month after they are sold. Usually for sloppy work, loose steering bearings, random gaskets not placed correctly and leaking oil, those kinds of things. But over all, the twin cam motor has proven to be very reliable when properly maintained.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
..My 2 cents worth for today...

California Anything...Is a sorry shell of what California was just 30 years ago !
I Know I was There... I AM THERE !

(I was in southern California..in the mid and late 60's.....what has been lost since then ..IF YOU KNEW...It Will Make A BIG MAN CRY !...and the trend nationwide is downward)
Holy Crap! You are so right! I was just thinking the same thing earlier today.

I grew up in So Cal during the 60's and 70's. I KNOW!! And every time I visit, I cry a little inside.

How did it happen that in one generation it went from Great to Crap? We went from Ronald Reagan to Jerry Brown (again)!

We are so lost!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordgos View Post
Holy Crap! You are so right! I was just thinking the same thing earlier today.

I grew up in So Cal during the 60's and 70's. I KNOW!! And every time I visit, I cry a little inside.

How did it happen that in one generation it went from Great to Crap? We went from Ronald Reagan to Jerry Brown (again)!

We are so lost!
Hey Cliff,

How's it going ? I wasn't sure if I was seeing things when I saw a post from you. You must have really been inspired.

I have heard the same thing from Brad, since he still lives down there. I wish they would fix that damn state, then all the freaking weirdos from there would stop moving here and bringing there Calif. problems with them.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 02-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Hey Cliff,

How's it going ? I wasn't sure if I was seeing things when I saw a post from you. You must have really been inspired.

I have heard the same thing from Brad, since he still lives down there. I wish they would fix that damn state, then all the freaking weirdos from there would stop moving here and bringing there Calif. problems with them.
It is going good here.
Yea I got a little worked up reading another post about guys getting ticked off because they live in harsh weather. and it got me thinking on how our family every year would watch the Rose Bowl and hope and pray that the weather would be bad just so all the loons and nuts from the other 49 states wouldn't move here. But noooo! the tv would show people in shorts and without coats or even no shirts on. You have some goober who had been out shoveling snow from his driveway all morning watching the game and yelling at Ma to pack the kids because we are moving to Sunny California.
A few years ago for the first time in History, more people are moving out then are moving into the state. So us native Californians just like think that's us giving paying back to the other 49 states for all the crap that they sent here in the first place.
Just because we live in the best weather state doesn't mean that we don't like the winter and all the winter sports just like the people in other states do. It's that we can drive about an hour to visit the winter and then go home.
As much as I love the weather, the state has gone rotten. When the wife retires we plan to move to another state. But don't worry it won't be yours.(too damm cold in the winter)

Old 02-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordgos View Post
It is going good here.
Yea I got a little worked up reading another post about guys getting ticked off because they live in harsh weather. and it got me thinking on how our family every year would watch the Rose Bowl and hope and pray that the weather would be bad just so all the loons and nuts from the other 49 states wouldn't move here. But noooo! the tv would show people in shorts and without coats or even no shirts on. You have some goober who had been out shoveling snow from his driveway all morning watching the game and yelling at Ma to pack the kids because we are moving to Sunny California.
A few years ago for the first time in History, more people are moving out then are moving into the state. So us native Californians just like think that's us giving paying back to the other 49 states for all the crap that they sent here in the first place.
Just because we live in the best weather state doesn't mean that we don't like the winter and all the winter sports just like the people in other states do. It's that we can drive about an hour to visit the winter and then go home.
As much as I love the weather, the state has gone rotten. When the wife retires we plan to move to another state. But don't worry it won't be yours.(too damm cold in the winter)
As I was growing up, my two much older brothers both lived in CA. One in Orange County, the other in the Bay Area. My folks and I would take a road trip every year to see them. I thought CA was the greatest place on earth! I went to boot camp in San Diego and later was stationed at El Toro. This was in the late 70's and I still thought I was the luckiest guy alive to live in such a place. Now that I have been back there a few times as an adult, I wouldn't give you a dollar for the whole state. It is truly sad what it has turned into.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #9

One of my favorite run ins happened in December. I ride year round, no matter the weather. There are times when my car is needed by one of my staff members, and my wife of course needs her van to take care of the kids, so I only have my bike. In December it was about 35 degrees outside, I was gassing up and a guy approached me and began to tell me how much he liked his HD better than my Vulcan. He proceeded to tell me I was not a real rider like him because I didn't ride an HD. I looked around and asked him where his bike was, to which he replied "in my garage", I smiled and said "so a real rider only rides when it's sunny out?" He walked away mumbling. Enjoy the ride, no matter what you ride.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Top Contributor

/\
||

The way things are going in the country, there may not be any decent state left to move to.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 02-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
/\
||

The way things are going in the country, there may not be any decent state left to move to.
well there is allways Wyoming.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 02-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman View Post
well there is allways Wyoming.
A buddy of mine that I went to school with in Ohio moved to Cody right after High School. A few yrs. ago his wife got homesick for Ohio and they moved back. He been regretting it ever since.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 02-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
A buddy of mine that I went to school with in Ohio moved to Cody right after High School. A few yrs. ago his wife got homesick for Ohio and they moved back. He been regretting it ever since.
I would have let her go...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

AZ ain't bad 7 months out of the year. If I had a summer home in Show Low or Prescott, may be it would be perfect. At least I don't have to shovel snow.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 02-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #15

I did a local charity ride this past summer and had a Harley rider come up to me as soon as I parked my Nomad. He was all decked out in all the gear (probably spent 2 grand on the clothes). As I was standing next to the bike, he asked if it was mine. "Yea, it is." He then preceded to tell me that the '05 Nomad was the best bike he ever owned and he truly regretted trading it for a Harley when he fell to peer pressure. He went on and on about how great a ride it was and how much better he liked the Nomad than his current Harley. I asked him why he didn't revert back to the Nomad and his response... "I've got too much money invested in this Harley. My wife would kill me 'cause I'd take a huge loss financially."

I could only think, man, that's gotta suck. Gave me a really big smile when he walked back to his bike and his buddies. My wife and I walked around a bit looking at other bikes and when we got back to mine, his buddies were standing around mine checking it out. They were very complimentary. And, very inquisitive about the car tire.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday