Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Advanced Member

bkmaxvrb: I see your idiocy -- and raise

Winding down our great upper midwest tour, Angie and I left Duluth this morning in some wet stuff that the Weather Channel said wasn't there.

Only when we stopped at the Michigan info center and looked at a big map did reality hit. I had no idea what a HUGE state Michigan is. To get back on time, we were going to have to push in some extra miles to the leisurely pace I had planned.

MI's Rte. 28 is a great road across the Upper Peninsula. The 55mph speed limit is okay for the leisurely wind down--not so much when trying to put on some miles.
But the road is good, relatively little traffic, I cruised a little over 65 and used all my experience to know when I could even go faster. I had excellent views of oncoming vehicles. Most of the time, passing was just a matter of approaching the slower cars and easily gunning around them. I probably got above 80 just to hear the growl of my de-baffled mod.

I was so in tune that, as I approached another pair of snails creeping at 55, I just moved out to the passing lane and opened it up to pass both of them.

And, here, the scene goes to slow motion.

As I pulled up on the first car, I noticed writing on the side. It said--now hang with me here-- "Sheriff." Did I think his light bar was a ski rack?

Not many options at this point.

I let off the accelerator, but drifted even with him, and decided that he probably had already noticed what was happening. I completed passing both cars, pulled back in lane and slowed down to about 60 (I HAD passed after all, so maybe I should keep true to the prevailing story line of exceeding the speed limit a bit.)

He lit me up, and I pulled over. There was absolutely no excuse. I passed a cop! That's Jeff Foxworthy material.

I humbled up (it came very naturally) and hoped my guy wasn't from the Dan Lund school of cop-ology.

He was actually a very nice guy. He said that a biker got taken down by a deer today and that this stretch had a lot of deer. While his young partner was checking my ID, he said that he's retiring next year, and he and his wife are going to ride down to AZ. They both have bikes.

I ended up with a verbal warning about the deer. I kept the speed limit for the last 80 miles of the day to Gaylord, MI.

Anybody else want to ante up in this idiocy game?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #2

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

Russ

Russ

Fraternal Order of Police, NY Lodge 50
American Legion, NY Post 616
Legion Riders, NY Post 259
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin

Old 08-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #3

I almost did as well you last night (surprise surprise huh?)

I was coming up the freeway to my exit in the car and saw a line of cars in the slow lane going what seemed extra slow. I was in the fast lane and decided to prolong my stay and get in front of the slow line, before my exit ramp came up.

Well when I got there it was a line following a patrol car!

Now I'd have to squeeze in behind with tight slow traffic, or finish going ahead and pull in front as I was nearly there. I pulled in front, thinking that he knew I was coming up fast, pulling a dork move and squeezing in would just make me look even more dangerous.

As I was moving quite a bit faster than him, I hit the exit lanes ahead of him and kept to the right of the multiple exit lanes. They further break down to an extra right turn lane. He kept following each of my lane changes, but a little ways back. Bad news.

It's a yield lane for my right turn, and the multiple left turns have a light. I got a perfect set up with cars coming that I could jump ahead of through the yield sign, but he couldn't get ahead of. Might it be just enough to make him think it's not worth it?

No, he jumps in front of the oncoming cars way too close. Very aggressive. He's lighting me up for sure, if he's being that aggressive.

Then..... no lights. He quickly moves over to the left lanes and pulls into the cop shop located just off that exit. I got lucky with a cop wanting to go home, not write one more speeding ticket!

BTW, for those following the other thread. I still wouldn't have given extra information as always, but I wouldn't have complained about it. I was speeding, it would have been a good ticket. It would have been a completely fair ticket.

I wish I could go slow :(

Old 08-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Top Contributor

trade it in for a Vespa Dan. then you will be guarnteed no tickets.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #5

I didn't get pulled over, but I had a pucker momet a while back. On the way to work in the early morning, I was rolling along the highway at about 70 in a 55. I looked to my right up an on-ramp and noticed a nice looking bike coming on the highway. I thought it was a H-D but the design looked a little different and I loved the color. A really nice dark blue. So, I slowed down and stayed in the right lane to see if he would catch up to me and I could get a better look. Boy did he ever catch up to me! It was a Missouri Highway Patrol bike and he blew past me like I was standing still. I didn't even know they had bikes.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #6

I got pulled over by The Sheriff years ago. On a two lane road following an old beater going about 15 mph, got tired of following and passed on a double yellow. The care behind me was unmarked, and then all of a sudden the front grill started flashing blue lights...next thing I know this really big redneck dude gets out of the car with a belt buckle that would make Trip proud and comes up to my door (in my truck). It is The Sheriff himself. Asks me a couple questions if the laws were different where I was from and where I was heading. Finds out I'm a coach and coach with one of his oldest friend's sons, and I drive away with nothing but a warning.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 08-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #7

I humbled up (it came very naturally) and hoped my guy wasn't from the Dan Lund school of cop-ology.

Too bad Professor Gates never learned that lesson.

LOL!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
trade it in for a Vespa Dan. then you will be guarnteed no tickets.
I'd have to give you a ticket just for riding a Vespa

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF