Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Changing Gear Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougster
With my V&H Baggers, I have to release my muffler and drop it an inch or so, just like I expect Dave has to. He probably doesn't mean he takes it clear off; just loosens and drops it.

I don't think I would ever quibble with Mac on this, but it seems I read on Gadget's site to just leave the bike on its kickstand when you fill the gear case, and that gives you the right amount. What do you think, Mac?
Well what I think is it is best to flip out that side stand and drain the oil and re fill it just like that.

Everyone has this 'need' for more' these days so a bit more is the 2x4.. Dead straight up is just begging for a leak. The engineers blew this one, the proof is so many leaks.

And or the machine work sucks. Since this has never happened to me and I just do the side stand thing.. and other who do, have not as much of these leaks over time I have decided the book is wrong.

The book does have errors and never once have i seen any shop book with no errors.

I used to drop a muffler a bit too, but then I figured it was faster if my wife sat on the seat, and dropped the bolt down enough I can get at it..

Gotta drop air to 0 psi is all.... I have one place to air the shocks, and a gauge, so I depress the pin with her sitting there, and it goes whoosh, I pull the bolt and the plug, and it drains.... She goes on a bug hunt in the garden a while I putter around doing something else and when I am ready she comes back and sits again.

In goes the drain bolt and she is gone... I finish up filling, antiseizing the plug and wipe everything clean. Air up and I am done.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #17
Advanced Member

Changing Gear Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougster
With my V&H Baggers, I have to release my muffler and drop it an inch or so, just like I expect Dave has to. He probably doesn't mean he takes it clear off; just loosens and drops it.

I don't think I would ever quibble with Mac on this, but it seems I read on Gadget's site to just leave the bike on its kickstand when you fill the gear case, and that gives you the right amount. What do you think, Mac?
Well what I think is it is best to flip out that side stand and drain the oil and re fill it just like that.

Everyone has this 'need' for more' these days so a bit more is the 2x4.. Dead straight up is just begging for a leak. The engineers blew this one, the proof is so many leaks.

And or the machine work sucks. Since this has never happened to me and I just do the side stand thing.. and other who do, have not as much of these leaks over time I have decided the book is wrong.

The book does have errors and never once have i seen any shop book with no errors.

I used to drop a muffler a bit too, but then I figured it was faster if my wife sat on the seat, and dropped the bolt down enough I can get at it..

Gotta drop air to 0 psi is all.... I have one place to air the shocks, and a gauge, so I depress the pin with her sitting there, and it goes whoosh, I pull the bolt and the plug, and it drains.... She goes on a bug hunt in the garden a while I putter around doing something else and when I am ready she comes back and sits again.

In goes the drain bolt and she is gone... I finish up filling, antiseizing the plug and wipe everything clean. Air up and I am done.
I LIKE it, Mac! You get the job done, and get to spend time with your wife at the same time! Double bonus.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Changing Gear Oil

Well there is no doubt that any woman that can put up with me is an angel, and we seem to have the kind of relation a great deal of others dream about.

I could say alot, but think this just might sum things up.

A little bit back in time and in summer I sort of helped out a female rider from New Zealand. She was to be here 3 days and the bike she owned would arrive. That took nearly 1 month.

In that time i wanted the kiwi to see parts of Maine, mostly the coast, and so the kiwi rode pillon with me to Arcadia, where we took a sea side cottage for the night, in the same room but different beds. My wife knew before i left and it just wasn't an issue.

The kiwi was a married gal too, just that her hubby was half way round the globe..

There is just one problem with female kiwi's..... they tend to mount a bike from the RIGHT That was most certainly a surprise!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it