Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #1

'01 gas fill up question

I just back from a long ride and I filled up 3 times. Each time the gauge showed full and I ran it down to just when the "low fuel " light came on. Each time I put in approx. 2.3 gallons of fuel. I figure my gauge is probably not that accurate.

I have to stop filling at the bottom of the metal piece inside the fill hole or gas runs out of the tank while I am riding.

Is this standard for this bike or is the seal bad on the gas lid and not allowing me to add more fuel ?
How far and how much left when light comes on?

Thanks, Bill

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

'01 gas fill up question

You should be able to top over that plate and not have fuel run out from under the cap... Fuel should run out a drain over flow tube inder the bike then, so don't get to over filling often.

Perhaps the over flow is clogged.. Under the cap there is 2 or 3 small holes, one is to drain off rain water which is outter most in the filler well out side, another vent is near the hinge, which relives gas preusser inside the tank and these tend to whistle when the tank is heated by the engine or the sun.

The water drain on the exit side is right front under the tank.

The fuel drain is right rear under the tank and the rubber tubing runs to the same place under the bike the batter vent is. There will be 2 or 3 overly long tubings near the oil filter unless you or someone trimmed them.

This is based on the bike is not a California modle.

Do not trust the fuel gauge, and do not ride far once that yellow light flickers unless you have no choice.

That light may begin to flicker before 138 miles have passed and you should be thinking more fuel the first time you see it.

The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel it lives in. To allow it to heat is to allow the bearings in the pump to cook.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #3

'01 gas fill up question

I will check the vent tubes for clogging. The one vent is working, because it whistles when full and the weather is hot. I wasn't sure if the seal for the gas cap was bad as well.
Sucks not getting to fill it up all the way or having gas run back on the tank while riding.

thanks, Bill

Old 06-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #4

'01 gas fill up question

All three vent tubes are clear and the rubber seal at the cap is pliable.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks, Bill

Old 06-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #5

'01 gas fill up question

You are not supposed to fill over that plate, I think your gas gage and low fuel light are off if you only can put 2.3 gals in when it shows empty. I would get a gal. gas can fill it and carry it with you and ride to see when you run out of gas, I always go by the trip odometer when it gets to 120 miles I start looking for a gas station but I have gone 174 miles on a tank but not because I wanted to.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

'01 gas fill up question

Maybe give that seal a coat of wax, and use it to transfer a wax tell tail to the filler, and or the other way around, which would be easier to see wax on rubber.

Since I can't see it is hard to say, but this isn't typical, and you for sure don't need a lap of fuel.

With a full tank even over the plate no fuel should seep out from under the cap.

Maybe the top side of the seal has a flaw and since it is installed you can't see it?

I had a 01 and commonly over filled it on purpose, and while the drain would spill some fuel, the cap never did, and not even when the bike was fresh filled and I crashed wheels high.
Then gas came out the key hole in a stream.

Investigate more!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #7

'01 gas fill up question

I am going to try the wax also I am going to check out the cap better. The one vent tube uses a piece of metal with a hole in it from the cap and that has to be getting fuel or vapors from somewhere, maybe its clogged.
I also agree on filling it up all the way without issue. I have owned Kz's, a Concours and a ZRX1200R before this and always filled them up to full without issue. The ZRX and Concours would whistle a little bit when it was hot out but that is it.

I am open for all ideas and thoughts.

Thanks,Bill

Old 06-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Top Contributor

'01 gas fill up question

manual says to not fill over the plate. i tried it ONCE and gas drippled out around the cap and onto the pipes. YUK! I always fill only up to or slightly below and it works fine. if your running it down to the low fuel light, you ususually can get about 3.7 or something. Yours sounds a bit low. gauge is off for sure on alot of Nomad. Go my the miles is my suggestion.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #9

'01 gas fill up question

My 2000 has the 4.2 gal tank. When the yellow light comes on I get about 3.5 gallons in at fill up. That is usually 120 miles although this past week on a charity run it didn't come on till 141 miles. again hit 3.3 gallons. to fill. 2.3 sounds quite low.
I try to fill every time I get close to 100 miles.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #10

'01 gas fill up question

Thanks guys, the gauge is probably off. I will start using the tripometer when I go on long rides.
Bill