Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Rural two lane curvy roads at night

I've done my share of night riding. In my younger days while I was in college my roommate and I would go bombing around the backroads of Fitchburg, MA on our Honda 350 & 360. In recent years I'd be getting back late from a ride. The curvy roads were the biggest challenge especially when it was territory you weren't familiar with. The best defense was good bright illumination and slower speeds. In the north country moose was the biggest fear as their eyes do not reflect your headlights like deer's do making it much harder to see them. Also, moose have long spindly legs and the mass of their body is right at helmet level

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #17

I do a lot of riding in the dark since I work steady afternoon shift. We have animals run out all the time, especially in Oct-Nov here when the deer are rutting. Yuo just get good at spotting them, and knowing the spots where they usually cross the roads.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #18
Advanced Member

Lots of night riding also coming home from afternoon shift. In town it was pretty well lit up and I knew the back roads real well so it wasn't so bad.

It can get hairy on country roads I am not familiar with though. I slow down a lot and feel pretty comfortable riding on them. Freeways, I love to ride at night!