Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #1

Intercom/Music/Radio Systems

Hey, we're thinking of buying some kind of communication system to use on longer trips. We've looked at Scala and J&M. What are people using out there? Any recommondations? We want a system for rider passenger communications plus music and maybe communications with other bikes.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #2

We use the J&M with Serius/XM radio. It works great.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

I'm usually solo so I can't vouch for the intercom but the J&M CB with XM radio plumbed is keeps me company. Great for cross country trips.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 11-20-2010, 01:46 AM   #4

I'm considering the following:

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-q2

It is a bike-to-bike device and many members on here recommended it. I believe Scala has rider-to-pasenger units also.

Cheers,

E.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #5

I have the Scala Rider Teamset Pro. It works great for phone calls, although I would consider replacing it with the J&M system. I wanted a communication system but the guys I typically ride with don't have anything, so buying the J&M wasn’t the best choice at the time. I may start piecing the system together so that it does dent my wallet.

Kip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #6

I use the scala q2 team set. great for phone and bike to bike if the other rider has a windshield. I use the radio but if you want good sound for your music I wouldn't recommend it.

Wayne
2011 FLHTK

Old 11-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #7

I have used the BlueAnt Motorcycle InterPhone Headsets for over 2 years now and have had excellent results, mine are the older models and I am considering upgrading to the F4 headsets. Below is the website for more information.
http://www.myblueant.com/products/he...e/f4/index.php

Old 11-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #8

We've been using the J&M units for the past 5 years, with great results. The audio quality is tops, and allows you to use any kind of audio input device, IPod, MP3, satellite radio, whatever. The CB works well, even if the range isn't terrific, but it works fine in a group or when it's just the two of us, as we're always within sight of each other anyway.

The cheapest place to get the J&M setup is through Sierra Electonics. It's cheaper than getting it direct from J&M, and you can get it for solo use, or with rider to passenger intercom feature for a few dollars more.

www.sierra-mc.com

Old 11-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #9

I've been using the Cardo, Scala Q2 for two years and it works great for pasanger to pasanger or bike to bike. It has bluetooth also and can work with your GPS or cell phone. It also has full duplex which means both people can talk at the same time. The FM radio is OK and hooked to an MP3 player is also good. The main thing with speakers in the helmet are the location in relation to your ear. You can get very good tone the closer to the center of your ear that you place the speakers. This takes time to get right but once you do it makes all the difference. It is always better to have earbuds because of the wind noise you are sharing wave length with. I recommend this system. There is much better systems from Cardo since I purchased this one so I'm sure the new Scala is even better. By battery life has been good as long as you make sure to re-charge before the ride. It should last longer than your butt, I have never had them go down. This system can be used with up to three.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis49
I've been using the Cardo, Scala Q2 for two years and it works great for pasanger to pasanger or bike to bike. It has bluetooth also and can work with your GPS or cell phone. It also has full duplex which means both people can talk at the same time. The FM radio is OK and hooked to an MP3 player is also good. The main thing with speakers in the helmet are the location in relation to your ear. You can get very good tone the closer to the center of your ear that you place the speakers. This takes time to get right but once you do it makes all the difference. It is always better to have earbuds because of the wind noise you are sharing wave length with. I recommend this system. There is much better systems from Cardo since I purchased this one so I'm sure the new Scala is even better. By battery life has been good as long as you make sure to re-charge before the ride. It should last longer than your butt, I have never had them go down. This system can be used with up to three.
I have this system and I agree with everything except, This system can be used with up to three. I don't think it is capable of more than two people conversation.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
I'm usually solo so I can't vouch for the intercom but the J&M CB with XM radio plumbed is keeps me company. Great for cross country trips.
and it works well for intercom. I plug in my HTC incredible for music--- music stored or from the internet.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis49
I have this system and I agree with everything except, This system can be used with up to three. I don't think it is capable of more than two people conversation.
Yes the Q2 will work with up to three after they are all linked together from the Primary system, but three is the limit.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Man !! I'm going to have to start some serious research .....I have a Bluetooth marine radio, an iPod that plugs into the radio via a USB cable, I will have another GPS unit,....not sure which one to buy that will work with all of this, and get it into "a system" that will fit into a half helmet and allow hands free. I don't care if it answers my phone. It's off till I'm off the bike.

Any ideas??

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 11-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #14

My friend and I just purchased the Scala G4 bluetooth kit at the Dallas MC show and used them on the ride back to Memphis. I plan on doing a formal write-up but let me say we were both very skeptical and VERY IMPRESSED!! if you were to call me while I was traveling 75mph down the interstate you can not tell on your end I'm on the MC. I had my daughter call me to test it. The hands free VOX is amazing and the clarity was great. We were using a chatterbox FRS setup and we both had 05 Goldwings with CBs at one point. The Scala setup blows them away. It was like being in a car as far as conversation with not a word missed and no buttons to push. I don't know how they do it but Cardo has the noise filter technology down. Bike to bike worked great but we never really tested how far apart you can get. They claim a mile with the little antenna popped up. They are definately worth checking out.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #15

Yes you are right. 3 can use the Q2 but only 2 at a time. 3 people cannot talk together. The main set can talk to buddy 1 or buddy 2 but not at the same time. If talking to buddy 1 buddy 2 cannot hear the conversation.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]