Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2020, 11:36 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Vn1600tcms

In the vein of Harley alphabet model codes, the conversion of my VN1600 Classic to a Tour Classic Mean Streak (VN1600TCMS) has begun, a bit. I recently swapped out the stock 16" rear wheel/bias-ply tire, with a 17" rear wheel/radial from a Mean Streak. Its a direct replacement without any mods. I like the lighter look of the Mean Streak wheel and shorter side wall of the radial tire. Plus there is a good selection of 17" radial tires in good load range options.

Up front I fitted the Mean Streak front wheel/discs, and the wheel mounts into the Classic fork with no mods. It uses the same axle and spacers as the stock VN1600 Classic front wheel. However, the Mean Streak discs are much larger in diameter, requiring the Classic calipers to be mounted further from the fork legs. The center to center distance of the discs on the Mean Streak are 1/8"narrower, which the caliper mount pins should allow. I'll make the caliper brackets needed to fit the Classic brake calipers to the Mean Streak discs.

Another change: I just don't like the flat top/stodgy looking front fender of the Classic. A front fender from a Yamaha 1300 has a much better shape, and mounts to the Classic forks with minimal mod and some spacers. Plus, with the Mean Streak front wheel it looks like a Hugger style fender but still allows plenty of clearance underneath.

I'm looking forward to the sportier, lighter look of the Mean Streak wheels and Yamaha fender on my VN1600 Classic. I have a set of Nomad hard bags I'll also mount, along with V&H true Duals, to go with the tour box I already added. I think it has real potential. I'll post some pics soon.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by andyvh1959; 08-07-2020 at 10:34 AM.