Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Complete Bikes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Nobody on the forums have replaced belts, and many such as myself have ALOT more than 30,000 miles.

20-40 is the "RECOMMENDED" viscosity just like 10-40 is Kawi's recommended vis for the 1700, yet that does not stop peeps from running 20-50 in their 1700's does it? The oil vis I would be worried about would be anything with a upper vis rating of 30 or below, otherwise anything werks. The Scouts recommended oil is 15w-60!!! And on Indians website that oil is also oked by Indian for the 111's.

There are many aftermarket oil companies that have been making 20-40 for those wanting/needing to stick with that recommendation, so ain't gotta go to the dealer for oil. As a professional tech I see no need to stick with what the manufacture says as those are always "recommended" viscosities. I have been runnin 15-50 BelRay. The guys out in Texas and those parts have found 20-50 to be "more gooder" (as my ole man would say) when they have temps like 105+. And a few have even used the 15-60 which I plan on using for the next oil change, tho it is Torco oil.

The Indians do come with better OEM tires than the 1700's, mine were Dunlop E3's. The original rear tire was replaced b4 it was completely worn out at about 13,000 miles, and the original front tire last 28,000 miles!!!

RACNRAY
For instance, BMW has viscosity recommendations based on temperature ranges, with the API rating as well. With the Indian manual I saw, it was just one recommendation. Thing is, talking magnuson moss, if I used Mobil 1 20w-50 and something took a shite, they might reneg because I didn't follow their recommendation. Having ranges based on temps and API ratings seems a better idea. Kawasaki does this as well. As far as belt replacements, it should be at least double in mileage from what they recommend, more like 60K miles.

All that said, I was just curious. I might give up riding anyway. I've had 4 surgeries in the last 9 months, 3 for my spine and I don't know if it's a good idea with the risks. The last one was cervical fusion a few weeks ago. I had C4-6 done in 2012 and now C2-4. Last fall I had L4-5. I have more titanium in me than the ISS. Turning my head ain't what it used to be, at all.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11