Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #22

Well, I made it! Got home before the sun set yesterday (Sunday). Only gripes on the bike were that the throttle lock he had never would engage and work........makes for a very long and sore ride. And the idle quality isnt great, probably from sitting. A couple cylinders are dead at idle but pick up immediately when throttle is added. Carb job will fix them.
Good God does this thing have power!! Went on reserve around 150 miles every time and took between 3.9 and 4.1 gallons depending on when I could finally stop and refuel. Mileage is alot better than I thought it would be. Damn it has power....did I say that already??
Ultimate seat was pretty good but seems a little thin for that kind of distance. I used the highway pegs and would rest my back against my junk I carried then would switch back to a more straight up stance when my back or butt would start to get sore. The Diamond Gusset riding jeans were comfy both days. That little extra diamond they put in them really does keep your stuff from getting all bunched up..... I know TMI ....
Ended up putting a pair of huge tie wraps on the throttle handle the second day and tightened them just tight enough to use as a throttle lock against the brake lever. Cut them short enough to when I needed to close the throttle they would drop over the brake lever and disengage. That helped alot!
Rode just over 600 miles the first day in and out of rain and had a cross wind from Hell for most of the day. Not a great day to become acquainted with your new bike, specially running a dark side tire on the rear. Second day the front had caught me overnight and I-10 was wet again and then around 9AM fog set in around Eastern Alabama and the panhandle of Florida and didn't lift until around 11AM. Once it lifted it was time for me to find a way off I-10 as I had had enough of that road. Exited around Talahassee and went down 19 and old 27 to High springs and got on I-75 for aound 75 miles then off and a relaxing last hour through the forest to the house.
Interestingly I never saw another motorcycle on I-10 in Texas or Louisiana and only one just as I exited for the day in Mississippi. Sunday on I-10 I saw a few, mostly Harleys and mostly on trailers. When I got on 27 I caught a Harley and blew past it.....just because I could!

Last edited by Pappyman; 12-17-2012 at 09:04 PM.