Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Lucky to be alive

I read a post on another forum that I thought illustrates the hazard texting and driving causes...

This rider left work to go to lunch on September 29, he woke up in the ICU on October 16. Apparently, about 5 minutes after leaving work he was hit head on by a woman who "didn't see him" driving a Dodge Laramie. Witnesses say she was looking down and had her cellphone in her hands. He flew 71 feet in the air, and caught something on the way over the vehicle, ripping out his lower intestines - "gutted me like a buck in hunting season" was how he put it. Broke nearly all his ribs, both arms and wrists, collapsed a lung and shattered his pelvis. He has to wear a colostomy bag while a team of surgeons attempt to reconstruct his digestive tract. He expects to remain in the hospital until June or July of next year.

This rider is very fortunate to still be alive. This is probably one of the most serious outcomes I've ever heard of that didn't result in a fatality.

Purely my opinion - the use of cell phones while driving needs to be banned. It's illegal to drive while drunk, but most drunks are at least trying to drive, not texting, playing angry birds or whatever.

Personally, I quit using my cell phone while driving after I started riding again and realized what a menace this creates for everyone on the road, motorcyclists in particular - being more vulnerable than automobiles.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads