Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Bummer

I'm feeling kind of bad right now. I took a quick run over to my daughter's place about half mile away. Cruising down a side street doing about 35-40 mph I saw a golden retriever on a perfect intercept course with me. I was going straight down the street and he was angling towards me from the left. I couldn't tell if he was just running to get somewhere or chasing me. Wasn't barking or anything so I don't think he was chasing. I could see we were going to collide if neither of use did anything to prevent it. From my motorcycle safety course I took last year they said "don't change your course or speed, maintain your heading and don't brake or speed up". Well that's exactly what I did and I had it my mind the whole time this was happening. Wham...........Yelp! he ran into my crash bar in front of the left bag. He kept moving, but I know he was hurting. He definitely slowed down and was limping. No damage to the bike and I maintained control despite the impact.

Had I not heeded the advice from the safety course it probably wouldn't have resulted in the impact.

Anybody with a similar story maybe with a better outcome? I'm feeling bad for hitting him, but at the same time glad I didn't crash.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Login or Register to Remove Ads