Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #1

Test drove a Can Am Spyder RT-SE5 today...

After seeing a million of these things in Maggie Valley at the national rally, I decided I had to ride one... at least once. So I did today.

I won't go into a long deal about it; but would say it was a fun vehicle to drive. I day "drive", because you don't really ride these things, but rather you "drive" them.

You have to leave some of your motorcycle habits and skills at home, because they don't apply to this unit.

Power was decent. The touring model I drove is not as "peppy" as the sports models; but it still would do zero to 60 in 4.5 seconds... which is more than enough for my needs.

Turning was strange. Of course, there isn't any lean. You have to brace for the corners somewhat so as not to be thrown-off it. I never once felt I was going to fly-off of it though; so don't get the wrong impression.

Had it up to 70 MPH. It handled fine. It is a lot like a snowmobile... like they said it would be. For those not having ridden a snowmobile, you have to contend with a bit of "drifting" from side to side on them. It wasn't a huge deal, and in some ways it was kind-of fun. The more relaxed you were with the handlebars the less drift would occur.

The unit I drove was their top-of-the-line and was expensive. It is loaded with standard features only found on a GW or an Ultra. Much of the machine is computer-controlled; much like cars are today. This helps with its many features to include stability control, braking, and shifting.

Overall, I can see why they are selling a "boat-load" of these things.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads