Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #1

Nomads, Harleys, A Canadian Perspective

I was rereading some threads on various topics and I started to notice a few common thoughts about Harleys and HD owners, many of which I believe are not held in Canada. I also noticed still some bias against the newer 1700 Nomads.
As to Harleys: comments were that HD owners don't make positive comments if any at all about the Nomad, that they don't wave to metric riders, or that Harleys ride better than the Nomad and come with more for the money. I can see the US perspective given that the bike is made in the USA and has a historic importance in the riding community. Indeed, a friend told me that at Sturgis, 95% of the motorcycles are Harleys.
In Canada, I believe this is not the case. Harleys are so expensive that there is at least as many metric bikes, if not more. Consequently, there is not as much attitude. HD riders do the wave. I have had many positive comments about my Nomad from HD riders and others. Dollar for dollar the 09/10 Nomad is a better deal and has many options found only on the more expensive HDs. A $20 000 HD will cost $30 000 in Canada.
As to Nomads: I find there are still negative comments about the newer style of Nomad, such as don't ride it if you are 6', doesn't handle well, don't like the new bags, heat issues.
I always loved the Nomad look and that was what attracted me to this bike.
Unlike the previous versions, you don't need to replace the seat, don't need to add risers to bring the bars closer, don't need to search for a 6th gear, don't need to add a fuel processor or a rubber seal at the gas cap, head buffeting is not an issue. The bags load from the top so nothing falls out, cruise control is so good I will never own another bike without it, I can ride all day in the comfortable seat, and it doesn't tend to fall into the turn in slow turns like previous versions. Heat has never been a problem.
I've added rails now so have more of that Nomad look.
I still enjoy looking at the 1500 and 1600 Nomads and know members of this board love them.
We all ride what we like and what we can afford. When one HD rider of a 99 Electric Glide said my Nad didn't have enough chrome, I replied I could have bought his bike but didn't!
The 09 has so many positive features. It may not be the Nomad most of the members ride, but it is a great ride.

Login or Register to Remove Ads