Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #1

Riding with others

No poll needed but just curious how some of you feel about the group size when riding (lets say 100+ miles ) with others.

I love riding period... but I find my comfort zone is riding with less than 4 others. Any more than that it seems to drag out the stops, harder to keep track (especially if you are leading the pack) and not as relaxed. It seems like more work.

I have only ridden in a really large group once...like 100 bikes. I did not find that fun unless you are just going on a 1/2 mile parade.

I recently took a nice ride with 9 bikes..and I still felt it was too large of group for my comfort zone. I was leading so I felt a responsibility to keep the pack together and made sure we didn't lose anyone but I was amazed how much slower we were in/out of stops and just getting going. I think it cost us about an hour of saddle time just for a half day ride.

Everyone rode the formation and knew what they were doing (except me but no one noticed ).

I enjoy looking around, ride a little slower (60-65 or so) taking in the sites/scenery and I didn't seem to enjoy that part as much with 9 bikes. Is that normal? Or do I just need to do it more and it gets more relaxing?

Don't get me wrong, I can see the occasional National or Regional Rally being a hoot to meet up and hang out but riding in groups more than 4/5 on a regular basis doesn't have a big appeal to me.

The exception would be the Patriot Guard Riders, Green Knights, Blue Knighhts, Red Knights, etc. I would think the honor and emotion would overcome the issue.

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads