Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Windshields & Fairings

After looking at all the nice custom fairings painted to match their Nomads or aftermarket clear fairings out there I'm thinking maybe?...........

Here's the questions I have.

Has anyone found a windshield or fairing that offers better protection than stock? How about aerodynamics? When I hit a headwind at 70 mph it feels like I hit a wall!

I would go with something different if it provided more than just bling appeal. I need funtion to lead form on this one. They don't give them away!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Windshields & Fairings

Well, that's a deep subject! I think that with the stock windshield configurtion that "wall" effect was greater than with the Premuix Fairing & lowers I now have! I still get that gutless feeling into a headwind but it doesn't seem as abrupt? I have tried with lowers / without lowers / with crash guard chaps and with the lowers it seems better. Now remember this is very objective! I also noticed that with the stock windshield it to me acted more like a big sheet of plywood strapped to the front of the bike. It does appear to be quite a bit better in the crosswinds with the fairing. Protection with the Fairing / Lowers is way better than the stock windshield and buffeting is almost non-existent until well over 90 MPH. I have some small vents in the lowers but would have liked them to be bigger like the new Voyager! They do work but when it's super hot out more air flow would be better! In the rain the only thing that gets wet when I'm moving is my knee area - the small area between the bottom of the Fairing and the top of the lowers lets water in. If you where to maybe find the smaller version Bat Wing style Fairing you may be happy with it?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #3

Windshields & Fairings

I found that the wind affects my Quadzilla differently than the stock windshield. With the fairing the buffeting is reduced and I think that running into a head wind is better than the stock windshield.
The "air pocket" behind my fairing is much better at highway speeds. I certainly would hate to have to go back to my stock shield. Just my 2 cents.

Mike "Kioti" Gregg
Peripheral visionary, wanderer, vagabond, pilgrim, rambler, roamer, nomad

VBA #00380
VROC #11078
Lennox, SD *AMERICA by GOD*

2016 Kawasaki Vaquero
2009 Victory Vision - gone
2006 Kawasaki Nomad - gone
2002 Kawasaki 1500 Classic - gone

"A Bumble Bee is considerably faster than a Super H Farmall"

2009 Black Hills Rally
2018 Black Hills Rally

Old 08-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #4

Windshields & Fairings

I have the Clearview shield on mine. It's 23.5" and 2" wider than stock. Great protection w/little buffeting. I'm sure I pay for it a little in gas mileage, but not too much. Never had a problem with headwinds.. just give it more gas!

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 08-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Windshields & Fairings

In know what you're doing, Brad. You want to figure out a way to ride and not wrinkle your clothes.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Windshields & Fairings

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............................

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 08-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #7

Windshields & Fairings

Hehe, thats funny. My windshield is actually made from a NASCAR windshield. The previous owner was a short fella and when he couldn't get it any lower, he used a jig saw and hacked the bottom of the windshield, brackets and all. When I went looking for a factory replacement, they cost $416.00. Well, when I went to N.C. to pick up our Dale Sr car, I asked the guy we got the car from if he had any broken windshields around I big enough to make a motorcycle windshield out of. He told me to wait a second and then walked out with a brand new, still had the plastic protective wrap on it, NASCAR windshield. Cost new, about $1800.00, cost to me, nada. Brought it home and made a perfect replica of the original factory windshield and got all new brackets. It even has the NASCAR safety seal in the plastic. Rated for over 200mph and able to take a bullet, or at least deflect a loose lugnut. I still have half the windshield left, just enough to make one more windshield and a set of those little deflectors.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #8

Windshields & Fairings

Brad, I had the privilege of riding another Nomad a couple of weeks ago, but I couldn't get over the difference in having a fairing, and not having one. I actually had a big bug hit me on my finger. That doesn't happen with the fairing. Since I've had them, there's 2 things that I won't go without, thats the fairing (with "tunes"), and a trunk. Both are functional, and convenient.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 08-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #9

Windshields & Fairings

I feel the same way, this is my first bike with a fairing and beerbox and both are items are so practical, I don't think I could enjoy the bike as much without them now.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #10

Windshields & Fairings

Purely what you want in cosmetics here, but I really prefer the look of not having a fairing. I like just the Windshied. To me the fairing makes it too crowded.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Windshields & Fairings

If I could find a clear handlebar mounted fairing that provided as least as good of protection as a frame mounted fairing I'd prefer that. I like the "openess" the clear fairing gives the Nomad.

I do like the matched painted fairings and trunks the members are showing off!

Member # 0005

Old 08-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #12

Windshields & Fairings

You might be able to contact Slip Streamer Windshields and try to purchase an SS-32 Falcon replacement shield with no predrilled holes and use it with the stock hardware on the Nomad drilling the holes as needed. It is the only things I can think of that might do what you want short of making your own.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Windshields & Fairings

Basically you want your cake and eat it too! You would like the protection of a full fairing & lowers with the carrying capacity of the touring trunk with the look of the no windshield / solo seat boulevard cruiser - right? That's why I am up to 11 bikes now - just like my work - " the right tool for the job" you can't use a hammer as a wrench!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Windshields & Fairings

My ORIGINAL post suggested I'm more in to "function" ahead of "form". the big painted frame mounted fairings are nice but I wouldn't pay $1,000 bucks for one if it offered little in the way of protection from the elements.

Now if I had enough replys to indicated that a frame mounted fairing provided substantial more protection than just a clear windshield it would pique my interest. I checked a lot of online sites that Nomad owners have put the Harley Batwing on their bikes and had more buffeting. That's form before function.

Some aftermarket makers of clear or tinted handlebar fairings "seem" to provide substantial more protection than the stock windshield.

Right now I'm looking at Harley's frame mounted fairing as it has a very nice aerodynamic design, twin headlights. Unfortunately I just read an article that the rider complained of rather severe buffeting. Nothing would sting like spending OVER $1k for that!.

Member # 0005

Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Mega-Contributor

Windshields & Fairings

At a bike night the other day I saw a 900 Vulcan with one of those Memphis Shades "fairings" on them. Basically it's just a big windshield, but it did appear that the actual windscreen section was replaceable apart from the fairing. It has no inner panel, so no place to mount a stereo, gauges, etc.

Still, it didn't look too bad. Might give them a look, BD. I want a fairing and will probably add one next spring. But I want a full fairing with stereo, etc.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17