Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #1

Recall?

Parts guy showed me copy of letter I would soon be receiving. Sounds like a recall to repair wiring under fuel tank that may chafe? Kicker is......as of today there doesn't seem to be any repair/parts available yet from Kaw. Btw.......should also not ride until recall completed......seriously.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-15-2015, 06:27 AM   #2

Which model and year?

Old 09-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #3

I was at my stealer yesterday afternoon picking up parts and the service guy comes running out from behind the counter and says give me your ownership we just received a recall on your bike model going back to 2009 for both Voyager and Vaquaro I think he said. Mine is a 2014 and the serial number did not show up, and neither did the other guy with the 2012 that was there, but he told me that allot of the bikes they sold are not showing up as it only listed like 6 bikes and they sell 3-4 a year so he suspects the recall went out before all the serial numbers where added. He told me they are just going to order a dozen or so of the repairs kits so that it is a call to the customer and bring it right in to get fixed. Says it looks like the fix only takes about 15 minutes to complete. The recall is definitely for the ignition wiring issue some of the older bikes have had issues with getting shorted out due to a abnormal wearing of the protective coating. He kept my serial number and will be checking them every day and let me know when and if it comes up. I like my dealer and they treat me like gold. Kind of like the TV show Cheers when i walk in. Sales and Service yell my name. i think it is because I spend allot of money with them and sold a couple bikes for them.

Oh and I am in Canada. not sure it makes a difference but thought I should add it.
VBA #02668
2014 Voyager ABS
Thunder Mfg Tear-drop breather
V&H Slip on's
Ivanated ECU
Air shocks with compressor and remote
Rear speaker kit
Clarion Amp
6.5" speaker adapters
Polk Audio 6.5" front speaker.
RACNRAY ISO grips with throttle mod.
Bushtek Turbo 2+ trailer
LED Headlight
LED Driving lights
Pulsating break light

Last edited by Zeineth; 09-15-2015 at 07:59 AM.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
Advanced Member

I would assume this is the brown wire that gets rubbed by the tank that many of us have already fixed as a preventative measure.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Here is a link to a thread about it. I did mine as soon as I got it home.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/5...-ignition.html

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Here is a copy of the notice from Kawasaki under the recall heading. Click the "IGNITION SWITCH WIRING INSPECTION" below and insert your VIN.

IGNITION SWITCH WIRING INSPECTION--Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. has determined that a problem which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2009-2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager, Voyager ABS, Vaquero, Vaquero ABS.

Note: VIN/HIN required to search for outstanding recalls.
Recall Date:08/31/2015
Remedy: Your Kawasaki dealer will inspect and repair your motorcycle at no charge. The repair consists of replacing ignition switches that have damaged wires and installing additional shielding and padding. The actual repair will take up to three hours but may take longer due to scheduling at the dealership and the time needed to obtain required parts. Please call your Kawasaki motorcycle dealer to schedule an appointment.
Risk: On certain units, one of the ignition switch wires could chafe and short against the bottom of the fuel tank. This could result in the engine stalling possibly creating the potential for a crash resulting in injury or death.
NHTSA Recall #: 15V550
Kawasaki Recall #: MC15-10
Consumer Contact:For more information, contact your authorized Kawasaki dealer or call Kawasaki toll-free at 866-802-9381 between 8:00am and 5:00pm PT, Monday through Friday.

Last edited by badboy194; 09-15-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
Advanced Member

So if they replace the wire harness and ignition switch the bike will need a different key for ignition, won't match the key for the other locks?
I had all this done in 2010, wire rubbed through and dealer went to order a new switch under warranty until I mentioned the key problem, he got approval to replace the complete lock set so I have one key for everything.
I guess we will wait so see what the repair kit consists of.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
So if they replace the wire harness and ignition switch the bike will need a different key for ignition, won't match the key for the other locks?
I had all this done in 2010, wire rubbed through and dealer went to order a new switch under warranty until I mentioned the key problem, he got approval to replace the complete lock set so I have one key for everything.
I guess we will wait so see what the repair kit consists of.
The tumbler set can be removed from the ignition switch once removed from the bike and swapped into the new switch. Thus preventing a dual key situation. Not sure how they will address it but this is one way. Also the recall says only those bike with damaged ignitions will have the switch replaced. If no damage to the wiring then just the wiring will be retro fitted to prevent possible chaffing and grounding issues in the future.

"Kawasaki will notify owners, and dealers will install additional shielding and padding to prevent the ignition wire from shorting. Any igniton switch that has damaged wires will be replaced. These repairs will be performed free of charge."
VBA #02668
2014 Voyager ABS
Thunder Mfg Tear-drop breather
V&H Slip on's
Ivanated ECU
Air shocks with compressor and remote
Rear speaker kit
Clarion Amp
6.5" speaker adapters
Polk Audio 6.5" front speaker.
RACNRAY ISO grips with throttle mod.
Bushtek Turbo 2+ trailer
LED Headlight
LED Driving lights
Pulsating break light

Last edited by Zeineth; 09-16-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Top Contributor

This morning I have received from Kawasaki - Italia an email for a recall of my Vaq.

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:30 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Checked mine today. The wires are sheathed all the way down to the plug that goes into the harness. It came like that from factory. Also I have about 1/4 inch distance from the tank for all four of the wires that go to the harness. And the plug is about 1/16th inch from even touching the tank. I was able to look down at the wires by removing the ignition trim ring. I think I am safe from any issues. I need my bike for Daytona in 30 days. Cant wait.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #11

Greetings,
Popped my VIN into the link provided. No indication one way or another. The page did refresh, but did not indicate if mine was a YES or a NO. Guess I will call the Stealership...
Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 09-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #12
Advanced Member

If bikes are not showing up I would push the issue hard with Kaw. NHTSA says it's all Voyagers and 2011 and up Vaq's.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...od_ids=1993694

Old 09-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #13

Got my notification today so guess will be contacting dealer Monday
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Old 09-21-2015, 11:34 PM   #14

Got my notice today.....goes in next Tuesday.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #15
Advanced Member

I inspected the wiring and it appears to be fully sheathed with a heavy guage plastic wrap from the ignition switch all the way to the main plug the connects into the wire loom of the main harness. Nothing is touching the tank at all. What extra protection are they adding? My notice arrived yesterday.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.