Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 06-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Completed My First Experienced Rider Course

Saturday afternoon in northeast Ohio was 90 degrees and sunny. Although there was a decent breeze, it wasn't a day to be doing slow motorcycle maneuvers on asphalt in the blazing sun for 6 hours with the required MSF attire.

But it was a GREAT class! It's been 12 years since I took the Basic Rider Course and I was overdue for a refresher. I thought I did pretty well considering that I don't practice slow maneuvering - I tend to get out and ride and just don't think about practicing, but that's gonna change.

Although the class had full enrollment, only 5 showed so we were able to get more time for each exercise. It was a good mix of bikes: Nomad, Road King, Shadow, ST1300 and Rocket III. All of us were in our 50s and despite the fact that the other 4 guys claimed to have ridden for decades, I was the only one who didn't put my foot down. The Road King got dropped.

It was an eye opener. I was thinking that these guys were gonna make me look bad. The grizzled old H-D guy with 2 Road Kings dropped his and I thought for sure that the ST1300 could turn around inside a phone booth, but he was having trouble staying inside the box.

I found it difficult to find the friction zone on the Nomad - same thing with my Intruder 1500. After a while on some exercises I was overthinking and would probably do better to practice alone. But overall I thought I did well. I reviewed the Ride Like a Pro DVD a few times over the past month and that really helped in remembering to turn my head and eyes and keep my feet on the floorboards.

Login or Register to Remove Ads