Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 03-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Advanced Member

A license to drive.

Having been a long-distance truck driver for nearly 15 years, with 1 1/2 million accident free miles to my credit, and growing up around various dirtbikes, ATV's, and a few smaller streetbikes, I have told myself I'm a pretty good driver/rider. Opinions will vary, I know!

Prior to purchasing my Nomad, I had let my motorcycle endorsement lapse, and it had been a ten years since I'd done any riding. I had the oppurtunity to borrow a friend's bike to take to the DMV, but thought better of it, and took a Motorycle Training course instead for a couple hundred bucks or so. My reasoning was, even though I have ridden, know how to ride, etc., a little refresher course sure wouldn't hurt anything. And, I don't like borrowing a friend's bike.

Now I realize we all gotta start somewhere, but while observing the various people on the course, it became very obvious very quickly that some of these people are going to pass the course and yet in no way be ready to ride on the highway, much less metro Phoenix.

I think it's WAY to easy to get a license to operate various motor vehicles in this country. The amount of training/experience required to meet the state minimums is pretty ridiculous, in my opinion.

Any thoughts on that, or am I just being a self-righteous stick-in-the-mud? What changes would you make?

Login or Register to Remove Ads