Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 05-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #1

Man Down; Okay though; bike not so much

Well...

400 miles ride and less than two miles from home; turned left onto a two-lane rural road that was covered in some type of oil. I didn't see the oil slick. It just looked like it would regularly. (No one is sure what the oil is -- looks like vegetable oil.

Police are calling the county about the problem; and are manning the area until the county brings sand out to cover-up the oil and a warning sign.) One cop about fell on his butt walking on the stuff. Like I said, it looks like vegetable oil -- not road oil.

Bike went down and tumbled end-over-end. Just about everything on it has some sort of damage from the tumbling.

I went hands first to the pavement (couldn't help it). Side of helmet hit the pavement hard; as did my left shoulder. I tuck and rolled for quite a few feet. Came up a bloody mess. Cars witnesses it and several stopped and called an ambulance. I didn't argue; since I wasn't sure what hurt; or was bleeding.

Bike looks totaled from what I can see; if not it is nearly so.

Me, I have a small gash on my left chin; a large-gash in the palm of my right hand. Sternum hurts really bad from the impact of the pavement (although it didn't hit the pavement); but the shoulder did -- probably causing the sternum to hurt. (Pavement is real hard no matter how slow you might be going.)

Was wearing leather chaps, heavy coat, and a helmet. I had just taken off my gloves at the stop prior. Had been wearing them all day. If I had them on I wouldn't have been cut on the hand. Otherwise; my gear kept me from more injuries, I am sure.

Ambulance medics checked me over and allowed me to go home first. Waiting for my wife to get home to take me to the Urgent Care for stitches and x-rays.

Pictures and details later.

WATCH OUT FOR ANYTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT BE SLICK!! It will take you out in a split-second!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads