Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #1

A good day

Yesterday morning we were sitting in the living room, chatting over coffee about how we wanted to spend the day. Ann and I rarely get a full day to ourselves, so Saturday was a rarity. We thought about laundry, cleaning the kitchen, trimming that hedge in the front yard that's way overgrown, all that fun stuff. Then she get a little twinkle in her eye and said, "Let's go see Kim & Rachel.".

Rachel is our Goddaughter and Kim is her mom. We make it a point to spoil Rachel rotten whenever we get to see her. It's our revenge for when Kim did the same thing to our two grown girls. We take her out for ice cream, let her sit on the bikes, and generally frustrate the hell out of mom and have a great time.

So we gear up and open the garage doors to a beautiful Texas day. It was about 65 with a few clouds and a light breeze. Perfect. In no time, we're off. It take about 2 hours via the freeway to get across DFW to her house, but we decided to take the more scenic route south then east. After we get out of town we settle the bikes into a nice 65 mph cruising speed, put our feet up on the pegs and relax.

After awhile we get into the more rural areas about 40 miles away. The Piney Woods have some absolutely fantastic riding - long, slow sweepers, rolling hills, pines along the road and friendly farmers in their trucks waving as we roll by. Soon, we are meandering all over the area, taking the rights and lefts as we feel like and as they come. Four hours later, we're still about 16 miles from Kim's house. So we stop and let her know we'll be by after lunch.

Stopped at a Fudrucker's, a burger joint I've never been to, but Ann raves about. My love of huge, meaty bacon cheesburgers with jalepeno's is well known, and I tucked into a 2/3 pounder with chipotle BBQ sauce that was simply outstanding. Onion rings and a thick chocolate shake had me stuffed and ready for a nap.

Outside, we saw an older gentleman and a girl pull up on a Goldwing trike, and we struck up a conversation. Turns out he's out with his Granddaughter on her very first motorcycle ride. She is grinning ear to ear and obviously enjoying every minute with Grampa. After lunch we go our separate ways, and give a hearty wave to them as they take off.

Another hour of backroads and we finally end up at Kim's. Unfortunately, Rachel is overnighting at a friend's house, so no ice cream this trip (and I don't think I could've fit it in with that burger if I tried, anyway). Kim and Ann spent some time catching up while I sat out back and enjoyed the warm afternoon.

About an hour later, it was time to go. We headed off toward home, but with nighttime fast approaching, we decided to take the major highways back. 175 North is typically uncrowded, smooth and enjoyable. The Nomad was purring in the cool evening air as we rolled along. At one point, the highway rises up over the terrain and if the timing is right, the panoramic sunsets are something to behold. We timed it perfect and were rewarded with a glorious sunset of reds, pinks, purples and blues spread across our entire field of view. Words don't do it justice.

After awhile longer, we hit I-20W towards home. I don't know why, but I love riding the freeways at night. There's very little traffic, the road is smooth, and the air cool and refreshing. More than once I found myself doing well over the 60 mph limit, and sometimes Ann had to remind me to slow down and let her catch up.

We got home about 7:30, 320 miles later and completely spent, but grinning from ear-to-ear. A glass of wine over dinner, a warm fire, and we both passed out.

The last thing I heard Ann say before we fell asleep was, "Hunny, that was an awesome ride."

Yes, it truely was.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
A good day

Ah, memories. They are precious. I pray that we all get the chance to make lots of great memories.

Sounds like a wonderful day.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #3

A good day

HAPPY 4 U!! It just doesn't get any better. The ONLY sad thing about a day like that, is not every body gets to have one. Aren't we glad we ride.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #4

A good day

Green w/envy!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 02-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #5

A good day

That sounds like a GREAT day, not a good one!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #6

A good day

Sounds great and Fudrucker's is fantastic, I know how it is some times time just flies by, a friend and I were going to ride out to the lake and back yesterday round trip is 16 miles well 200 miles we got back home.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #7

A good day

PRICELESS!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #8

A good day

You did a good job of writing up that story. I could vision your trip as I read about it. Hope you get many more like it.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #9

A good day

Sounds like a perfect day.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
Advanced Member

A good day

Ride on Taranis.

Quoting schoeney "Green w/envy"

Old 02-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #11

A good day

Great post T. I went along for the ride.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 02-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
Advanced Member

A good day

That brought tears to my eyes. "That" was the definition of a "Perfect Day"........But, I don't know, that ice cream sure sounded good!!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 05:33 AM   #13

A good day

thanks for your post...........it was a crowded ride.........you took us all with you............