Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-30-2021, 10:21 PM   #1

Vaquero Owners, have you experienced this?

Hey Everyone,
I currently ride a 2010 Kawasaki Voyager, have not had any issues, but have the opportunity to buy a 2014 Vaquero with only 7100 miles. I need imput on what I think is an issue with the bike. Bike is black, its beautiful. When I went to test ride it today, it did not feel like I think it should. It was like riding a bike with the WIDE rear tire. In the steering to turn left/right was REAL TIGHT. I couldn't lean into a turn I had to push hard on the handlebars to make the turn. I had a friend go out and ride it, he has rode everything out there and he said, it doesn't feel right, its to tight, it should be that hard to make a turn. I have been riding the Voyager for years, I've rode my share of bikes and have never experienced this. This can't be normal? I called another friend and he said that in his opinion he thinks it might be a bad steering stem bearing?
Please email your thoughts and opinions to my email please:
jm24poker@aol.com
Thanks to all of you!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-30-2021, 11:45 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Did you lift up the front end of the bike and turn the handlebars from left to right full lock. Is the steering tight ? A bad steering head bearing should not make the steering tight. It should feel loose with a bad bearing, not tight.

Take a good look at the fork legs from the side. Are they straight ? Are the tires the stock sizes ? Are the tire pressures as they should be ?

Old 07-01-2021, 01:54 AM   #3

Vaquero Owners

Nope, did none of what you mentioned. Thanks for the pointers. My friend was questioning what if the bearing wasn't grease packed properly and dry, would that make the steering feel tight? Will be going out to see the bike again Friday and will apply everything the forum responses tell me to look for.
Thanks for your reply!

Old 07-01-2021, 07:05 AM   #4

sure sounds like tire pressure/wear as in a rider riding mostly straight up and the tires have a wear ridge that you are steering over . just a thought

Old 07-01-2021, 07:55 AM   #5

tire pressure and size .....I've ridden with guys and they complain and have 20 PSI .....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm24poker View Post
Nope, did none of what you mentioned. Thanks for the pointers. My friend was questioning what if the bearing wasn't grease packed properly and dry, would that make the steering feel tight? Will be going out to see the bike again Friday and will apply everything the forum responses tell me to look for.
Thanks for your reply!
Dry grease wont make the steering feel tight. Overtight steering bearings would make the steering feel tight.
Get the front wheel off the ground and check the steering from lock to lock.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:30 AM   #7
Advanced Member

20 psi is WAY too low for a bike like a big cruiser. Tire pressure that low causes too much heat build up in the tire, excessive uneven tire wear and cupping, possible rim damage on sharp bumps, sluggish/mushy feel in handling and steering. I run my 1600 Classic with at least 32 psi front and 36 rear, but most often 40 psi front and 42 psi rear. Then I adjust the suspension to get the right sag and damping. The tires are part of the suspension, but at 20 psi that is like trying to make the tires BE the suspension. On my BMW R1100RS and my BMW R1200RT is also run the front tire at 40 psi and the rear tire at 42 psi, and I routinely get 12000 miles from a set of sport touring tires before the wear bars surface even with the center of the tread.

First off, increase your tire pressures to at least 34 psi front and 36 psi rear. See how it feels and responds handling wise. The difference will be dramatic. Aside from that I agree to get the front end off the ground with the bike straight up and stable. Then simply push lightly on one grip and the front wheel should easily flop over to that side. Repeat in the other direction and the same should happen. If the handlebar turns a bit and stops it indicates the lower bearing race in the steering head has become peened with dent marks from the bearing balls. Those peen marks make the sweep of the handlebar feel "notchy" from side to side.

If it feels smooth but still hangs up, then the steering head bearing preload is way too tight. Tight steering head bearings make it difficult for the forks to easily swing in response to rider inputs and response to road irregularities.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
20 psi is WAY too low for a bike like a big cruiser. Tire pressure that low causes too much heat build up in the tire, excessive uneven tire wear and cupping, possible rim damage on sharp bumps, sluggish/mushy feel in handling and steering. I run my 1600 Classic with at least 32 psi front and 36 rear, but most often 40 psi front and 42 psi rear. Then I adjust the suspension to get the right sag and damping. The tires are part of the suspension, but at 20 psi that is like trying to make the tires BE the suspension. On my BMW R1100RS and my BMW R1200RT is also run the front tire at 40 psi and the rear tire at 42 psi, and I routinely get 12000 miles from a set of sport touring tires before the wear bars surface even with the center of the tread.

First off, increase your tire pressures to at least 34 psi front and 36 psi rear. See how it feels and responds handling wise. The difference will be dramatic. Aside from that I agree to get the front end off the ground with the bike straight up and stable. Then simply push lightly on one grip and the front wheel should easily flop over to that side. Repeat in the other direction and the same should happen. If the handlebar turns a bit and stops it indicates the lower bearing race in the steering head has become peened with dent marks from the bearing balls. Those peen marks make the sweep of the handlebar feel "notchy" from side to side.

If it feels smooth but still hangs up, then the steering head bearing preload is way too tight. Tight steering head bearings make it difficult for the forks to easily swing in response to rider inputs and response to road irregularities.
Just a thought, What if your rear suspension has to much air in the shocks, it with the extra weight in the front, PLUS a low tire pressure may inhibit your steering some. But I'm guessing the head bearing is to tight.
I have a socket to adjust my head bearing so I have to use the Flop method to adjust the tightness. If you had the Spanner wrench then it would be more accurate. But would It be the same torque if the head bearings were replaced with the ALL BALLS 22-1039 ???
Just a few thoughts, and I am not a mechanic. I bleed every time I pick up a wrench.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 07-03-2021, 04:47 PM   #9

I'm a custom bike builder and mechanic, and I second the tire pressure issue (too low up front would cause slow, lazy response). I'd also look at the brake calipers and see if one is dragging. A bike that is braking doesn't like to be banked. Find a way to get the wheels off the ground and check the steering and spin the wheels by hand.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 07-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #10

spot on....

Old 07-05-2021, 01:22 PM   #11
Advanced Member

A while back I got my BMW R1200RT out for an early season ride, and I failed to check the tire pressures before going out. By the time I turned out of the driveway it felt heavy, sluggish, and after just going around the block I was back at my garage and pumping up the tires. I found only 20 psi on the front. Back up to 40 psi everything felt accurate and responsive again.

Check your tire pressures and find what gives the steering feel you want with the ride comfort desired. For some that would be 30 psi, others would prefer 36 psi, but 20 psi is way too low in general. I bet any tire technician from any motorcycle tire company would say low tire pressure is THE biggest reason for tire wear, tire cupping, tire heat, and that most bikes on the road are on under-inflated tires.