Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #1

adjustable air ride?

Im thinking of adding an air compressor and controls for adjustable air ride on my nomad. Ive been looking at xotic customs setup. Anyone have any opinions of their setup? Or has anyone added a setup to the existing factory air shocks? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160618_130121.jpg (97.9 KB, 14 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #2

I have a firestone riderite compressor setup located where the goat bladder used to be mounted in a plastic box, switch and gauge mounted on my handlebars. Metal plate between exh.pipe and oil sending unit is where I mounted the box. Box opening (No Top!) is pointed at the oil sending unit, with the compressor mounted upright on the inside of the box. Keeps road crap off it, yet still has plenty of room for cooling. The area right above where the goat bladder was, has alot of open area there....
I mount my stock airshocks back on the bike when I pull my trailer. I can fill up tires off it, should I get a flat, or blow things off. Otherwise, I ride on Progressive 412HDs. One day when I find a pr. of the Progressive air shocks either on sale cheap or a good used pr. someones taking off their bike, I'll hook them up permanently.

Bought this on sale a few years ago from summit....comes with compressor and everything you need to hook it up and monitor your air shocks....
I left off the red airline and bought a 10' roll of black from O'Reillys for about $6-8....
It will go from 0-30psi in about 20 seconds. Switch beside gauge, hold it one way, it airs up your shocks, hold it the other way, it lets air out of shocks....
Its mounted right between my risers.
One thing really nice, when your first getting on the road, you can add or subtract air with the switch while your riding....the switch remains in the neutral position....go over really rough roads, add some, the gauge reads your line pressure in your shocks. Smooth road, you can let some out....Air down rate is about the same as the fill up rate, so your not steadily messing with the switch. I also have one mounted on my truck with the air bladders, for pulling trailers.
https://www.amazon.com/Firestone-WR1...=ride+rite+kit

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 10-17-2016 at 02:54 AM.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:20 AM   #3

Another thing, When I have the airshocks off my bike, I have a plug that I screw into a compression fitting that seals it off. Out of the compressor, I put a Tee, and a 1/8" ball valve, hose ran with a quick connect located at the bottom of my right side bag guard. In my tool roll, I have a small rolled up hose, about 6' long, with air chuck on other end.
I've added air to about 6 riders tires in the past few years....comes in handy. Most use it to clean my air cleaner when on those long road trips, or blowing out my spark plug tubes when I check my plugs, etc. Also, when I trailer, I load my tent, its great for filling the air mattress or inflatable beach items, etc....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 10-17-2016 at 05:36 AM.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

Awesome! Thank you for the great information.