Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 05-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #1

Motorcycle Riders Club of America

Got a solicitation in the mail today to join the Motorcycle Riders Club of America. Cost $1 per month. They say they send you all kinds of stuff to try out along with discounts, magazine, etc. Never heard of them on any of the forums I read.
Anybody?

http://www.motorcycleridersclubofamerica.com/home.asp

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Oh! This is one of my favorite topics. If you go to their website and do some digging, you will find out that this "club" is part of a collection of "clubs" of varying interest. Sewing, fishing, woodworking, whatever. This is a data mining operation, meaning the purpose of the "club" membership is to collect your personal data in order for them to sell you timeshares, insurance, nutritional supplements, book clubs and so forth. Don't get me wrong, what they do is legal. I just think if I am going to join some group supporting my hobby or pastime, I'd want them to do something to further the interest or offer something to the community besides selling my personal information. If you want to support and promote motorcycling, join the AMA or your local ABATE chapter, go on some sponsored charity rides or some oher endeavor to advance the sport or contribute to the community.

Stepping off of soapbox now.

Personal note: I joined their North American Fishing Club years ago. I joined the Handyman Club of America also, and I started to notice similarities between the two. This was before the internet was available widely and a lot of organizations didn't have websites either. It just rubs me the wrong the way they conduct their business.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the heads up CJ..Kind of suspected the same which is why I asked. They do make it look inviting, don't they?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #4

I used to get mail from the North American Fishing club and the hunting club as well a few years ago. I never signed up, but it was tempting with all of the offers they promised. Nobody ever got to try the rods and reels or fishfinders, they sent a cheap quality fishing lure. I found this out from someone who did sign up.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #5

I signed in and found a So.Cal. post..... I posted a link to KawaNOW.... we'll see what happens...

http://mrcaclub.ning.com/profile/NicoMachoDC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2008, 02:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe (mrfuni) #250
Got a solicitation in the mail today to join the Motorcycle Riders Club of America. Cost $1 per month. They say they send you all kinds of stuff to try out along with discounts, magazine, etc. Never heard of them on any of the forums I read.
Anybody?

http://www.motorcycleridersclubofamerica.com/home.asp

I got one of those in the mail last week.
I kept the sticker and filed the rest in the trash.
VBA #146