Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Toll roads

We have no toll roads in AZ, and in fact I have never been on a toll road before. My return trip from the National Rally takes me through Oklahoma. Some of the roads I will be taking, such as the Muskogee Turpike, are toll roads. Can someone from OK who might be familiar with these pipe up and tell me how much the tolls are and in general, what the procedure is?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #2

Toll roads

Cover up your plate, use the automatic tolling lane and don't look back!

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 02-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #3

Toll roads

Oh yeah... there's some more helpful advice. Well done. :(

Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Toll roads

CJ,

Here is the website for Oklahoma toll roads.

http://www.pikepass.com/

A section on top is for maps/tolls. If it is like those in Kansas, get a ticket and pay when you exit or pay when you get on. they also have a contact us section.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 02-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Toll roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman
CJ,

A section on top is for maps/tolls. If it is like those in Kansas, get a ticket and pay when you exit or pay when you get on. they also have a contact us section.
Well thanks, Joel - but I really don't want to open an account or have some sticker on my bike. I'm sure there must be some other way to do it.

Maybe Wanderer or someone can help me out here?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #6

Toll roads

Good recommendation Joel. They have a toll-calculator on the site to figure one's cost and prepare for it.

CJ: You'll see signs telling you when "toll-booths" are coming up -- usually a mile or two ahead of the booths.

You'll look for the lane(s) that are for cash, usually on the right-hand side. (The others are for electronic-pass sensors)

It would be best for you to have your toll-money located up on the bike in a shield-bag or something readily handy and quick -- and in something you can get into when wearing your gloves. (Need plenty of quarters, dimes, and nickels.)

You don't want to tick-off the other drivers behind you by taking too long to pay at the toll-booth. They'll let you know if you do.

You'll typically have to pay a toll when entering and exiting the toll-road also... so be prepared on the ramps to pay... and have exact change for these because they are usually not attended.

Last but least, do not blast-through the "sensor-lanes" with your plate covered as recommended. LOL!!

Don't know about OK; but on the Illinois toll-system... the fines have become very, very stiff. You might as well pay the toll.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Toll roads

Jeez, I'm glad we don't have toll roads out here. What a pain in the arse to deal with! They have suggested them in AZ but the opponents use the argument "why should we have to pay to use roads we already paid for?"

I feel for you guys that have to put up with this stuff on a daily basis.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 02-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #8

Toll roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
We have no toll roads in AZ, and in fact I have never been on a toll road before. My return trip from the National Rally takes me through Oklahoma. Some of the roads I will be taking, such as the Muskogee Turpike, are toll roads. Can someone from OK who might be familiar with these pipe up and tell me how much the tolls are and in general, what the procedure is?
It's pretty much like GLWilson stated.

I live in OK and use a PikePass but you can pay with change at all locations and cash at some that are attended. The Muskogee Turnpike has operators at the toll locations if I remember correctly. There is a basket at the unattended booths to toss your change in. There are usually signs stating the charge before entering the turnpike and it's also posted at the toll basket collection point.

This state is full of Turnpikes and after you have been on a few you will be wondering WHY we pay to take them? Because that's how it works around here! lol

Skeeter
PGR #330
VBA #01391

When you’re PSYCHOTIC you never ride A L O N E !

Old 02-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #9

Toll roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Don't know about OK; but on the Illinois toll-system... the fines have become very, very stiff. You might as well pay the toll.

I accidentally did that in Illinois once. First time on a toll road, drove thru the speed-lane and kept going. Its not like I could turn around and go back. At the next booth I explained what happened and the (insert sarcasm tone) pleasant lady gave me a little envelope to mail in the 35 cents or whatever it was. I was going to but couldn't find an Illinois post office. Never been back since. Wondering if they are still looking for me?

Old 02-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Toll roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadant
Quote:

I accidentally did that in Illinois once. First time on a toll road, drove thru the speed-lane and kept going. Its not like I could turn around and go back. At the next booth I explained what happened and the (insert sarcasm tone) pleasant lady gave me a little envelope to mail in the 35 cents or whatever it was. I was going to but couldn't find an Illinois post office. Never been back since. Wondering if they are still looking for me?
Haha, your picture is probably hanging in the post offices in IL. "Have you seen this man?"
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 02-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Toll roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadant
Quote:

Did see your picture at the local post office.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 02-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Toll roads

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman
CJ,

Well thanks, Joel - but I really don't want to open an account or have some sticker on my bike. I'm sure there must be some other way to do it.

Maybe Wanderer or someone can help me out here?
Scott, you don't have to open an account. Just popped this up as they have the rates and a calculator on the top of the page. You can pay cash at these.

Read on their page that 40% of their income comes from people outside of Oklahoma.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Old 02-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #13

Toll roads

They are not likely coming after you if this was a long time ago. However within the last several years they have gone "all-out" to follow up with offenders no matter where they live.

I have an I-pass; but still received fines from them once. They included pictures of my car and license plate for each violation.

It was my car and license plate alright. I remembered going thru the tolls; but couldn't figure why they were fining me when I had the I-pass and plenty of money in the account.

Come to find out. Each I-pass can only be assigned to two cars at once. Apparently I didn't update my account with my new car and plate number -- thus they fined me.

I was able to resolve it and have the fines removed once I called in to explain.

Once in a while we'll read where someone gets caught and fined. It seems each fine is somewhere around $75. Far more than just paying the toll.

Regarding toll-roads in OK; it is likely the only way to pay for them given the population in that state. So I don't believe taxpayers in OK are covering the cost of toll-roads -- but rather those who use them. More of a user's tax; which I don't mind. If you don't use it... you don't pay for it.

In Illinois, taxpayers do not pay for those roads either. Only users pay for it. However, Illinois does have the population to pay for it if they wanted; but instead the "corruption" in this state from many years back thought of the idea as a way to make "extra-money" without having to fully-account for it. For many years you would hear about politicians getting busted for taking money from the toll-system. I do believe they have cleaned it up a bit since then; but I have also noticed it hasn't gone away either!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Toll roads

Just another way of government complicating people's lives.

Joel, I dug a little deeper in that website and found most of the information I was looking for. I still don't know if the toll booths/collection receptacles accept coins only or coins and bills.

I suppose I've led a sheltered life. ::)
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 02-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Toll roads

Quote:
Just another way of government complicating people's lives.

Joel, I dug a little deeper in that website and found most of the information I was looking for. I still don't know if the toll booths/collection receptacles accept coins only or coins and bills.

I suppose I've led a sheltered life. ::)
They have a place to contact them on the website. Just ask them.
VBA 213
VROC 16913