Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #1

removed the baffles.

I have been thinking of adding V&H Mufflers and making the Chuckster Air Intake mod. However, while talking to a fellow member on the phone he suggesting that I remove the baffles from the stock mufflers.

May I ask -

what does removed the baffles do to the performance of the bike?

To the sound?

I note that a lot of you have done it - are you glad you did?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
removed the baffles.

Ranger I did it August 2009 and don't regret it at all. Just has a deeper sound to it. Removes just a tad of weight and seems that I don't feel as much heat from the exhaust. Would I do it again? I certainly would. I enjoy the difference in sound.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 10-08-2010, 01:42 AM   #3

removed the baffles.

Personally I don't think it helps performance wise. Like AlabamaNomadRider said, it does make the exhaust pipes seem cooler.

The sound at idle and low rpm seems much deeper. The bike will have a rumble and sound much better. In my opinion, the rumble goes away as the engine rpm climbs and the bike can't be heard over the tires of the cagers around you.

Many guys have debaffled and then later progressed to V&H or Cobra pipes. Which I think sound much better than debaffling.

When I bought my Nomad it had stock pipes. I had a debaffled set from my old bike and I quickly put them on. I plan to change pipes later when I have more time to jack with it. Plus I can't decide which pipes. I do like the sound of Jamie's Jardines.

I am hosting a KNOW session on Nov. 6th to install Chuckster's air intake plate. Your invited, Bill.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:26 AM   #4

removed the baffles.

Debaffled w/Valkyrie tips. Not too noisy and not too quiet. No fuel processor.

Glad I did it but the Valkyrie tips were the finishing touch I needed. They carry the sound just a tad farther behind my ears so I don't hear the thumping at highway speed.

Just be careful when drilling.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
Top Contributor

removed the baffles.

Debaffled mufflers are perfect for me, not too loud but sounds like a V twin and not a Singer sewing machine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #6

removed the baffles.

There seem to be two schools of thought when it comes to exhaust noise on our bikes.

One is, our bikes aren't loud enough, I want LOUD PIPES!!!!

Other is, our bikes aren't loud enough but I don't want LOUD PIPES!!!!

I thought my bike wasn't loud enough. I loved the way Vance & Hines Classic Duals sounded on other guys bikes so I put a set on mine. I loved the way they sounded around town and on a short ride they were great. But I travel on my bike and after 2-3 hours at Interstate speeds they just were too dang loud! I couldn't hear the stereo, my ears were ringing and my head was pounding. After about 6000 miles and 6 months while trying a fiberglass re wrap of the baffles and then adding a tin silencer wrap around part of the baffle I gave up and took the V&H off.

Of course then the stock system was so quiet I couldn't stand it! So I "De Baffled" my stock pipes. And I like the result. It sounds good idling but not too loud, around town when I get on it I can "hear" my V-Twin rumble but again, it's not too loud. And folks are right, when I am on the Interstate running 75 mph I can barely hear my exhaust and for me that is a good thing.

I got to spend quite a bit of time on a chassis dyno with my bike. Exhaust changes make very little differences in power output on our bikes unless you carry them to the extreme and then you just lose power. Our bikes are going to make 60-70 HP and 80-90 lbs TQ no matter what you do to the exhaust.

My advice is, Try the De Baffle first! It can be done in about 1 hour and for the $20 cost of metal hole it's a very cheap solution. And if that doesn't satisfy you, then spend the $400-$600 for a full exhaust system from V&H or Cobra and see if thats what you want.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 10-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #7

removed the baffles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosco
I gave up and took the V&H off.
Do you still have the Vance & HInes? If you do, do you want to sell them and how much?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #8

removed the baffles.

I also debaffled and added the Valkyrie tips. Couldn't ask for a better sound! Wouldn't trade it for anything. As others have said, there's not a performance change, but the sound is much, much better. Nice to hear around town and on the streets, but comfortable when cruising the highways and long distances.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 10-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #9

removed the baffles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac
Personally I don't think it helps performance wise. Like AlabamaNomadRider said, it does make the exhaust pipes seem cooler.

The sound at idle and low rpm seems much deeper. The bike will have a rumble and sound much better. In my opinion, the rumble goes away as the engine rpm climbs and the bike can't be heard over the tires of the cagers around you.

Many guys have debaffled and then later progressed to V&H or Cobra pipes. Which I think sound much better than debaffling.

When I bought my Nomad it had stock pipes. I had a debaffled set from my old bike and I quickly put them on. I plan to change pipes later when I have more time to jack with it. Plus I can't decide which pipes. I do like the sound of Jamie's Jardines.

I am hosting a KNOW session on Nov. 6th to install Chuckster's air intake plate. Your invited, Bill.
Bill - if you were 400 miles closer or if it were May, I would come down as I will need help with that install :)

Old 10-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #10

removed the baffles.

Dick (aka ba47) re:

Do you still have the Vance & HInes? If you do, do you want to sell them and how much?

Sorry all this went on 2 years ago and I sold my pipes to one of my buddies right after I took them off. Just like a lot of people, he put them on and will never take them off. It's a matter of taste. My only point is a hole saw costs $20 and thats all it takes to do the debaffle mod. Do it and if it is good enough then spend the rest of the $500 that a complete set of pipes would have cost on other stuff!
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 10-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #11

removed the baffles.

I like the sound of the V&H pipes but when Im on the highway I wear earplugs, between the exaust and the wind noise it does become overpowering after a while. They help a lot especially on an all day ride.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #12

removed the baffles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger74
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac

Bill - if you were 400 miles closer or if it were May, I would come down as I will need help with that install :)
Bill, Are you going with the single or double Chuckster? It's really not a difficult job. I have an electronic copy of the double plate instructions. I'll email them to you for a heads up just in case you go with the double plate.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #13

removed the baffles.

Mitch, its a surprise, I was going to let you install my Chucksters dual plate when you come for the KNOW on Nov. 6th. :) I have the plates and am ordering the K&N now.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #14

removed the baffles.

We'll take care of it Bill. I have the silicone and all of the tools required in my saddlebag.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #15

removed the baffles.

Mitch

You said

Bill, Are you going with the single or double Chuckster? It's really not a difficult job. I have an electronic copy of the double plate instructions. I'll email them to you for a heads up just in case you go with the double plate.

What is the difference between single and double?