Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 AM   #1

Trunk

After a road trip on a Harley with a Tour-Pak trunk, I am thinking of one for my 1600 Nomad. Looking at the Scootworks Supertrunk III, has anyone got one and if so what are your thoughts?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-01-2008, 06:49 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to ianicky
Trunk

Hi phot how did the trip go??

Old 04-01-2008, 07:43 AM   #3

Trunk

Just got back to the UK after my road trip in the USA with my wife. We had a great time, flew in to Vegas where we picked up a Harley from Eagle Rider and began our tour. South to Needles/Topock and north on the 66 to Oatman/Kingman. The 66 to Seligman/Ash fork. The 89 to Prescott and back up to Jerome/Sedona/Flagstaff. Holbrook and south to Snowflake/Show Low. Looped around the 73 to Fort Apache then down to Globe. Continued south on the 77 towards Tucson and the 10/83/82 to Tombstone/Bisbee. We then returned up to Tucson/Phoenix to Wickenburg, over to Parker and north through Lake Havasu. Picked up the 40 west and looped on the 66 rejoining the 40/15 to Los Angeles. Did a little run north and back on the Pacific Coast Highway (did the full pacific coast highway on a previous visit) to Santa Barbara before dropping the bike off at Eagle Rider in Hawthorne L.A. We drove 2000 miles in 7 days and met some great friendly folk along the way. Saw some beautifull scenery and remained dry (a shower in Wickenburg). The weather was colder than we expected although clear blue skies were the norm. Worried about being cold on the bike, we had warm gear with us which stayed on nearly all the trip. At the start we wore lighter gear and after the ride to Seligman we froze and sat in a diner shivering over some hot chocolate and lunch. The winds were very strong during most of the trip and at times the side gusts were hitting hard, moving the bike sideways requiring care and concentration on some of the mountainous twisties. The bike performed perfectly and storage was no problem with the bags/top box. We remained pretty comfortable and my wife had no complaints riding pillion. I had never riden a Harley before and was pleasantly surprised with the bike. It drove very much like my 1600 Nomad, but was quite top heavy with the combined weight of the pillion/trunk. The bike was quite new and had only done a few thousand miles, was top spec including electronic cruise control. Fuel stops were a little irritatingly frequent and I suffered a sore face (not experienced before). I was wearing an open face helmet, with glasses and I believe my face was wind burnt, similar to being sun burnt. Once I realised my face was suffering, I pulled up my neck warmer to cover my face/nose and overcame the problem. We used our newly purchased Scala Q2 bluetooth intercom which worked great, fully duplex conversation which added to the enjoyment of the trip. I am sure we will return to ride a bike again on another route, another time. Many thanks to those who gave advise on places to see and routes to take. I am sure we missed some good ones but did as much as we could in the time.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #4

Trunk

These trunks are one of the handiest items to put on a bike, whether to go touring on or to the grocery store. Its an item that I would miss the most on my bike. I use a Harley Tour Pac, and you see them come up on Ebay quite frequently, If I would have had a choice in choosing mine I would have opted for the Ultra Tour Pac, since it has the tailights and sidelights already built into it and there a lot of accessories available for them. These lights make you a lot more visible at night. I was watching a couple of trunks on Ebay a few weeks ago and they both went for approx $1200.00 each, but these were new takeoffs off an 08 Ultra. If you do get a trunk, use a Wompus rack to mount it on the bike, as they seem to be the sturdiest units available. Sounds like you had a great road trip and got to see some nice scenery. Good luck in your search.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #5

Trunk

Hi, Glad you enjoyed your trip. I started to get the "Super trunk III" but decided I didn't like the way the locking mechanism worked, so I opted for the Ultra Classic tour pack (with the tail lights). I won it for $420 on E-Bay. It is an '02 model and had a few scuffs. That was OK because I was going to repaint anyway. Starting with the '06 models, they are made of the ABS plastic. Prior to that, they were fiberglass. Every one I know that has the plastic ones said they would have prefered the fiberglass 'cause it is more ridged, and like Ringadingh said above, The wompus rack is the way to go to mount any trunk to your bike. that is the rack that Scootworks sells, and the one that the super trunk III was designed to mount to. Good luck in your search, and the trunks are really nice to have!

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to ianicky
Trunk

Glad you had a good trip sounds great, if you got any pics what about posting them on the Events / Trip board ??

Old 04-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #7

Trunk

Quote:
I started to get the "Super trunk III" but decided I didn't like the way the locking mechanism worked, so I opted for the Ultra Classic tour pack (with the tail lights). I won it for $420 on E-Bay.
I did consider ebay, but here in the UK there are very few occasions, or none, when this sort of item comes up and buying ebay in the USA is not easy, some not happy to ship. I can see wompus is the preferred mount.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #8

Trunk

Quote:
I was watching a couple of trunks on Ebay a few weeks ago and they both went for approx $1200.00 each, but these were new takeoffs off an 08 Ultra.
I was originally thinking along the lines of the HD Tour-Pak, but that is a lot of money. I also thought that as the Scootworks trunk is very similar, new and plain, it would be easier to work with, bearing in mind I will be painting to match my bike. I can then add items such as lights as required. Wompus is certainly THE rack.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #9

Trunk

Quote:
Glad you had a good trip sounds great, if you got any pics what about posting them on the Events / Trip board ??
I will hook out some, though I didnt take that many, you know what its like when photography is what you do for a living, tends to get forgotten on holiday.