Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #1

EBC Brake Rotors & Rotor Gasket?

Does anyone have any experience with the EBC brake rotors? I have my bike tore down for a paint job and new tires (2003 nomad 1500fi) and decided while I had the rear wheel off I would replace the rotor since it had a couple of pretty good grooves in it from a previous owner not replacing pads soon enough. I ordered a EBC MD4147 to put on the rear and when I got it, it doesn't have a very good finish on it. it has a slight gold tint with a rainbow like coating on it. It's more like a milled steel instead of a stainless. Not a very good look for a newly repainted bike. The one thing is being on the rear, it wouldn't show much, but still hesitant to use it. I didn't know if this was just the one I got or if that is the way they all are. I bought them on line and asked the seller, but they just told me to contact the manufacturer. So far no reply from them either. For the price, I would think they would look finished at least.

Also I had the front rotors off to polish the rims up and get the tires on. The parts catalog shows a gasket behind the front rotors, but I didn't have any. Are they necessary? I looked into ordering some and no one has them and can't say when they will get them.

Thanks!!
Dobeck TFI

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #2

I don't have any experience with their product, but since you mention it looks like steel, if you put a magnet on it you may be able to get an idea of what you have compared to the old rotor. The two main types of stainless are austenitic and ferritic, ferritic stainless steels are generally magnetic while austenitic stainless steels usually are not. A ferritic stainless steel owes its magnetism to two factors: its high concentration of iron and its fundamental structure. I am thinking if it were some kind of steel the attraction would be strong, ferritic stainless, an attraction but probably less than steel and no attraction, austenitic stainless.
I would think for durability the rotor would be some form of ferritic stainless.
Perhaps it is unpolished and the coloring you see is some form of protective coating.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Last edited by cnc; 01-04-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #3

Here is the manufacturers description of their product. MD 4147
According to their catalog that is the number they are showing for your bike with no other alternatives.

PRO-LITE BRAKE ROTORS

• Complete bolt-on and go rotor assemblies
  • Made with forged aluminum center hubs, high-friction billet steel rotor rings and sturdy riveted construction
  • Select front rotors available with SD-System® of square-sided buttons that allow the rotor to expand inwards and outwards unrestrained for perfect rotor functionality at any speed or load and increased durability
  • Excellent choice when upgrading or replacing original brake rotors
  • All rear rotors are solid mount
  • Sold each
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBC Catalog.JPG (77.3 KB, 11 views)