Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 10-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #1

Central Region Site for Rides?

Well it has been a idea of mine for a long time to have a "side-project" to provide "riders" ideas for rides within our region.

I have seen about every site for our region that tries to provide ride ideas; however many seem to fall short of getting it done.

I realize this would be quite an undertaking; however I do believe it can be done in time with the help of others providing help.

Anyway... anyone think I am nuts... or is there a possible idea here?

Okay... I know... I am leaving myself wide-open for various comments - slams - and etc!! Just go ahead and get that stuff out of the way and enjoy yourself doing so -- but then when you are done... let me know your thoughts on this idea.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #2

i like the idea but like you say may be tough

National Rally 2009 - Custer, SD
NorthCentral Regional Rally 2010 - Prairie du Chien, WI
National Rally 2011 - Maggie Valley, NC

Old 10-24-2009, 12:04 AM   #3

I was over in the west central area of Iowa two weeks ago and found a bunch of twisties, long valleys, rivers, hills, very scenic. It was an area around Moorhead, Soldier, Harlan, Preparation State Park, etc. Just east of the Missouri River. I kept thinking how this area would be fun for a group ride. When we were driving the area, Donna kept saying, "I know what you are thinking!" She was right, as usual.

Also, the area around Winterset, IA (the covered bridges of Madison county) looks pretty good. This is an area south of Des Moines. I wanted to ride this area in October, but the weather has been pretty unpredictable, and now it's almost November!

Is this the kind of rides you are talking about, Greg? Ray would like the twisties! Right, Ray?
Dave

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 10-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #4

Yes Dave. I would eventually like to be able to section each state and have the better roads listed for reference.

It would be preferred if routes were created that one could follow from point-A to point-B.

Routes would take into consideration the direction of the route and the sequence of roads that would provide the best scernery, views, road-curves, rest-stops, fuel, and so on.

For me, I couldn't possibly cover all the areas in Wisconsin, let alone parts of Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, or the Dakota's.

Anyway... have been thinking about this for quite some time, and may very well start this winter in putting the basics together.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 10-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #5

I'll see if I can put together something. I'll use your guidelines and see what happens. Dave

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #6

Greg,
I found a good one! It is the Loess Hills Scenic Byway. It runs about 200 miles from Akron, IA to the border of Missouri. The roads are all paved and lots of things to see and do along the way. There are some excursion roads that are gravel but there is enough to see on the blacktop anyway. A few weeks ago I drove part of this area in an SUV. Lots of twisties. If this weather holds, I may try and ride the bike before the snow flies. Look at the map: http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2187/travel.html
and look at the written description: http://www.byways.org/explore/byways...irections.html

Come spring, those who are in the East can bunk at our house, then get to Akron, IA the next day and ride partway down the Byway and maybe stay at a B&B. There are lots of possibilities. This would be an easy distance for those who live in the Dakotas and Nebraska.

What do you think? BnG

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Old 10-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #7

BnG;

That's exactly what I am talking about. Looks like this site has really put this one all together for that route. I have bookmarked this site for reference. I checked the pictures out and it looks like there are some great roads and scenery to be ridden and seen.

Maybe we'll be able to put something together sometime to make that ride. Looks like that would take several days to complete coming from here though.

Thanks,

Greg

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 10-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #8

It is a ride to consider, for sure.

You could trailer to my house, stay over and we can ride from there. Akron, IA is a bit over 3 hours from my house and that is where the Loess Hills Byway begins south. Once we get to the Missouri border, we can head back north east. I'll see if there are some other interesting places along a northeast route.

We have two extra bedrooms and if others stay over, they can use the front room couches and we have cots too. I'm already planning breakfast! Ha Ha Just thinking out loud.

Folks from the Dakota's, Sioux Falls, Sioux City, etc. can meet us in Akron, IA.
BnG

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Old 10-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #9

let me know when. im in for twistes hell im up for any ride as long as im off of work i just need enough time to get off work

National Rally 2009 - Custer, SD
NorthCentral Regional Rally 2010 - Prairie du Chien, WI
National Rally 2011 - Maggie Valley, NC

Old 10-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #10

We'll have to schedule this around the regional rally, which is in July. S

o... we'll either have to do this early or a bit later next season.

I assume that maybe earlier would be good -- possibly late May thru early June.

I'll bet I could make it all the way to there in one day's driving -- or at least maybe trailering it to your place, and then ride with you and Ray the remaining 3-hours to get there. Then get a room and then ride the ride over the next day or so. Then head on back.

I'll have to see how my scheduling works out; and check with the "boss"! ;)

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #11

Sounds like a plan. I'd like to do it early too, that will help in conditioning my rear end for a long ride. We are planning a ride through the southwestern states this summer then on to California, Oregon, and Washington. Not sure when yet. We'll schedule the Loess Hills Byway Ride around that ride and the regional rally.

It will be great to see you, Kendra, Ray, and others this summer! We'll have a blast!! BnG

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Old 10-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Sounds like fun. I would suggest doing it in May...As far as a fall ride, how about going up to Grand Marais in MN? If you like, those that have legs can go to Thunder bay. Of course my ideal fall ride is New England, but that is more of a trip than I care to make. I'd need 7-8 days for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitsNGravy aka Dave Mills
Sounds like a plan. I'd like to do it early too, that will help in conditioning my rear end for a long ride. We are planning a ride through the southwestern states this summer then on to California, Oregon, and Washington. Not sure when yet. We'll schedule the Loess Hills Byway Ride around that ride and the regional rally.

It will be great to see you, Kendra, Ray, and others this summer! We'll have a blast!! BnG
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 10-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #13

Ponch, That Grand Marais, MN would be a fantastic ride. During September I went fishing walleye up at Lake Kabatagama west of International Falls. That is BEAUTIFUL country. I guess Grand Marais is over 500 miles from Des Moines but it sure would be fun. I looked it up on the net and it appears as if there are some good bike roads up there too, besides the views on Lake Superior. BTW.... how do you pronounce Grand Marais?? BnG

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #14

Doing a bit of internet searching, I found the Iowa has 10 scenic byways, Minnesota has 22, Nebraska has 9, North Dakota has 10, South Dakota has about 5. Wisconsin and Illinois has some too. There is a lot of bike rides and destinations in these states. I don't think I can wait until spring. Ha Ha BnG

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Old 10-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

I would pronounce it "maray", but who knows. I thought Madrid was pronounced ma drid, not mad rid. Or Peru is peeru, or nevada is navayda. Pronunciations can vary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitsNGravy aka Dave Mills
Ponch, That Grand Marais, MN would be a fantastic ride. During September I went fishing walleye up at Lake Kabatagama west of International Falls. That is BEAUTIFUL country. I guess Grand Marais is over 500 miles from Des Moines but it sure would be fun. I looked it up on the net and it appears as if there are some good bike roads up there too, besides the views on Lake Superior. BTW.... how do you pronounce Grand Marais?? BnG
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11