Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #1

I need camo gear (Hunters Help)

Ok I am having a heck of a time. Maybe I need to call on some of you southern boys for help.

I am looking for some lightweight camo. I want something that I can either wear in warm weather or put over my arctic carhart gear in winter. I have found pants in a number of places but jackets I find are almost all insulated. THe only lightweight jackets I found cost as much or more than the insulated ones.

Please help. I am going to go to the army surplus store today and look but that is my last hope locally. I have not found much online either. Turkey season is open and it is getting cold so I am going to need something soon.

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

When I joined the Marine Corps, they gave me all the camo gear I could ever want.

Is there a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop in your area?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #3

we have a cabela's problem is winter is basically here and they aren't really carrying any lightweigh. Unless I want a ghillie suit.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #4

Around here it is Gander Mountin or academy, and wal-mart here has hunting clothes. I go to academy to get my clothes (hunting.)

Old 10-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #5

For my camo clothes I use U.S. army pants and shirt. They are comfortable, and easy to move around in, and wear like iron. Try a Surplus store, or used clothing outlets, you would be surprised at what they have sometimes.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
we have a cabela's problem is winter is basically here and they aren't really carrying any lightweigh. Unless I want a ghillie suit.
Oh, sorry...I forgot that winter still exists in some places. ::)
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #7

You can easily make a poncho out of CAMO NETTING. Comes in several different camo patterns at Walmart. Use a head net and problem solved.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #8

OP, turkey season? Are you going to Washington D.C. to hunt?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

This ISN'T for DEER I hope, and just Turkey right? You better not go huntin deers in camo, unless it is orange and black camo...

For birds all I use in mil camo jeans made by wrangler, which also has woodland camo options, and a gutted mil parka, I cut the guts out of. For turkey I use a camp mesh net I chopped up. This type of net is supposed to hide 4 wheelers parked, but I just chopped one up and wear it oveer my yeahd and shoulders when I lean back on a tree.

Lots like watchman said, other than this netting came from the local Army Navy store.

I get lots of stuff from that store... American Mil camo, German, and others in cotton, nylon and wool. It's all wicked rugged, and cheap.

Much of it is heavy, and so I start chopping out what ever i don't like.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #10

Mac, you don't need hunter orange with the ole "Bulleye".

OP, you may be looking for Gore - Tex. It's pricey but is waterproof and it breathes. We use it down here during warm or cold wet days. Doesn't have to be raining to wear it though. All we need is an orange cap in LA unless you are hunting on State
land. Then an orange vest is required also.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Don't wear Depepnds on the out side either You'll gitchy shot in the butt!

Oncect out deer huntin' I was settin on a ricky knoll, and heard movement. With my thudy thudy i drew down and dam if the ground didn't frizz up and come at me.

I couldn't tell what sort of varmin it was, as it was throwin up sticks and leave debris all over. At 10 paces i dusted it, and when it jumped it came to be a pine marten, we call fischer cats..

Well it didn't like gettin dusted and left.

Next thing came creepin in was a lot more deer like, and I chose the clearing to take my shot.

A friggin MAN stepped into view and hid foolish buddy was 2 steps behind him and both wear in mil camp, two g*d**ned fools.

I got up yelling and they knew I was pissed. I made it so no one with in a mile had any hunting left that day.

Another time and another place I saw this guy in blaze orange from head to toe even his boots.

A few moments passed as he had no idea I was there and his women came along in a brown ankle length fur coat and she had on a fur hat to boot!

I don't think that was any mistake at all..... We had duel Bear and deer season back then. Now I wouldn't miss her as a deer, but she damnned sure looked like a bear.

And then I was in the loop roads on a bolder and really big glaical bolder with a big split, over looking a clear cut and hoping a deer would jump for the flatlanders up the top.

No deer, but they called the hunt and entered the clear cut to friggin shoot off shots, one of which hit my bolder! :(" title="" border="0"/>

That set me off, and I shot back dropping a hemlock limb on them...

Don't shoot because you think no one else is around.

And one day it was some wicked nasty weather in Bear season and I was under an apple tree up in Livermore (old and gone saw mill town)

I was dressed wrong, but figured no one else was a sick as me, so wore a antique black rain coat.

Well some guy came creeping up to my tree, and I was sweatin bullets he would see a part of that coat, but he didn't till I reached out and grabbed the muzzel of his rifle.

I thought that guy was gonna have a heart attack in the spot..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #12

Mac; I can see how grabbing the guys rifle would make him jump, I would have loved to have seen that.
I was out deer hunting earlier today, just as I was getting ready to leave my treestand four deer walked out, but just out of range, about 60 yards. We can wear full camo here in the archery season.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #13

good one al.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 10-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

So can I with a bow... wear full blown camo that is. I go much more primitive than camp with a bow. What gets me is that by law i must use modern arrows, as if real flint and chert never were any good.

It is nice you know what is with in reason for limits. I hate the idea of lost game. I am sure you do too.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #15

Yes Mac it is for Turkey only. THis is our first season. My dad got the itch that we should give it a go.
I don't wear camo for deer. As many of you that have been through eastern SD have seen there ain't much cover to hide in anyway. Our best camo here is just standing perfectly still.
And I actually do where black and orange, black carhart coveralls, black carhart coat, orange vest and hat.
Yeah it's only archery deer that allows full camo here. Waterfowl is camo, turkey is camo. Pheasant and rifle deer is orange. Once pheasant season opens here in SD you can't wear enough orange to keep from getting shot at. We don't hunt them. We do hunt deer and have had people intentionally shoot at me with a shotgun because they were pissed to find out that I was already hunting deer where they wanted to hunt pheasants. They must have forgot that my 270 can shoot a hell of a lot farther than their scatter guns. Last year my buck dropped at just over 1/4 mile. the math worked out to around 600 yds. Aint no 12 guage doin that.

Thanks for the tips on the camo guys. THe netting turned into a poncho was precisely what I was thinking.