Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #1

Nomad Running Ruff

The other day I started my warmed up 06 Nomad and went 10 ft before it stalled, Wouldn't start unless I held the throttle half open and would only run if I kept it there. It started to run rich, blowing smoke out the pipes. Needless to say I had an interesting ride home. I have had this bike since new, 40000 km on it and it has been running like a dream. Cleaned the throttle body and checked electrical connections. Added Sea Foam and it ran ok for a couple of days and under heavy acceleration, started to choke itself off again. Took it into the shop twice, first time they could not find anything wrong with her and I drove her home and it seemed to be running fine. Of course I am leaving for PA on Friday and it started to act up again. Took it back into the shop and this time it appears they located the problem. THE FRIGGIN GAS CAP!!!! Of course it took 2 more hours of labour on top of my first bill so this Nomad Gas Cap ended up costing me close to 500.00 bucks. They installed the new one and so far, under heavy acceleration, the bike is running as it should be. I will keep my fingers crossed. Apparently the spring loaded cap wasn't working as it should have been.

Moral of the story - remember that the fuel tank is pressurized and if your bike runs very ruff and wont idle, open the gas cap first and try it before you take it anywhere.....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #2

Nomad Running Ruff

Thanks for the hint, that seems to be a new one I didn't know about. Too bad it cost that much to figure it out.
Where abouts in Ont. are you located?

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #3

Nomad Running Ruff

Located just outside of Kitchener...small town of Wellesley...

Old 07-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Nomad Running Ruff

Seems like you vacuum locked the gas tank... And to the point the engine starved for fuel.

Have you been in the habit of waxing the cap and key hole? The tank breather uses the key hole I think.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #5

Nomad Running Ruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc150
Located just outside of Kitchener...small town of Wellesley...
Ive been there a few times, Ive taken my Argo there to get fixed at Ron's shop.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-22-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Nomad Running Ruff

Ride your Nomad to Lakewood California and I'll fix your gas cap for only $250!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Nomad Running Ruff

I will remember not to wax my gas cap. I usually just wipe it off.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #8

Nomad Running Ruff

Who would have thought that the little things could end up causing you so much grief and money....and you may be right about the wax thing...i just detailed my bike a couple of weeks ago since it was raining....oh well live and learn. It's the cost of the labour to find the problem that kills you.

Now if it will only stop raining......

Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #9

Nomad Running Ruff

Good to know. I wonder if Gadgets mod for the "whistle" would prevent this from happening to others in the future?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Nomad Running Ruff

Wow, never heard of this type of problem before, sorry you has to be the one to educate us all.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Nomad Running Ruff

The tank vents thru the key hole, and so if it gets clogged bad enough thru the venting system with in the key hole and the rest of the valving and spring then it just might gag and stop passin wind ... When it whisles the wind is exiting, and when it breaths in I don't belive anyone can hear it.

It must breath one way or another and the cali bikes it is most definately another....

Just look at a plastic gas jug capped up tight in the sun! The open it and it poofs out a most dangerouse mix! Don't be making fire while you do that..

On the other hand sun heat gas in a jug apx 1/2 full and then cap it tight, and the can will be all sucked in like Elmer Fudd in the next cold moring...

The green tank I got friggin whisels at me anytime there is Sun..

There still is the Sun right? I belive I watered my garden 3 days this year so far.. I do my weedin in SCUBA gear... The bettles all wear flippers and a face mask too..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #12

Nomad Running Ruff

Well...left for our trip to PA on Friday morning....got around 10 km away and the bike started acting up again. Went as far as Bradford PA and returned home the next day. Needless to say I am not impressed. Now when coming to a stop, the bike goes into a fast idle. Not all the time but when it does i know it is going to start acting up. Blip the throttle and it would not idle down to where it should be. The bike will run good at a steady throttle but if I slow down at all, it starts to cut out so I have to feather the throttle to stop it from bogging down. Some times I had to rev it high for a short time and then it would run ok for a few miles before It would start up all over again and I would have to repeat the process. I would have liked to continue on our trip but I was not comfortable with riding a bike I was unsure of. With the rain we did have, it was interesting having to keep on the throttle....butt pucker factor!

Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem with this nomad. I am at a loss but I am leaning toward one of the sensors but I would have thought the the garage would have picked up on that fact as apparently they pulled the "codes" off of the bike and everything was ok. I will be heading back over to Two Wheel in Guelph first thing tomorrow which will be an interesting discussion. I haven't unpacked yet and I have a couple of weeks left of vacation time so I need to get this bike running.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys......

Dale

Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
Top Contributor

Nomad Running Ruff

Bad air temp sensor will make it run rich under warmer weather conditions......but I am not sure it will explain the fast idle and that extreme rough running.

I think I would be looking toward the throttle position sensor with those symptoms. And, it might not be a sensor but possibly a short or worn insulation somewhere on the wiring harness that is grounding out and sending false info to or from the ECM.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Nomad Running Ruff

could he have open the gas cap and try riding a short distance to prove it was a bad cap for less than $500. just pondering mac??

Old 07-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Nomad Running Ruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd (Nomadis Custodis)
Bad air temp sensor will make it run rich under warmer weather conditions......but I am not sure it will explain the fast idle and that extreme rough running.

I think I would be looking toward the throttle position sensor with those symptoms. And, it might not be a sensor but possibly a short or worn insulation somewhere on the wiring harness that is grounding out and sending false info to or from the ECM.
I had a similar issue with my 1500 last year. Turned out it was the throttle position sensor wire to/from the power commander. It came loose and was creating symtoms very similar to what is being described.