Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 03-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #1

Biker Accident In Group Ride Saturday

I decided to share this story from our group ride last Saturday.

There were about 8 or 10 bikes riding into Solomon's Island, MD, on the water. It was a beautiful sunny 70 degree day and the island was packed! As we all went down the main road, the last biker in our group was hit. A lady in a small Honda SUV turned out from the side of the road, to make a u-turn and struck the last bike. It was a bright yellow GoldWing, so I don't know how the lady missed it!!!! She struck the back right side of the bike and also hit the leg of his lady passenger. This was her first real ride on the bike with him, too :(

She was limping a bit but didn't want an ambulance. We all came back and parked to wait with our fellow biker, after he called the police. Here's the part that blew us all away....

The lady told us she was 52 years old, so she wasn't a young person that didn't know better. She had a brother with her that was probably a few years younger. They BOTH acted so flip about it!!! The brother kept telling us that everybody was okay, and there was no major damage to the bike. He wanted my friend to just take his sister's information and not involve the police or insurance companies. My friend refused. As we waited and waited for the polcie arrive, this brother was getting more and more agitated!!!! He kept insisiting they didn't need the police since there was "no bodily injury". My friend told him there was injury, that his girlfriend's leg has been hit. Then the man yelled that he better called 911 and get an ambulance!!!

Well, this went on for a while, and the brother even started making threats to kick some of our a##es!!!! When he told us all that it was "no big deal" because "nobody was hurt, and the bike damage was small", so many of us got upset at his angry attitude. One friend told him that his sister's "no big deal" could have knocked over or killed a less experienced rider than the one she hit. Eventually, they got tired of waiting, and she gave the rider a piece of paper with her info and LEFT!!!!!

I just wanted to share my witness to the lack of respect we have as bikers from some people..... *shakes head* We know accidents can happen, but when they get out of the vehicle with a chip on their shoulder....acting like they are being really inconvienced by waiting for the police.... ::)

I haven't gotten an update yet this morning on my friend's girlfriend, but I hope she did end up getting her leg checked out.

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #2

I would have told them if they leave before the police arrive I would have them arrested for leaving the scene of a personal injury accident. If they still left I would have have followed hrough with the threat.
I would have also made sure the driver understood her brother was a horses ass and not helping the situation and have her try to shut him up.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #3

Someone from your group should have followed them after they left the scene.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
I would have told them if they leave before the police arrive I would have them arrested for leaving the scene of a personal injury accident. If they still left I would have have followed through with the threat.
+1
And that is a major offense out this way.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
I would have told them if they leave before the police arrive I would have them arrested for leaving the scene of a personal injury accident. If they still left I would have have followed hrough with the threat.
I would have also made sure the driver understood her brother was a horses ass and not helping the situation and have her try to shut him up.
Damn straight!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #6

This is what's crazy about the state of Maryland.....
After they left, my friend called the police back. They confirmed what she said, that as long as she left her information, she could leave!!!!!! When my friend asked about having some kind of report for the insurance companies, the officer on the phone told him to come by the next day and they would write it up so he could have a CASE NUMBER!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 03-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #7

Sounds to me like one or both of them possibly had an outstanding warrant or something like that against them, so they didn't want to see the cops. Pretty fishy to me...

Old 03-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Top Contributor

I hope your friend got the driver's license number and the license plate number on the car as well as the insurance info.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 03-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #9

It's amazing how arrogant people are about non-fatal accidents. Just because you didn't seriously hurt or mame or kill somebody, you don't have the right to belittle the situation. These people had no idea that this woman was a first timer. She looked totally freaked out about what happened. Then you get some Lame Ass to say "It's No Big Deal". Well, like the wife said, he was a short fuse away from an asswuppin by several angry bikers. The shortest guy in our bunch had the loudest bark. It just pains me to see just how uncaring some Jackasses can be. If this woman would have stepped down on her accelerator just a little harder, the outcome I am sure would not have been the same....

Old 03-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #10

I'll bet LE would have shown up much quicker if you guys would have commenced to whipping somebody's @ss. Something does sound wrong about this guy's big hurry. You never know who you're dealing with today. Happy to hear that the incident didn't turn out worse than "No big deal".

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #11

Maybe the girl on the Goldwing should have a problem with her leg develope.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

I agree with prairie cruiser, those folks had something to hide. The brother could have been charged with assault IMHO.

Maybe we can learn something from this. Most of us have cell phones and many of those have video capabilities. Learn how to use them. In a case like this record the actions of the out of control person to use as evidence for the police.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 03-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #13

Before they left....I would have noted their tag information. Then when they left...I would have called 911 for the injured rider and told police that the assailant left the scene but I had their tag information. I would have denied ever getting the insurance information.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:58 AM   #14

When I got backed into in my pickup last summer the guy decided I was taking to long and he was going to leave. Since it was a parking lot the police would not respond and I was on the phone with my insurance company making sure everything was covered. I placed my hand on his door and told him there was only 1 way he was leaving before I told him he could and that was in a ambulance. I am a big enough guy that he took my threat seriously and waited. He too was pissed off that his hitting my truck inconvenienced him...

Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh
When I got backed into in my pickup last summer the guy decided I was taking to long and he was going to leave. Since it was a parking lot the police would not respond and I was on the phone with my insurance company making sure everything was covered. I placed my hand on his door and told him there was only 1 way he was leaving before I told him he could and that was in a ambulance. I am a big enough guy that he took my threat seriously and waited. He too was pissed off that his hitting my truck inconvenienced him...
Isn't that something?!!!! THEY hit you, but act so pissed off at having to wait for a policeman.....I just shake my head at what little regard people have for others.

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069