Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #1

Fuel Processor for Nomads

OK....I know you guys may or may not have been thru this before..but here goes.
Don't get me wrong.....I love this Nomad...It rides great...Very smooth on the highway....Looks Great.....Sounds like sh*t when you throttle a little extra though.
Don't matter....Any Gear ...Any Speed....If you throttle on it and/or with some degree of a load ..... it clatters or knocks or whatever somewhat till you let off the throttle and be a little more gentle with her. This s*cks that you are always having to worry about not throttling to hard for fear of possible engine damage and that god awful rattling and knocking when you over do it a little. I know this may be the way these bikes run...but this is bullsh*t.
OK....The Question...... Will a Fuel Processor Fix This
I do not want to change pipes....and do not want to do intake mods..so Can a fuel processor alone make this engine run better like it should.
Did not have any trouble like this with my 900...and did not have trouble like this with my 750....Both Vulcans.
I want to be able to twist the throttle if I feel like it and go....with out all the rattling bullsh*t.
So...If a fuel processor will fix it...and if you've used one with stock pipes and intake and it fixed it....What kind did you use?
What will it do to/for fuel milage....How will it make this bike run.
I've never used fuel processors before and do not know what to expect.......I want this bike to run better....And I don't really want to do this TPS adjustment.....I want to do something "plug n Play and make this Nomad PURRRRRRRR

Sorry for the long rave......
Doug

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #2

Are you running 90+ octane gas? Do NOT lug the engine, down shift early. This is not a Harley the engine is designed to run/operate at higher RPM's. A fuel processor can help as can the resistor in the air temp sensor. The resistor was my first fuel mod.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:15 AM   #3

I don't think it will change the sound at all for you. Those are mechanical sounds you are hearing, not intake or exhaust. Nomad motors are noisey that way.I have a Power Commander and my bike sounds the same whether or not it is connected. Unless you do some or all of the mods, nothing will change. The pipes and intake will mask some of the clatter, not eliminate it. As long as you don't lug the engine you won't damage it. They are almost indestructable. The PC makes the motor a little more responsive throughout its rpm range, and mileage can change for the better or worse depending on the map you install.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #4

OK, I did the TFI before I did the pipes and intake. It does make a difference. A real difference. 90% of my pinging disappeared.

If you use the cheapo wiring connectors they supply, it is pretty much Plug & play. You gotta take out a total of 3 screws and make 4 crimp connections with a pliers. Bing-bang-boom! Yer done. It's still harder to do than the resistor mod. Costs about $200 more as well.

However, I don't recommend using those connectors. I soldered pigtails into my wiring so I'd have really solid connections, and used real terminals so I could unplug the thing if I wanted to. So far it's been almost 5 years & I've not unplugged it once though.

As for fuel mileage, I can't say what happens with the module alone. Mileage may decline as now you won't be afraid to open the throttle. I only ran mine a few days before I changed the pipes, and a couple weeks later I changed the intake too.

That's when it will REALLY run better.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #5

REFUGIO....not sure I can help, but here's my 2 cents worth.

I installed a TFI unit about a month ago. It was the "plug and play" model. Do not need to remove gas tank....just lift the rear of tank, secure with blocks of wood or whatever and plug into factory hookup at the injectors. As mods go, pretty easy. Since my only other engine related mod is V&H baggers, which probably mask some of the "sounds" you are hearing, I can't say it will help.

I can say the bike does run better, no pinging, throttle response greatly improved, cooling fan has not come on since install, plugs went from basically white to grayish tan.....and believe it or not, after 1600 miles since TFI installed, averaging 43.5 mpg (89 octane) versus 38-39 (93 octane) prior.

PS: At the time I purchased, best price I found on plug and play TFI unit was 191.95 (prepaid) from Custom Dynamics.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Advanced Member

If you're all stock, you shouldn't be having these problems. The bike is new, what's the dealer say?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I did multiple resistors: one in the coolant temp sensor and in the air temp sensor. Eliminated 90 % of the pinging as well. cost: Less than $1 and about an hours work. El Cheapo Mechanico...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
Advanced Member

If you are looking for more power then you would have to at least do a air kit. More air more fuel = more power. Trust me you will feel it.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #9

I agree with Refugio. With the compression of the Nomad we shouldn't get all the pinging. And yes my stock bike pinged at 75mph with gentle throttle roll on.

I have a 05 1600 Nomad with V&H pipes, 1/2 Cadd air, and a TFI. I have very little Pinging now, BUT!
Just my opinion...Get a Power Commander PCIII. It has 100's of points of adjustment for fuel delivery. You can do a resistor mod or TPS adjust which may be cheaper, but in the long run I feel a PCIII is the way to go.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #10

I run the TFI with a Thunder Intake, and as long as your RPMs aren't to low, there's no excess vibration, Don't be afraid to wind up the engine, it has a limiter to keep you from winding it too tight, and if your RPMs are up, and you twist the wrist, your going to scoot pretty darn quick.

M2CW

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman
Are you running 90+ octane gas? Do NOT lug the engine, down shift early. This is not a Harley the engine is designed to run/operate at higher RPM's. A fuel processor can help as can the resistor in the air temp sensor. The resistor was my first fuel mod.
Hello watchman...Thanks for the response.....I know it's not a Harley as neither were my Vulcan 900 or my Vulcan 750.
I am running 90+ octane and I realize about engine lugging.
I have done the air temp resistor mod (used 1K ohm) and it did help some...But I'm talkin bout just a regular old hard throttle after downshifting to 4th on the highway at 70mph as in passing another vehical quickly. That rattling when you do things like that...which to me is not lugging the engine...it's just pushing the engine hard at a reasonably high enough RPM. My other bikes did not behave this way......They all say it's normal engine behavior for the Nomad...
I just want to do something for it if I can
Thanks

Old 05-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzinger
I agree with Refugio. With the compression of the Nomad we shouldn't get all the pinging. And yes my stock bike pinged at 75mph with gentle throttle roll on.
This is what I'm talking about

Old 05-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
Advanced Member

For me, I did everything backwards. The bike may have been pinging some when I got it, but I wasn't pushing it too hard so don't really know. I first got the Cobra Fi2000 and installed. This didn't do much of anything at any setting. I then did the Caddman mod to the intake. This again didn't do much of anything. I got in the Cobra true dual exhaust and, holy cow, things changed drastically. Evidently unplugging the exhaust let the engine breath a whole lot better. I had pretty severe pinging like what you describe. I couldn't roll on the throttle hard without pinging at any rpm. I adjusted the Fi module every way imaginable and no luck on reducing pinging. I removed the Caddman mod and most of the pinging went away. The power may have been reduced, but I could now crank the throttle without a lot of pinging, so had more usable power. I then put a 500 ohm resistor on the air temp sensor. This got rid of all pinging except when temperatures got up around 100 degrees or when going up steep inclines. I replaced the 500 ohm resistor with a 1K resistor and now can control pinging by making small adjustments to pot #2 on the Fi module. I can now roll on the throttle from about idle rpm in 5th gear and accelerate hard once the engine gets a few more revs without pinging. My strategy now is to adjust pot #1 to get rid of exhaust popping on deceleration and adjust pot #2 to get rid of pinging on acceleration.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Mine does it at steady speeds goes away when you roll on the throttle. If it was pinging you hear wouldnt it be louder when you gased it? that just my thought. Its even louder with the hypercharger on it. But thats just the way it is,it still goes like hell. either you deal with the noise or go buy a goldwing.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #15

Your bike sounds like it is worst than mine was. I finially did the throttle position adjustment. You can see about this on Gadgets site. It has to get really hot and I run lower octane gas to get any ping now. Hope this helps.