Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #1

Rear running light out.

Hey everybody, First please allow me to apologize for not being around in about 8 months. I have not been riding much and it has not been on my mind. Working 60 hours a week and being stressed with work, most of the time I chose to sit on the couch or take a nap rather thatn ride the bike.

I took it out today for the first time since february and a cop puleed me over this morning because my rear running light was out. I checked everything out when I got to work and cannot diagnose and problems. Everything is still under warranty but shop cannot get to me for nearly a whole freakin month.

Here are the facts of what I have observed and done:

1. Rear running light does not work, but brake and turn signals do

2. #1 is odd because running light bulb is same as brake bulb

3. Pulled off red lense and everything seems tight and fine.

4. Checked fuses and all seem fine. BTW anyone know what the 1 G fuse is?

5. I dont remember if it is normal or not, but the whole time I was driving, the white light that shines upward was on.

Any tips to save me a months wait of driving time?

Thanks to all in advance. As the weather has gotten warmer and I have scaled back my responsibilities and hours at work, I will definitely be riding more and start getting on the forum more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #2

Rear running light out.

The taillight should be an 1157 bulb, with two elements. If the tail light does not work but the brake light does, I would check the bulb very carefully to make sure that one of the elements is not broken. Regardless I would replace that bulb. Any auto parts store should have an 1157 bulb.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 04-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #3

Rear running light out.

Welcome back. Yeah, have been some stressful times.

There are two filaments in that bulb. The one that is for the running/tail light is most likely burnt out. Just replace the bulb and all will be fine.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #4

Rear running light out.

You might want to replace your burned out bulb with a 2357LL which is also available at auto parts stores. They put out a 25% brighter light when you put your brakes on. Read about this at:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/brakelight_replacement.htm

These bulbs generally come two in a package so you can keep one for a spare.

Patriot Guard
Kawanow #263 (November 2007)
262 Prior Posts

Old 04-29-2009, 05:14 AM   #5

Rear running light out.

Awesome to hear! I'm glad it should be an easy fix. I can instal new electronics and bolt ons, but I never knew that bulb was a dual element. Sometimes the simple things get by ya.

THanks for the advice. I will probably fix tonight and tell you all again how well it worked and thanks for the advice.

Sam

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #6

Rear running light out.

I don't use the 1157 bulbs very often anymore, they don't seem to last with the newer vehicles. Try the 2357 as mentioned or the 2057's they can handle small voltage spikes better than the 1157's.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Rear running light out.

2357 for my money and it is WAY brighter, i think near 100% I read someplace.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Rear running light out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercianbike
You might want to replace your burned out bulb with a 2357LL which is also available at auto parts stores. They put out a 25% brighter light when you put your brakes on. Read about this at:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/brakelight_replacement.htm

These bulbs generally come two in a package so you can keep one for a spare.
If you buy this bulb wrap the 2nd one in foam and pack it, as this brighter bulb has a shorter life.

That way when the 'Nice police officer pulls you over you can smile, aqnd get your trusty screw driver and replace the bulb faster than he can write a ticket.

The much brighter is a good idea too....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #9

Rear running light out.

Just wanted to thank you all for the input, as always. I put it in tonight. Way cheaper than I expected. I'm used to buy $25 dollar sets of platinumstar or the likes and now I got two 2357LL for only 4.29. I put it in and boy is that brake light bright. Great tips guys. I never would have know and would have just put the stockers in again.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #10

Rear running light out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkjr
Just wanted to thank you all for the input, as always. I put it in tonight. Way cheaper than I expected. I'm used to buy $25 dollar sets of platinumstar or the likes and now I got two 2357LL for only 4.29. I put it in and boy is that brake light bright. Great tips guys. I never would have know and would have just put the stockers in again.
Glad it all worked out for you. There's a wealth of information on Gadget's page.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

That's how I found about the 2357LL (Long Life) bulbs.
Patriot Guard
Kawanow #263 (November 2007)
262 Prior Posts

Old 04-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #11

Rear running light out.

The little 35mm film canisters work great to hold the bulbs, just a little piece of tissue needed as filler. Go to a Walmart or drug store and ask for a couple at the photo counter.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Rear running light out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lusia
The little 35mm film canisters work great to hold the bulbs, just a little piece of tissue needed as filler. Go to a Walmart or drug store and ask for a couple at the photo counter.
They still make 35mm film??????

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF

Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Rear running light out.

glad to hear it was nothing more then needing a new bulb, cheap fixes are always nice
Hope you don't mind me giving my 2 cents worth here...but...if you haven't been riding due to allot of work hours and allot of stress, well, thats the best time to ride. I know that i can be having a terrible day, but if i get on my bike it only takes about 15 minutes and it seems like the wind in my face just blows the stress away.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed