Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Advanced Member

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

I see A lot of riders wearing glow in the dark green orange etc. I am wondering if it helps is it a look @ me thing . I can say it's not for me, I am not saying there is anything wrong with it just not my style. any comments

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #2

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

Sure is easy to spot 'em. I guess that speaks for itself. I have done other things to increase my visibility to others but haven't taken that step yet. Sure makes extra good sense for rain gear though - right Bumblebee?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #3

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

Bumblebee is on vacation in Helen, GA this weekend so it is open season!
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 07-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #4

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

Nancy and Ken have jackets that are very high visibility and I am going to be saving up to buy my wife and I the same ones. You can see Nancy and Ken for miles...ok, maybe not that far but you get my point.
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

This is purely my opinion folks, but when it comes to fluorescent colors, you won't see me wearing any. I'm like Johnny Cash, the man in black. I wear black leathers, black t-shirts, black boots, gloves and helmets.

Now you may say "but people can't see you, you're asking for an early death!" To which I answer, "I don't care. At least I'll look like a badass when my time comes!"

Seriously, this is why I have a lot of lights on my bike - to be seen. I have an air horn to make my presence known.

If y'all want to dress like road construction workers, go right ahead. I won't knock anyone for dressing in bright colors, don't knock me because I don't.

However, I will knock anyone who irons their hi-viz gear. ::)
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ken
FLOURECENT CLOTHING

I ride on the autobahn with a fluorescent vest when making long trips...i try to stay off the autobahn whenever possible due to the high speeds of BMW, Audi, Mercedez and Porche drivers clipping along at 130 MPH. Besides I love the countryside and the cleaner air. I agree that one should make oneself as visible as possible and prefer bright lights to bright colors...still....I want to enjoy my retirement for a few years.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #7

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
I ride on the autobahn with a fluorescent vest when making long trips...i try to stay off the autobahn whenever possible due to the high speeds of BMW, Audi, Mercedez and Porche drivers clipping along at 130 MPH. Besides I love the countryside and the cleaner air. I agree that one should make oneself as visible as possible and prefer bright lights to bright colors...still....I want to enjoy my retirement for a few years.
Autobahn? Just saw the pictures of the 260 car pile up they had over there. That is craziness driving at those speeds. I know the road is super nice and all but at those speeds one screw up and everyone is toast.
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320

Old 07-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Top Contributor

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

One of the so-called main reasons that a lot of folks ride is because of the "individuality."

Well, if all the bikers were to ride the same bike and dress the same so as to meet a particular "image", just where then is the individuality?

I think it's more important that each rider ride the bike that he likes and dresses the way he likes.

Some like the more traditional leathers, some like the newer textile outfits and some like the highest visibility outfits they can find.

It's all good and that's the way I think it should be.

I want you to be you and I want to be me.

That's the way it should be in my opinion.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 07-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #9

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket
One of the so-called main reasons that a lot of folks ride is because of the "individuality."

Well, if all the bikers were to ride the same bike and dress the same so as to meet a particular "image", just where then is the individuality?

I think it's more important that each rider ride the bike that he likes and dresses the way he likes..
+1 on that Bob.

Perception is everything. Some think all black on a hot day is the way a Motorcyclist/biker SHOULD look, and therefore comply. Some think that wearing black on a hot day is crazy, and wear a white t-shirt, or mesh textile.

The all blacks probably look at them and think, "he's not a biker", and they are probably right. He's probably just a motorcyclist that isn't bound by the norms of stereotyping.

Just like when baggy pants hanging off your ass looked so dumb when it was only poor kids, who had to wear an older brother's hand me downs, that wore them. A "hip" kid would die before going to school like that. But now it's cool, and even though it doesn't make sense at all (like wearing black when it's hot) kids are all wearing baggy pants, as if they have to wear an older brothers hand me downs.

Sometimes what looks "right" has no bearing on what is practical or logical. What is the cool look, is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, when I see riders in black T-shirts when it's 100 degrees out, I think that they are slaves to the biker look and I can't imagine doing such a thing. Same for black leather vests.

But to each his own, even if you want to wear pants half way off your ass.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #10

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

I tell the kids they are practicing to be plumbers.
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320

Old 07-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #11

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

Wear it in the rain or at night. Can't do enough to be seen...

Old 07-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #12

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

What's the deal with black vests anyway?

They don't protect shoulders, elbows and arms, which are prime places for road rash. They don't breath and let air pass through to evaporate moist skin. They are black, but worn in the summer. What's the deal with wearing them? On a hot day I've never thought, hmm... I'd I'd like put on some hot black leather that won't protect me, and go for a ride.

What am I missing with regards to black leather vests in the summer? No offense to those who are wearing them, just curious what's the deal with them?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
Advanced Member

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

Why do you care, Dan? Nobody can see you climbing bridges from underneath, anyway.lol
I'm with CJ on this one. Except for denim jeans and different-colored shirts, everything else I own is black.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
Top Contributor

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

Only h-vis item I have bought is a cooling vest. I went with the lighter color to make me cooler since thats its purpose. The vests do work well.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #15

FLOURECENT CLOTHING

The Frogg Toggs me and the missus have for rain are high vis green, great for those dark wet days (and nights) where I'll take all the help I can get to be noticed by traffic coming behind us faster than we are traveling.