Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #1

Need help with handlebars

Since I can't use my risers with my fairing can any one tell me what bars I can use that would give me about the same rise and pullback as the scootworks phatt 11 risers they were 4" rise and 2" pullback. I don't want to have to change the wires and cables. Thanks Jim

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #2

I don't have the answer, but when you find it pass it on to Gadget so we'll know where to find it later :)

Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #3

Jim, Would the fairing work with my Aeromach risers?

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #4

OB, All this is leading up to a handle bar recommendation.

I have a 07 Nomad. I put the 2 1/2 in riser extensions on it while I had the windshield. Because the stock mounts are put on top of the extension, combined you get 4 inches of rise from the triple clamp. And because the triple clamp is incline rearward with the add length the bar center is 1 1/4 inches back from where the center was when in just in the stock riser. So if you got 4 up and 2 back from your triple clamp with your risers then we ended up close to the same?
I was able to mount and use a Tsukayu fairing with those extensions in place. It did require a tiny bit of trimming of the radio cover. The biggest challenge was getting the 1/8 inch of clearance that I needed to keep my cobra light bar in place and the lights aligned with my low beams. Subsequently, I sold my fairing and have started the plan to adapt a frame mounted fairing to my bike but I haven't updated the pics yet.
But I was still curious about the reckless fairing. So, I went over and looked a Mark's reckless fairing install because he's here in Jax. The fairing is a nice unit. I would say they are very similar in quality to the Tsukayu and I was happy with the Tsukayu. I actually like the reckless mount approach a little better. The big other difference between the two that I saw is that the reckless inner liner places the radio and its cover at least a full inch further rearward compared to the Tsukayu. I looked over the HD adapted "bent risers" that Mark used and they really are nice but even they interfere slightly with the flip down part of the radio cover. And my understanding is that they only adapt to a 1500 but that is only something I heard.
Not long after mounting my fairing I did a week ride on the Blue-ridge Parkway with Dkdixie, VulcanE, BigSid1 and a couple others. VulcanE (Cliff) has a loaded with options Premux Fairing on his Nomad which I think is a 06? I like the Premux and think it is a better (or at least as well made but with more features) unit than the Tsukayu and therefore the reckless. Like many others, I just wasn't willing to spend what it takes to get a Premux.
The Premux also struggles with clearance on risers in the radio and cover area. Cliff had just replaced his stock bars with the bars for a 2009 Nomad. They have more rise and more pull back than the 1600 bars do. I sat on Cliffs bike several times and for more than a moment or two. He has a different seat than I do so there are other variables possibly at work here but the riding position those bars allowed was very much like the once I had and felt quite comfortable.
So what's this all about? My learned (just how "learned" might be subject to question) opinion is that if anyone owns a 1600 and plans to mount a fairing from reckless or Tsukayu or Premux (and probably the others) and they don't want to do with out or modify the radio cover and potentially the fairings inner liner then they are going to have to do with out risers. Any change in hand grip location is going to have to be accomplished with bar changes. And one of the first places people may want to check is the 09 Nomad bar?
Hope this helps someone and again these are just my opinions!
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 04-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Wish I could help you with your situation Jim. When you figure it out be sure and let us know.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #6

I have 4x2 risers on my bike , I don't know what brand they are but my Premeux fairing fits with no alterations at all.
It could be the angle that your fairings are mounted on that create the interferance.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #7

There used to be, many many years ago, bars that were called 6 bends. Because of the shape you could pert near put your hands on your knees or look like ape hangers after a slight stroke. Some times the cables and wires had to be extended, but not usually. I don't know if those are still made, but Drag Specialties and Jammer used to cRry them. Good luck with it.
Thanks for your time.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I have 4x2 risers on my bike , I don't know what brand they are but my Premeux fairing fits with no alterations at all.
It could be the angle that your fairings are mounted on that create the interferance.
I thought about that and it wouldn't take much to move it but I like the way it looks so I am going to put a set of high rise bars on it the problem is to figure out what set to get so I don't have to change the cables. Oh and another thing the guys with the 1500 don't have a problem with the fairing because they can use the Harley risers and they won't hit.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbikers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I thought about that and it wouldn't take much to move it but I like the way it looks so I am going to put a set of high rise bars on it the problem is to figure out what set to get so I don't have to change the cables. Oh and another thing the guys with the 1500 don't have a problem with the fairing because they can use the Harley risers and they won't hit.
Jim did you get my note that the HD risers will not work on the 1600 only the 1500?? Rich

Old 04-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #10

Someone else on the list posted this link in response to my question about what the stock bars rise and pullback are;

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Import...ckBarsOne.html

Looking at this the stock bars are;
8" rise and 14" pullback

So add to this the measurement you want to duplicate for the risers and shop for some aftermarket bars to match.

Hope this helps.

I added the 3" Chucksters risers and like the feel but do not like the added vibration in the bars caused by road bumps. So I'm looking for aftermarket bars that will add the same 3" rise and 1 1/2" pull back that the Chuckster risers give me. I think using aftermarket bars with the stock risers will be more stable.

I'm looking for a 11" rise with a 15 1/2 " pullback bar. Or approximately. Have not found it yet.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 04-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #11

The last time I looked for bars was Dennis Kirk and J&P Cycles. You should be able to match the rise you want in longer bars.
I used Aeromach risers with the WOC fairing with no problems at all. But, the cables were a tad tight.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 04-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by James "Bubba" Andreu
Someone else on the list posted this link in response to my question about what the stock bars rise and pullback are;

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Import...ckBarsOne.html

Looking at this the stock bars are;
8" rise and 14" pullback

So add to this the measurement you want to duplicate for the risers and shop for some aftermarket bars to match.

Hope this helps.

I added the 3" Chucksters risers and like the feel but do not like the added vibration in the bars caused by road bumps. So I'm looking for aftermarket bars that will add the same 3" rise and 1 1/2" pull back that the Chuckster risers give me. I think using aftermarket bars with the stock risers will be more stable.

I'm looking for a 11" rise with a 15 1/2 " pullback bar. Or approximately. Have not found it yet.
LOOK into the HD Touring handle bars ,, 50/75$ US if I remember right.. not sure the rise or pull back but a few here have used them,,,, worth a shot....Rich

Old 04-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #13

Jim, here's the link to a thread I made when I put the 1700 bars on. Check it out, it might help. BTW, I used the stock cables and lines, but since have replaced the lines with stock length braided stainless steel lines.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...ic.php?t=12413

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 04-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #14

Thanks Cliff I will check with my dealer and see if he can get me a set as he doesn't stock any thing unless it is for a 4 wheeler.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #15

I was using chuckster's two inch risers, but wanted pulled back without all the rise in height. I put flanders wide max pullback handlebars on today. 4.5 inches of pullback over stock bars with just 1 inch more in height about a inch narrower. So far I like.

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Americ...Pullbacks.html

They also have some medium width bars.

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Americ...Pullbacks.html