Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #1

wheel bearing

Hello everyone.
I am new to this group (I have been peeking for few weeks now). I just got my 2005 Nomad 1600 about a month ago. I like the bike but I think it might need wheel bearings. Since I never had a motorcycle with bad wheel bearings I might need some assistance with diagnostic.

The bike has 26k miles. Since I started riding it (put about 300-350 miles) within the first 100 miles I was able tell something is wrong with the front suspension (I wasn't able to tell when test driving).
There was this weird friction when going over bumps and a little bit of friction when turning left. I decided to replace fork oil, since it has not been done before. After replacing the oil, I can definitely tell there is some sort of friction when turning either way. There was only about 7 oz of oil in the right fork and about 12oz in the left (I put 14 oz of W15 on each side). I am guessing the right was so soft that did not transmit friction when turning right.
I am suspecting bad wheel bearings.
Do you think I have bad wheel bearings or should I look at different possibilities (eg. neck bearing)? Is there any way to test?

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #2

Welcome, wheel bearings are no normally an issue. Often noise and a bit of vibration is caused by a cupped front tire. To check the front wheel bearings, I would jack the bike up and remove the calipers so there is no noise or rubbing come from there. Spin the wheel and listen for rumbling. Also grab the wheel and try to wiggle it to check for play.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #3

Are you sure its not tire noise you hear while cornering, thats usually what it is.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

You are handy enough. Raise the ft wheel off the ground and hang the ft calipers on bungee cords... spin the wheel as fast as you can and listen. Slow the pace some and feel the wheel.

Also grab the wheel at 12:00 and 6:00 as best you can and do a push with one hand and a pull with the other side to side. There should be no slop.

If then you find problems you have a bad wheel bearing.

Maybe before you do this check the head bgearings in the steering. You will read me also calling these gooseneck bearings. With the brakes still on and the ft wheel off the ground lash IN the ft brake with a bungee.

Try to lift the the whole ft end by grabbing the ft wheel at 12:00. with the brakes locked only the ft end can pitch up and drop down. If it does the head bearing are at least too loose.

Turn the fork side to side slowly too. feel for notchyness. If there is again the head bearings are bad or they are too loose.

Ck the ft tire.

If the edges are all scalloped the tire is most likely the culprit. Expect the tires to be more worn on the left as seated than on the right. That comes from wear on USA right side driven Rds. Unless you can go to a country where they drive on the left there is no fix other than new rubber.

It is pretty unlikely that the sealed for life wheel bearings are bad with just 26K. It is likely that this ft tire is the 2nd tire and nearing the end of it's life.

If it is a oem brickstone as well it is very likely to be the problem they are junk new on the show room floor.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Well boys i did my evil deed for the day see

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #6

I have Avon Cobra tires with about 10k miles on them. They seem ok and I think they are good for at least one more season. I will take a closer look at the tire.
Will check on both wheel and gooseneck bearings when I have a moment.
The noise/feel is a combination of friction and grinding. I hate explaining sounds lol.

Thanks for advice!

Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XedoS69 View Post
I have Avon Cobra tires with about 10k miles on them. They seem ok and I think they are good for at least one more season. I will take a closer look at the tire.
The noise/feel is a combination of friction and grinding. I hate explaining sounds lol.

Thanks for advice!
Maybe you need to see if the ft brake pads have sand caught a pebble maybe, steel on steel???

leave the calipers on and spin the wheel as best you can?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XedoS69 View Post

Thanks for advice!
Have you checked your brake pads? If you have a sticky caliper and you wear through the pad, you will also get what you discribe.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #9

Ive had a stone jammed in my caliper before, it does make a grinding sound.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #10

The front tire - the tread is 2.5mm deep in the center - 4mm deep on the sides.
I tested the neck bearing - it seems OK.
I tested the wheel bearing - cannot detect anything with the 6-12 hold, however you can hear a noise as if the calipers were still installed when spinning the wheel just not as loud as with calipers (few time I think I heard a little bump-bump noise from the left side when spinning in opposite direction).
The brakes: about 1/2 to 1/3 left on the pads.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #11

Run your hand over the tire forward and aft just off Center a bit. Does the tread feel raised and worn a bit Un even? If so, and you can't find any thing else wrong then, it could be the cause.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #12

The front seems ok. I can feel a little of cupping on the rear tire and the center seems a bit flat (front is round). The rear has a pretty deep thread however.
If the issue is cased by the tires I do not plan replacing them till next season. With two little kids I do not ride as much as I would love to.

On the side note. I recorded the fork oil replacement procedure. Have not watch the video yet, if it turns to be good, I will share it.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #13

Well, let us know when you get to the bottom of things.
I'd like to see the video also.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #14

Just got home. On my way through the garage I tried one more thing.
I jumped on the bike and decided to push it a little. When bike is straight it makes no noise. When I tilt it a little and push it makes noise similar to the one when spun the wheel with no calipers on. Left side louder than right. Cupped tire would not make noise at this test. I think it is either bearing or brakes. I know bearing are about $20 a pop at the local dealer. I might just try it...

Old 06-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #15

So I drove it to work today. I could feel a wobble on every uneven surface.
Decided to look at the neck bearing again, and I found a different test recommended here on forums.
Watch this video and tell me if I do it right. Does it mean the neck bearing is at least lose...