Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #1

Question Leaking pinion gear

06 Nomad 50k miles, big three installed. Recent rear tire installed, drive shaft lubed. Mechanic at a non Kawasaki shop said the seal or seals around pinion gear needed replacing as there was oil coming from rear drive on that end of the drive shaft. It's been a few weeks now and I can see some oil on that joint. Has anyone had to replace these and if so which one? The mechanic was not sure which one needs replacing and there seems to be several in there. My thought was to just replace them all. Of course this means to take it all apart again, I don't have the tools/time to do so that means paying mechanic...again. Thoughts?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #2

Bump

Old 05-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
06 Nomad 50k miles, big three installed. Recent rear tire installed, drive shaft lubed. Mechanic at a non Kawasaki shop said the seal or seals around pinion gear needed replacing as there was oil coming from rear drive on that end of the drive shaft. It's been a few weeks now and I can see some oil on that joint. Has anyone had to replace these and if so which one? The mechanic was not sure which one needs replacing and there seems to be several in there. My thought was to just replace them all. Of course this means to take it all apart again, I don't have the tools/time to do so that means paying mechanic...again. Thoughts?
I'd check the oil level in the pinion housing before I did anything else. If these bikes are overfilled they will leak oil out of the pinion housing.

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Old 05-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #4

The manual says the bike should be level when checking the gear lube.
This is not correct, as it does not leave any room for heat expansion.

Put the bike on the side stand and place a piece of 2x4 under the side stand.

Now when it is full the lube will be just starting to run out of the fill hole.
Let it run out until it stops and that is the correct level.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-02-2016, 10:05 PM   #5

Its probably the pinion seal thats leaking if you have oil going up the driveshaft tube. You need a special tool to get to it. If oil is spraying all over your tire, its the large oil seal that is on the hub where the wheel is fitted to the final drive.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #6

The 1600 final drive is made different than the 1500. I replaced all my seals (was just leaking on the pinion seal), and didn't need anything other than a bench vise with copper clad jaws (to hold the gear that goes in the slip joint so I could loosen & tighten the nut that holds everything together) The pinion seal dimension is 32x48x7. go to any bearing supplier and give them that number and they will set you up. The seal nearest the outside on the axle is 35x47x7. these numbers are mm, but that is how seals are described. On the great big one nearest the wheel, I have no dimensions, but the seal I used was a Timken 228250.
The next year after I replaced the seals it started leaking again. I removed the final drive to check it out, and found the "O" ring on the end of the pinion shaft that goes into the slip joint was broken, I just replaced that and have had no more leaking. Also, regardless of how the manual says to fill the case, it also says a volume of 200 ml is what it takes, and that is all I put in when I change mine, and it does not come up to the threads of the fill port.
These type seals are only to keep splashed oil in, not to be submerged in oil and keep it in.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #7

Thx for the replies, guess I've got to take it back and get em done... Always something.