Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

WTF Air Breather Confusion

Can anyone describe to me how the air breathers work on the 1700 Vulcans? I just installed a K&N air filter on my new 1700 Nomad, naturally thinking it would go on the right side like most cruisers. Took the cover off and no filter, just what looks like throttle body openings. So I take off the left side cover and there it is. Okay, filter goes in no problem. Now I look at some after market complete replacement breathers like from Roaring Toyz and they install completely on the right side, filter and all. I'm confused.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Vulcans have crossover tubes from the left side,
Kawasaki's design flow even holds true on their 1500's
Too

Old 03-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Vulcans have crossover tubes from the left side,
Kawasaki's design flow even holds true on their 1500's
Too

Old 03-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

The crossover tube limits the effectiveness of an aftermarket filter because is restricts airflow. It also heats the intake air. A lot of people remove the left side filter housing and crossover tube and just use the right side.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-16-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Get a bigger air intake on the right side and remove the left side stock or aftermarket airfilter on the left side. Add a fuel processor or an ECU reflash by Ivan and you will be very pleased with the result. A K&N on the left side will give you very limited improvement in performance, but a filter that will last a lifetime.

There has been some discussion on whether a K&N filter works as effectively as the stock filter to remove contaminants from the engine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-17-2016, 06:48 AM   #6

It stands to reason that If a filter passes more air thru it than the factory filter than it has to pass more dirt too.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 03-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
It stands to reason that If a filter passes more air thru it than the factory filter than it has to pass more dirt too.
And yet I've never had any wear problems with the seven vehicles, (cars and motorcycles) that I've put K&N air filters in.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
Advanced Member

All you have to do with any K&N filter is keep it clean 1, and 2, keep it properly oiled and no dirt will get through. I even have a real big K&N intake cold air system on my Nissan pickup and with 57,000 miles it has worked real well with normal maintenance. Like mentioned, placing an aftermarket open air intake on the right side of the 1700s will improve performance notably allowing your bike to breathe much better and allow cooler air to pass through it as well. Then all you do after removing the left side dog bowl is place a crankcase breather filter on the nipple coming out of the back of the front cylinder (this is real important) then plug off the hose going into the right side dog bowl coming from the fresh air system and you are up and running. Get the ECU flash from Ivan, get a set of slip on mufflers or other preferred exhaust set up and you are there and it is all very well worth it.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
All you have to do with any K&N filter is keep it clean 1, and 2, keep it properly oiled and no dirt will get through. I even have a real big K&N intake cold air system on my Nissan pickup and with 57,000 miles it has worked real well with normal maintenance. Like mentioned, placing an aftermarket open air intake on the right side of the 1700s will improve performance notably allowing your bike to breathe much better and allow cooler air to pass through it as well. Then all you do after removing the left side dog bowl is place a crankcase breather filter on the nipple coming out of the back of the front cylinder (this is real important) then plug off the hose going into the right side dog bowl coming from the fresh air system and you are up and running. Get the ECU flash from Ivan, get a set of slip on mufflers or other preferred exhaust set up and you are there and it is all very well worth it.
I know a guy who doesn't oil the K&N pod filters on his refurbished KZ1000 because he doesn't like the redish look. All I can do is shake my head.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:38 PM   #10

Without the oil, a K&N is like having no filter at all.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Exactly.....you have to keep them oiled at all times but maintenance on these filters if easy and what I like, is LIFETIME WARRANTY.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.