Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #1

Cam tensioner spring

Just another heads up on the cam chain tensioners... I had heard recently that a couple members here had checked the travel remaining on their tensioners and had found that the big spring had broken after reinstalling the tensioner cap. Well on mine, the spring got caught between the bearing and the pushrod. I was able to free them and it doesn't look like any damage was done, but I had only ridden less than 100 miles like that - not sure what would've happened with more mileage.
Take care when checking your tensioners...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Cam tensioner spring

What symptons did your bike have with it like that?

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #3

Cam tensioner spring

I didn't notice anything different. With more mileage, the spring's ability to push on the tensioner might have caused some trouble.
Based on recent events, I personally would suggest removing the entire tensioner when checking the amount of travel left, not just the cap.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #4

Cam tensioner spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnyroq
Just another heads up on the cam chain tensioners... I had heard recently that a couple members here had checked the travel remaining on their tensioners and had found that the big spring had broken after reinstalling the tensioner cap. Well on mine, the spring got caught between the bearing and the pushrod. I was able to free them and it doesn't look like any damage was done, but I had only ridden less than 100 miles like that - not sure what would've happened with more mileage.
Take care when checking your tensioners...
That is exactly what happened to mine, only it broke a small piece of the flat end of the spring. You are the third member that I can remember to report this. I agree, I wouldn't check the travel and re-install the cap without removing the assembly and re-setting it according to the shop manual or gadjet's instructions. Even if no damage is done, you can't purchase the spring alone from Kaw, you have to get the entire assembly which is nearly $100.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Cam tensioner spring

I am not sure how the spring breaks, But i do know there is no reason to pull or loosen the locking bolt to check. There is 0 point. That was locked at the factory and then the unit was installed and then the bolt was unlocked. Loosening after that is pointless unless you are re setting the bearing holder and bearing.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #6

Cam tensioner spring

And under NO circumstances should you remove the entire assembly to check the travel.

Think about it; it is under pressure from the springs.

What is going to happen as you loosen the bolts?

It WILL extend. Now you have no way of knowing how far it has traveled.

Check e-bay for tensioner assemblies. A few bucks is better than the price of a new one.

MT
VBA 936

Old 07-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #7

Cam tensioner spring

I don't know if you need to buy a whole new assembly just to check your travel. I just think you should remove the cap and spring and then the entire assembly, following the manual for installation.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #8

Cam tensioner spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila
And under NO circumstances should you remove the entire assembly to check the travel.

Think about it; it is under pressure from the springs.

What is going to happen as you loosen the bolts?

It WILL extend. Now you have no way of knowing how far it has traveled.

Check e-bay for tensioner assemblies. A few bucks is better than the price of a new one.

MT
You are correct DC. I failed to mention clearly that you should pull the cap and check the travel and then remove the assembly to compress the large spring with the bearing and hold it with the lock screw. This is how the shop manual says to load the spring after checking the travel. If the assembly is pulled before removing the cap and checking travel it will be fully extended when you remove it. My point was I don't think it's a good idea to compress the big spring with the cap because it appears that sometimes the end of the spring gets jammed around the bearing when tightening the cap. That is what happened to mine and there was no way for me to be aware that it happened. If you can find the room to push the bearing and spring below the lock screw with the assembly in place that would work just as well. It would be difficult to see that the bearing is below the lock screw while the assembly is in place though.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482