Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #1

clutch lever

According to the manual the adjustment on the clutch lever (1 thru 5) is just to fit your hand. (At least that has been said by someone).

Is it possible that the setting my also effect when the clutch engages as well?

My lever has been set on 4 and I recently noticed a little slippage as shown by my recent posts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

clutch lever

So far as I know the settings are for hand sizes, but there has to be a camming etcentric in the lever assembly, and the master pistion will move back and forth in the bore somewhat IF this works like i think it works and then give or take a little throw. BF will take up that space and add or subtract that much movement, making the slave piston move that much more or less depending on the setting.

This has nothing to do with slipping though.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

clutch lever

Yes. as the distance between the lever and grip increases incrementally with the dial, the travel of the clutch pushrod increases as well. In other words, you have more clutch travel at 1 than you would at 5.

This makes sense because on setting 1 the clutch lever has a greater distance to travel than on setting 5.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #4

clutch lever

The piston travels the same distance to release the clutch regardless of lever setting? No matter where that setting is on mine the clutch releases in the first 1/4" of movement.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #5

clutch lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Yes. as the distance between the lever and grip increases incrementally with the dial, the travel of the clutch pushrod increases as well. In other words, you have more clutch travel at 1 than you would at 5.

This makes sense because on setting 1 the clutch lever has a greater distance to travel than on setting 5.
All right you guys I'm so confused.

Now I'm going to ask everyone a question now. And don't nobody take this as an insult to their knowledge.................or get their panties in a bunch so to speak.............. ::)

If my setting for the clutch lever was on 4........and I got a little slippage of the clutch............ (only twice in the last 2 weeks and when getting on it) and I decide to change to setting number 2........is there a chance that would eliminate the slippage?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

clutch lever

It depends on why the clutch is slipping. If the spring is shot, then no.

You're trying to put a band aid on a broken leg here. It sounds like your clutch spring needs replacing.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #7

clutch lever

Quote:
It depends on why the clutch is slipping. If the spring is shot, then no.

You're trying to put a band aid on a broken leg here. It sounds like your clutch spring needs replacing.
Not using a band aid. Ordered the barnett clutch spring. Just curious if adjusting the lever would give extra miles without slippage.

Thanks CJ

Old 10-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

clutch lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzinger
The piston travels the same distance to release the clutch regardless of lever setting? No matter where that setting is on mine the clutch releases in the first 1/4" of movement.
That's probably right, Bob. But as you continue to pull the lever, the slave cylinder keeps pushing the pushrod to disengage the clutch. If the lever is closer to the grip, then the rod isn't going to travel as far. The lever adjustment isn't going to affect the initial release of the clutch, it will affect how far beyond that the clutch pushrod travels. I don't think the difference is very much, but the setting does make a difference.

If the pushrod can't travel far enough, the clutch may never fully disengage. That was what happened to me when I replaced my clutch spring. My lever was on 4 or 5, and while sitting at a light with the clutch lever pulled all the way in, I could feel that the clutch wasn't fully disengaged. By turning the knob to 1, the clutch had a bit more travel and the clutch fully disengaged.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #9

clutch lever

Man I love this site. :) :)

Old 10-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #10

clutch lever

The master cylinder only has x amount of travel. Changing the setting will not change the throw of the slve cylinder, only the point where the fluid begins to move and when it stops. It may make it easier to control because of ergonomics but mechanically it does nothing.

If it's slipping because of the spring it won't change.

MT
VBA 936

Old 10-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
Mega-Contributor

clutch lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila
The master cylinder only has x amount of travel. Changing the setting will not change the throw of the slve cylinder, only the point where the fluid begins to move and when it stops. It may make it easier to control because of ergonomics but mechanically it does nothing.

MT
I'll argue this all day. Changing the position of the lever will ultimately affect the distance of pushrod travel, however slight.

You are correct about the spring, if it's worn, there's no way to compensate for it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

clutch lever

???
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 10-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #13

clutch lever

The effective travel of the push rod doesn't change. It will bottom out in it's travel whether the cam is set on 1 or 5.

What you have changed is the engagement point relative to the distance between the grip and the lever.

As the service manual states the lever free play is not adjustable. The amount of free play is constant and does not change by adjusting the cam.

MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila
The master cylinder only has x amount of travel. Changing the setting will not change the throw of the slave cylinder, only the point where the fluid begins to move and when it stops. It may make it easier to control because of ergonomics but mechanically it does nothing.

MT
I'll argue this all day. Changing the position of the lever will ultimately affect the distance of pushrod travel, however slight.

You are correct about the spring, if it's worn, there's no way to compensate for it.
VBA 936