Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-29-2007, 01:32 AM   #1

vibrating/humming issues

This is my very first post, so I apologize if this has been discussed already. I'm assuming it has.

When I am riding at either around 60 km/h (I think that's around 35 mph for you Americans) or at highway speeds, and I lean into a turn slightly, I get vibrations throughout my bike. I was wondering if anyone else could give me some info on what might be causing it. I have a feeling its something to do with the tires. I still got the stock Bridgestones. Would a different tire fix the problem?

Also, while we're talking tires, what kind would you recommend?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-29-2007, 03:56 AM   #2

vibrating/humming issues

GT.
My Nomad does the same thing when the rear tire gets several miles on it. I have 40,000 miles and have tried about every kind of rear tire except the Metzler's and all of them have done what I call cupped and make a whining/buzzing/vibrating noise while going around curves. The OEM Bridgestone was the worst one.

Jim
VBA #146

Old 11-29-2007, 05:17 AM   #3

vibrating/humming issues

Sounds like tire tread vibration. I have found it more pronounced on the Metzlers than the Bridgestones. I thought it disconcerting when I first noticed it, but not just expect it as I go through sweeping turns. I wish the ME880's didn't do it, but have read about it for those tires elsewhere also and like them so well I will buy them again anyway.

What you report sounds like it is just typical tire noise/vibration as the tires wear.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:49 AM   #4

vibrating/humming issues

The ME880's must have been the noise I was hearing. I always said a freight train was chasing me. :)

Old 11-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
VBA Founder

vibrating/humming issues

Quote:
GT.
My Nomad does the same thing when the rear tire gets several miles on it. I have 40,000 miles and have tried about every kind of rear tire except the Metzler's and all of them have done what I call cupped and make a whining/buzzing/vibrating noise while going around curves. The OEM Bridgestone was the worst one.

Jim
You're right Jim.....but I can tell you from experience using both the Stones and Metz's that the Metz's are worse. I'm currently running ME880's and although I love the tire performance, they do get to roaring especially when I'm running in a curve.

Part of life, I guess.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-29-2007, 09:24 AM   #6

vibrating/humming issues

Quote:
This is my very first post, so I apologize if this has been discussed already. I'm assuming it has.

When I am riding at either around 60 km/h (I think that's around 35 mph for you Americans) or at highway speeds, and I lean into a turn slightly, I get vibrations throughout my bike. I was wondering if anyone else could give me some info on what might be causing it. I have a feeling its something to do with the tires. I still got the stock Bridgestones. Would a different tire fix the problem?

I bought my '99 Nomad used and it had Dunlop 404's on it. It hummed/vibrated/rumbled on curves and turns. I went so far as having the front and back bearings replaced... no change.
I changed tire psi to 40/40 and it improved quite a bit but still noticeable.

Now I switched to Metzeler 880's and perfectly quiet.....

Ride safe,

Nico

Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #7

vibrating/humming issues

Pirilli Route 66 are the best that I have tried so far.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #8
Top Contributor

vibrating/humming issues

Quote:
[quote:01f740fk]This is my very first post, so I apologize if this has been discussed already. I'm assuming it has.

I bought my '99 Nomad used and it had Dunlop 404's on it. It hummed/vibrated/rumbled on curves and turns. I went so far as having the front and back bearings replaced... no change.

Ride safe,

Nico[/quote:01f740fk]

That's because your bike isn't currently running. There's no sound when it's sitting in the garage.

I'm glad you asked this GT because I'll be getting new tires very soon and want to hear from everyone about the best type and size. I know we have multiple threads on this, so I'm hoping we can consolidate it all into this very informative thread.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 11-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #9

vibrating/humming issues

Quote:
[quote:mpl35lto]

Ride safe,

Nico
That's because your bike isn't currently running. There's no sound when it's sitting in the garage.

I'm glad you asked this GT because I'll be getting new tires very soon and want to hear from everyone about the best type and size. I know we have multiple threads on this, so I'm hoping we can consolidate it all into this very informative thread. [/quote:mpl35lto]

To dispell any myths and rumors..... The Beast is up and running.... and is much faster than BD's! ty

Old 11-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
vibrating/humming issues

This is true Nico. Your's hits the ground much faster than mine!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #11

vibrating/humming issues

I am currently waiting on new Metzlers to arrive. I've run them before on my Classic, and found them to be a good tire, softer than stones with excellent grip and tracking.

I've ordered non-OEM sizes for the Nomad, which will lower the rear 1/2 inch and raise the front 1/4 inch. I know this isn't pleasing to the purist, but back in the day, we rode choppers built by stoned hippie's with longer front ends, used tires, one mechanical brake, and suicide shifts. A mere 3/4 inch change front to rear on this scooter can't be as bad as that and we just rode'm.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #12

vibrating/humming issues

Quote:
This is true Nico. Your's hits the ground much faster than mine!

BD, your Webcam was left on last night.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #13
Top Contributor

vibrating/humming issues

Quote:

I've ordered non-OEM sizes for the Nomad, which will lower the rear 1/2 inch and raise the front 1/4 inch. I know this isn't pleasing to the purist, but back in the day, we rode choppers built by stoned hippie's with longer front ends, used tires, one mechanical brake, and suicide shifts. A mere 3/4 inch change front to rear on this scooter can't be as bad as that and we just rode'm.
Hey Ron,

I wouldn't worry about purists on the KawaNow forum! With all the mods everyone talks about I don't think they exist here. Add/modify/change your heart out. Just tell us all about it so we can maybe try it too!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 11-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #14

vibrating/humming issues

Quote:
[quote:9gdoelgl]This is my very first post, so I apologize if this has been discussed already. I'm assuming it has.

Ride safe,

Nico[/quote:9gdoelgl]

What pressure are you using on the 880's?

Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #15

vibrating/humming issues

38 Front 40 Back 40/40 seemed stiff up front.... may add some... playing it by ear.