Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #1

Turn Signals Inop

I have a 2004 Nomad with a Chucksters light bar. I have had no issues for the two years but on my current trip from Texas to Colorado the turn signals as well as the lights in the light bar have quit working. The driving lights work work but the turn signals don't. When you turn the switch on you can hear the relay clicking so I don't believe that is the issue. I tore apart everything that I could to check the wires but I am doing it in a hotel parking so my resources are limited. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #2

If you turn on your turn signals, you hear the flasher operating, your flasher circuit has activated, look for bulbs burnt out, a wire unplugged, turnsignals at the light bar unplugged, poss. bad ground for the lightbar or lights.
Might be corrosion at one of the plugs, but the signal isn't getting from the flasher circuit to your turn signals....might get a multitester and start tracing wires back....quickest and simplest....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 07-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffko View Post
I have a 2004 Nomad with a Chucksters light bar. I have had no issues for the two years but on my current trip from Texas to Colorado the turn signals as well as the lights in the light bar have quit working. The driving lights work work but the turn signals don't. When you turn the switch on you can hear the relay clicking so I don't believe that is the issue. I tore apart everything that I could to check the wires but I am doing it in a hotel parking so my resources are limited. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

It would really help if you had a small volt meter or a test light.

Start by checking the fuses,

I don't know your skoot switch setup, but are the driving lights and the turn signal switch in the same housing on the handlebar?

Check for power to the two switches. And make sure power is coming out of the switches to the lights.

Then the wires from the driving lights back to the power source and where the turn signal wires are next to driving lights. Look for some broken wires, something that might have pinched the wires.

There are others on this form that are way more informed on this setup than I am but this might help till somebody else can add more intel.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #4

Well it looks like after running the turn signal circuit check from the manual it is the relay. Bad part is there isn't one in three states so looks like I am without turn signals until I get back to Texas.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Well it looks like after running the turn signal circuit check from the manual it is the relay. Bad part is there isn't one in three states so looks like I am without turn signals until I get back to Texas.
Just ride old school like I use too.
You do know your hand signals don't you.
But half the other drivers probably don't

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-21-2017, 03:19 AM   #6

Quote:

You could fit any $5 relay for the moment,it just means you wont have the self cancelling facility.Thats what i did when i saw what Kawasaki wanted for a new one.