Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #1

Steerin head Bearing

Need to replace the steering head bearings on a 2005 Nomad with 48,000 miles is this common for a Nomad? I did take triple tree off and tryed to tighten no luck.any advice would be helpful. Ordered parts from dealer shoul I do myself or let dealer do? I have a Fairing on .

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Steerin head Bearing

Well that fairing is gonna have to come off, no matter who does it and so does a lot of other stuff, unless you got a big bag if tricks.

The triple tree need off so you can pull the botton bearing and punch out the race, as well as the same for the top.

To me that means dropping the wheel, fender, brake block off the bottom yoke, but not opening the brake line, tieing off the calipers and wedging them open with cedar shingels, or cardboard.

I would probably yank the gas tank, just so I can't bash it. Leave the riser on the bars and lay them down on the engine/frame where the tank was, and get the triple tree down asap. Nothing really hard to do, just time consuming, no matter who does it.

The hardest parts is having the tool for the top slot nut on hand, and a long tapered punch to drive out the races.

I don't have that slot nut socket myself, not yet. it is likely when I need it I will take the time to make it by cutting another old and tired socket, since I wouldn't be likey to use it 4 times.

For all I know one of the slot sockets I do have will fit, but I kinda doubt that.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Steerin head Bearing

Are the bearings bad or are you just wanting to tighten them up? If they are not bad I would just pull them apart and grease them there is no reason to replace them if they dont feel bad. I had to replace mine they were shot really knochy feeling if you know what I mean.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #4

Steerin head Bearing

I have a lot of play in the steering I did notice it towards the end of the season seems worse now.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Steerin head Bearing

If they are not ruff or chuncky feeling I would say pull it all apart and regrease them and reassemble it. When you put the front wheel back on follow the instructions in the manual it seems kinda stupid but beleive me it makes a hughe diffence in the way the bike will handle. Just follow the instuctions in the manual and its not to tough of a job. as for the bars I didnt want to lay them on the bike so I used two motorcycle tie downs and hung the bars from the ceiling it makes them way easier to put back on by yourself without unhooking all the stuff on the bars.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Steerin head Bearing

Well, that changes things... You can rtiase the bike and drop the ft end down on blocks, A cheat that lets you get to the bottom bearing, where you can grease it. You can pluck out the top breaing and grease that too, set up 'preload' and see if new grease worked.

If then it is notchy and gags, the bearings are a done deal as are the races.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 03-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #7

Steerin head Bearing

I did mine this past spring. My steering was loose and the weight of the front end made it feel like the whole front end wanted to nose dive, especially in slow, tight turns. Changed fork fluid and re-packed both bearings. Also adjusted bearing pre-load. I'd be careful though, the book calls for 14 in.lbs. I think that might be a misprint. Others have the same concern. There is an existing thread on this subject!! I just used the old fashion method and adjusted by feel. I wanted the handle bars to swing left and right under their own weight but not so freely they bounced from stop to stop. A nice slow swing each way to the stop bar worked for me. This is a time consuming chore, so take your time and don't get in a hurry. The one item you'll might rhave to replace is the o-ring below the triple tree nut. More than likely it's a metric o-ring. I got lucky. Have fun and good luck.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Steerin head Bearing

Ummmm That 14 in.lbs is with in reason. A nice ball park figure to start with. The idea here is 0 free play, not 0.002 like the swing arm should be.

The real idea is to be stable and have the forks easy to turn, but not too loose so the firls will fall and bounce off the stops, and not be too tight and stay where you leave them either!

No book number can get that effect and i don't care what, but that is a good base point to start.

I go a bit better in a general way tighter, to 'seat' the bearings, not alot tighter, then back off, and feel the bearings, turning the forks all the way over both ways. test to see if the forks falls, and snug up, or it won't go at all alone slow, loosen up. Then lock the cap nut.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 03-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #9

Steerin head Bearing

Thats the same way I do it as well Mac.
If the bearings still feel smooth Id just regrease and tighten them, rather than replace them at this point.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Steerin head Bearing

Ring I figured.. We may have been born helpless, but we ain't anymore....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #11

Steerin head Bearing

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951