Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #1

Candy Burnt Orange Paint Job

I'm in a bit of a mess. 2 years ago I dropped something on the front fender and took a couple chips out of it. I tried some touch-up paint from colorrite but could not get it to look anywhere close to the original so I took it to a local paint shop who said they could match "no problem" and also talked me into painting the door on one of the saddle bags as there was a small scratch on it. They have painted it 4 or 5 times and cannot get the color to match. They have tried different manufacturers products and have tried to match by laser also. I just called and the painter basically told me he couldn't match it and was waiting for the boss/owner to come back on Monday. If it was only the fender and they could get it close I might be able to live with it, but if the saddlebag door is off color it will look like shit. The color number is 17L and the paint supplier(s) are saying this is the right color and it is achieved using a 2 part system.

Has anyone on here painted this color and had any problems?

Todd

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Todd that sucks, I've always thought if I scratched or chipped my fender that I would spray it black to match the chin/radiator spoiler. IMO would look cool.
I've seen the green vaquero painted that way it looks good, research on this forum for hulkvulcan in oregon I believe it was him.
As far as the door I can't believe they can't color match
there might be 2 codes for that orange
I'll research it some!

Old 03-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Some colors require a base color to create a special color effect. This is called a "TriCoat" which is Base + Top + Clearcoat. If your color is a TriCoat, the base color will be listed below under "ColorRite Base" and you will need to order both the Top and Base listed. We always recommend clearcoat for the proper match and maximum protection.

Base is 1175

Old 03-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
Some colors require a base color to create a special color effect. This is called a "TriCoat" which is Base + Top + Clearcoat. If your color is a TriCoat, the base color will be listed below under "ColorRite Base" and you will need to order both the Top and Base listed. We always recommend clearcoat for the proper match and maximum protection.

Base is 1175
Yes I have that information and this is the way it was painted (2 coats). Once the colour is close then a clear coat can be added to see the final colour. I am really not that fussy, but it has to be very close. The paint codeis 17L and most automotive paint suppliers have this code which gives the metallic base (silver-ish) and the translucent orange. This guy paints a lot of bikes and is determined to figure it out. I saw on another forum (ninja) that this is the same colour found on the ninja 1000 and they said it is 17L and most use ppg paint (which was also tried on mine). A lot of those owners paint the lower black sections of their bikes and say it is an exact match, so I am comfortable with the code.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
Todd that sucks, I've always thought if I scratched or chipped my fender that I would spray it black to match the chin/radiator spoiler. IMO would look cool.
I've seen the green vaquero painted that way it looks good, research on this forum for hulkvulcan in oregon I believe it was him.
As far as the door I can't believe they can't color match
there might be 2 codes for that orange
I'll research it some!
Thanks. I appreciate any help. I stopped at the dealership who I have dealt with many for many years and they said they could get me a new fender and saddlebag door and only charge me at their cost (about $700) so at least I know there is a way out of this should the painter not able to match. He quoted me $350. He is trying hard and does a lot of bikes and comes recommended, but he has to be in a loss position by now. When he is back on Monday I will tell him that I can get the parts from the manufacturer and he can then decide how far he wants to go. I'm not going to hold him to the $350 if he is determined to continue and does match the colour, but if I can get the parts for $700 I am not going to pay much more than, say, $500.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #6

On some paints, it does take a couple months curing time for the color to reach it's correct shade, when I painted my fairing (with PPG products) that's what the guy told me. The blue was really close right after I painted it, but it did take about 5~6 weeks before the silver came to it's correct shade............... Something to think about.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #7
Advanced Member

looks like you've already have it under control, meaning there is a way out.
I have not read that someone has sprayed that candy burnt orange color before.
I have the same bike, and I love the color.
I personally would stop the painter work a deal on the price owed and order from kawasaki.
In the long run you'll probably be happier.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #8

I hear you. A new fender is easy. 4 bolts and your done. I just realized, the cover is just that, a cover. All the bits and pieces would need to be removed from the old cover (if they can) and reinstalled. Also the decal is going to have to be replaced and that lists for $100.69. Geezus.

of course all this will be forgotten after 5 minutes into the first ride of the season

Old 03-30-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
Advanced Member

So it's not door then just the cover, when I painted my nomad it's basically the same bag the inner panel to the door is fitted with an adhesive type stuff, switching the hardware is no big deal
The handle was a tad bit challenging pay close attention ( if you go this route) to the springs there's only one way they work. Don't ask me how I know this.
I've seen where people are taken the flames off,
You might like that look.
The 2011's where stripe-less I like that look too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #10

Quote:
of course all this will be forgotten after 5 minutes into the first ride of the season
See there you go, You can't see it when your riding.

Just like I never notice this (see below) And the sad part is I have the new piece. Just don't think about it much. Well.... at least till you brought it up.
IMG_20161203_151003032.jpg

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 03-31-2017, 06:05 PM   #11

OK. Thanks skullbagger. I agree I probably will be happier with new parts but I will let the repaint play itself out. I found someone in Ontario (on another forum) who had some black parts on his candy burnt orange ninja painted this same colour and the pictures looked good and he said it was an exact match. Even thought the post was in 2011 I took the chance and tracked him down (stalker). He was very helpful and gave me the name of the painter. Called the painter and he is going to pull his records and said he would be glad to help. My painter is going to call him on Monday and they can talk turkey and hopefully come up with a plan.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
See there you go, You can't see it when your riding.

Just like I never notice this (see below) And the sad part is I have the new piece. Just don't think about it much. Well.... at least till you brought it up.
Attachment 12452
Ha. Sorry I reminded you......time to put the new one on. Rock?

Old 03-31-2017, 06:21 PM   #13

try rsbikepaint.com
got my paint from them last year for my fairing and tour pack, perfect match on my blue and silver

Old 03-31-2017, 08:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by toman1969 View Post
try rsbikepaint.com
got my paint from them last year for my fairing and tour pack, perfect match on my blue and silver
Yes I have seen this site. A UK company. Was it expensive to ship? Was your colour a tri-coat candy or pearl? Who did your painting?

I heard back from Kawasaki. Here is what they said

"Thank you for taking the time to write us about your current concerns with the paint not matching on your 2013 Vaquero.
We do deal directly with Colorrite and they are the paint manufacturer."

hmmmmm. Not sure how much I would need but Colorrite says 1 pint will do about 1/2 a bike. I don't think I would order less than 1 pint (each colour) because well sh*t happens. Cost for 1 pint shipped to Canada is $500CAD and half that amount is $350CAD. No guarentees and still have to pay the painter....Ouch. New prepainted parts $700. Easy decision there.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:07 PM   #15

My blue was a two coat i believe, a buddy of mine painted everything for me. I got a pint of each color, blue and silver, plus clearcoat from them. Stay away from their clearcoat, it sucked. But he said he had never seen a paint match that close, that sprayed on as easy as theirs did. Cost was about half of what colorrite was. You probably could get 1/2 pint each of base and topcoat, and have plenty to spare.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk