Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #1

Gravel on the road

Well as you may guess do to the heading what happened to me last saturday ,so here I go , nice day me and the wife were out riding and on the way home after a great day we turned to start up the hill were I live and in the middle of my turn I tried to stay out of the lose gravel and the next thing I now the bike went out from under me, now this road I travel every day and just that quick thing went real bad , Itryed to catch the bike before the wife could get thrown off but I remember her flying off and I did the splits and down she went. The wife got some road rash and I pulled a musle in my right leg . morral of this story is real simple watch thye road for every thing that lose sand and gravel is every where this time of the year and it will put you to the grond real fast so just keep your eyes open and stay alert to avoid this from happying to you . the crash bars did their job but it could of got alot worse than it was so all I can say is the Lord was watching over us that day.Stay safe out there and enjoy your riding time . ;)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Gravel on the road

Stump, glad it wasn't worse... It could have been much...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Gravel on the road

Glad it wasn't any worse than what it was. We do have to watch the road at all times.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #4

Gravel on the road

Stump, that d#$@@&*(#@#^m gravel goes ith the roads in out area. Tear the bike up bad? Did you paint like a stars n stripes theme on your bike? I think I seen you and the wife last week when I was pullin back out in the truck, I was in my Freightliner then, over in Chesapeake.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:13 AM   #5

Gravel on the road

Ridemslow, that was me and the wife ,I got the stares and bars on the tank , the wifes parents live in chesapeak on old 52, her dad has a small tracktor busseness down by the high school.Get with me sometime and we'll ride some place.The place I laider down was out 775 in scottown were I live , I was just about a half mile from the house just goes to show no matter how well you now the road it can still get you when your not paying any attention.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #6

Gravel on the road

They might do this where you ride, around here you have to be real careful this time of year. The local road departments pour tar on the roads and follow it with crushed stone (gravel and dust) from side to side. After a couple weeks the traffic has pretty much ground the gravel into the tar but on the turns and middle of the lanes it can stay loose for a month. If you travel here from a state that prefers to use 21st century methods you have to be alert, the roads appear freshly paved but are anything but.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #7

Gravel on the road

Jims ,They do the same thing on the road I live on and you are right you really have to watch those roads. and I called the county and they still haven't done any thing about that gravel on the road so like you, I figure they aren't going to do any thing so I just have to keep my eyes open and my head out of my butt when riding.