Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-13-2016, 12:54 AM   #1

Irate Interesting Turning Clearance Issue.

Long story short. I rode a 2012 Voyager. Loved it. Got a good deal on a 2012 Vaquero. My bikes turning clearance is DANGEROUSLY low. Why?

Are the Vaqueros lower?
The previous owner sold me his dad's bike and knows nothing about it.

It is darksided. Is the car tire making the bike sit lower?

What can I check to see if its something he's done?

If i cannot fix it i'll probably have to sell it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by coolwazabi; 04-13-2016 at 12:54 AM. Reason: fixed the title

Old 04-13-2016, 02:12 AM   #2

Mine is stock and I can lay it into corners I would start by putting it back to stock and go from there I absolutely love mine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-13-2016, 02:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy2011 View Post
Mine is stock and I can lay it into corners I would start by putting it back to stock and go from there I absolutely love mine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Id love to for sure. The main problem is i'm not sure what is all done to it.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:40 AM   #4
Advanced Member

look at the rear shock bottom bolt if a lowering kit was installed.. Tire height will also affect.. not sure how much though
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags
6.5 MPX hertz in pods

Old 04-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Go to a dealer and sit on a new Vaquero, if it is heavier to pull off the side stand then yours is likely lowered. It may have a rear shock lowering kit, or aftermarket shorter shocks, and maybe shorter springs inside the forks or the fork tubes slid higher in the triple clamp.
Check the rubber bumpers under your driver footboards, if they are worn or missing your footboards will be drooping down and will scrape too soon. I replaced my rubber bumpers with 2 nylon bolts which make my footboards tilt upwards which really increases lean angles.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #6

So I'm having a bit of a reverse issue. Just bought a Vaquero and I'm a bit of a short ass so I'm not quite flat foot, close but not quite. I have only ridden it for about 250K so far (Damn winter won't let go up here in Ottawa) and have not had any issues yet. It handles well, carves turns nicely, and balances well when I come to a stop. Though I have been looking at lowering options - I think not. While practicing in a parking lot I have scraped floorboards already so I'm thinking I'm going to leave it at stock height and just get used to respecting its height and weight. Appreciate any thoughts.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #7

Maybe you two should trade.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 04-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #8
Advanced Member

I would think it is possible that a car tire like the one on your bike may have a low side wall and being the tread pattern is flat, could adversely affect handling and clearance. My Vaquero has ample cornering capabilities running the Michelin 180/65 16 Commander on the rear and front Commander II as a pair. If the rear suspension on your new Vaquero hasn't been lowered, it may just be the shocks need some good air. I run 35 psi in mine all the time keeping the back end up a little more hence the better cornering clearance.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:23 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwazabi View Post
Long story short. I rode a 2012 Voyager. Loved it. Got a good deal on a 2012 Vaquero. My bikes turning clearance is DANGEROUSLY low. Why?

Are the Vaqueros lower?
The previous owner sold me his dad's bike and knows nothing about it.

It is darksided. Is the car tire making the bike sit lower?

What can I check to see if its something he's done?

If i cannot fix it i'll probably have to sell it.
What is the ground clearance number you are referring to?
If your skoot is darksided what size tire is mounted on the rear, and front?Under sized tires will drop you closer to the ground. How much air pressure is in the tires? Also, how much air pressure is in the rear shocks and what setting are they set at? How much do you weigh? Have the rear shocks been modified to lower the rear?

Pictures can help.

The owners manual will give you some reference points.

All these things can influence your ground clearance.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
What is the ground clearance number you are referring to?
If your skoot is darksided what size tire is mounted on the rear, and front?Under sized tires will drop you closer to the ground. How much air pressure is in the tires? Also, how much air pressure is in the rear shocks and what setting are they set at? How much do you weigh? Have the rear shocks been modified to lower the rear?

Pictures can help.

The owners manual will give you some reference points.

All these things can influence your ground clearance.
Tires are MC MICHELIN Commander 2 with OEM size "what ever that is" 33psi
rear tire is a CT dunlap sp5000 in 190/65/16 (which is 0.4" small in diameter compared to an OEM MT) running 28 PSi

shocks running around 20 and 3 out of 4 clicks on the dampening factor. I weight 240 ish.

Shocks appear to be OEM when looking at the progressive shocks online that are for sale.

I tried using around 30 PSI in the shocks but around big sweeping curves it kept me bouncing and was SKETCHY.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #11
Advanced Member

I would assume it is your floorboards that are dragging?

Get the bike upright, measure from the scraper on the bottom of the floor board to the ground. Also from the bottom of your exhaust pipe, at the very end to the ground. Again while the bike is upright....not on the sidestand.

Lets get those numbers and compare that to someone else that is stock and see where you are.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
I would assume it is your floorboards that are dragging?

Get the bike upright, measure from the scraper on the bottom of the floor board to the ground. Also from the bottom of your exhaust pipe, at the very end to the ground. Again while the bike is upright....not on the sidestand.

Lets get those numbers and compare that to someone else that is stock and see where you are.
Good idea.. be back shortly.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #13

Quote:
rear tire is a CT dunlap sp5000 in 190/65/16 (which is 0.4" small in diameter compared to an OEM MT) running 28 PSi

shocks running around 20 and 3 out of 4 clicks on the dampening factor. I weight 240 ish.

Shocks appear to be OEM when looking at the progressive shocks online that are for sale.

I tried using around 30 PSI in the shocks but around big sweeping curves it kept me bouncing and was SKETCHY.
coolwazabi, I am 265lbs and run a ct and I believe you need the shocks at 32 to 35lbs 4 click for damping and the car tire at 30 or 32 and the sweeping curves will smooth out. It may not work for you but it did for me.

TX1700 on VBA
plunge on Texas VROC
VROC #36447
VBA #02703
Ivan's reflash
2013 Vulcan Voyager ABS
2002 Road Star (sold)

Old 04-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1700 View Post
coolwazabi, I am 265lbs and run a ct and I believe you need the shocks at 32 to 35lbs 4 click for damping and the car tire at 30 or 32 and the sweeping curves will smooth out. It may not work for you but it did for me.
I haven't tried the 4 clicks. Thats something ill try out. I don't mind getting a stiffer ride as long as it wont bounce during sweepers.

OH! And i measured the floor boards. At the very very veRY!!! back of the floor board "lowest point" they sit about 9.625" off the ground. I didn't measure the exhaust as mine as rashed badly and all brands would be different.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:22 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't think you are running enough tire pressure.

On the rear I have a Yokohama Avid Assend 205/60/16 LRR. It's rated for 51 psi max. I run 50-51 psi. I started out at 42 psi, then 48 psi. When the pressures are lower its not stable. A fellow rider went to the dark side and experienced the same with lower tire pressures. On the front is a Commander II and I run 40-42 psi.

You may be getting tire squirm where the side walls are flexing back and forth allowing the tire to move side to side.

Your tires should give you the maximum pressure they are rated for. Pump them up to the max and see how they respond.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.