Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #1

Intermittent FI warning

I just recently purchase my 2005 Nomad and yesterday I noticed the red warning light on indicating a Fuel injection problem. I drove it around the block and it went off and I never had any noticeable issues. Agian today after an hour ride I pulled into a parking lot and the light came back on for just a short while. The bike only has 24000 miles. Has this been an issue with other Nomads? Any help would be appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #2

Intermittent FI warning

Mine has done that two or three times since Ive owned the bike, each time its come on has been while riding during a heavy rain. It goes out within a few minutes.
It could be something as simple as a dirty connecter on the sensor. Id check to see if it has a good clean connection and see if that cures the problem.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-11-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
Top Contributor

Intermittent FI warning

The red warning light can mean three different things.

1. The warning light and the oil pressure warning symbol indicate low oil pressure. This symbol will be just to the right of the E of the fuel gauge and right beneath the left-most digit of the odometer.

2. The warning light and the coolant temperature warning symbol indicate high coolant temperature. This symbol is located beneath the second digit (10s unit) of the odometer.

3. The warning light and the fuel injection warning symbol indicates trouble in the fuel injection system. This symbol (FI) is located below and just between the fourth and fifth digits of the odometer (counting from the right.)

(These three symbols are also printed on the speedometer face plate next to the warning light so you know what they look like.)

When the warning light comes on check below the odometer for one of the three symbols. That should show you for which system the warning light is indicating trouble. Oil pressure, coolant temperature or fuel injection system.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 06-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #4

Intermittent FI warning

Hey Dinkins! Welcome to the board. I knew you'd find good help here. These guys are the best. ;) See you at work!
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #5

Intermittent FI warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket
The red warning light can mean three different things.

1. The warning light and the oil pressure warning symbol indicate low oil pressure. This symbol will be just to the right of the E of the fuel gauge and right beneath the left-most digit of the odometer.

2. The warning light and the coolant temperature warning symbol indicate high coolant temperature. This symbol is located beneath the second digit (10s unit) of the odometer.

3. The warning light and the fuel injection warning symbol indicates trouble in the fuel injection system. This symbol (FI) is located below and just between the fourth and fifth digits of the odometer (counting from the right.)

(These three symbols are also printed on the speedometer face plate next to the warning light so you know what they look like.)

When the warning light comes on check below the odometer for one of the three symbols. That should show you for which system the warning light is indicating trouble. Oil pressure, coolant temperature or fuel injection system.
Then there should be three seperate sensors to check for.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #6

Intermittent FI warning

If the Fi indicator and the Fi symbol come on, then the ECU might have stored the fault code. There is a link in the kawanow technical board to down load the 1600 service manual. It is very useful to have and will show you how to check for fault codes if this is the case.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #7

Intermittent FI warning

After weeks of struggling with this FI light issue the problem is fixed!!! It got worse before we found the solution, to the point I couldn't even ride it with out the motor dying. Reading the codes and replacing sensors didn't fix the problem for long it just seemed to move from one system to the next like a ghost. The Kawasaki tech team has seen this issue before and advised us to replace the wiring harness. Part number (26031-0478) And I would like to report the bike is running smoothly again and the FI light stays off. Since this issue started I have heard of others out there with this make and model Nomad having similar issues. I hope this post will help someone in the future. I know I lost some major summer riding opportunities in the three months it took me to figure out what was causing that light to come on.

Dink

Old 08-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #8

Intermittent FI warning

Thats a new one, here, its a drastic repair to replace the entire wiring harness. Im assumming its a broken or corroded wire somewhere in the harness.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Intermittent FI warning

Do you still have the old harness?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #10

Intermittent FI warning

I was telling Dink that some others had found chaffed wires when hunting "ghosts" like that. But he said there was no visible wear on the removed wiring harness.

Possibly a broken spot in a wire?? Regardless, it's running again
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 08-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #11

Intermittent FI warning

I've got the same problem going on, except the bike has not stopped running. It's intermittent and sometimes the light never comes on. I guess I need to start checking codes?

Old 09-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #12

Intermittent FI warning

Sorry to hear you are having problems too. Since I have been thru this about four others owners have come to my attention with similar issues. Please realize that I am hyper sensitive to this issue and perk up and pay attention whenever I hear someone speaking about this problem. However on a good note the shop I took mine too, for them, it was the very first time they had seen it. So I do not believe this is an issue most owners will have to face. All in all, The Nomad is still one of the best bikes on the road and 99% of them will never have this problem. Back to the shop I took mine to, I was really impressed with their service department and they treated me fairly. They only charged me for three hours of labor and I am sure it took longer than that. Maybe they felt sorry for me because this was such an odd problem to have. Total cost of the repair was $640.00. I rode for about six hours this weekend and I am glad to report that it's still fixed.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #13

Intermittent FI warning

I have the same intermittent light issue. Usually while idling on start up. It goes off within a mile or two of riding. It sometimes will come back while riding, but it doesn't stay on. As of today, it has never caused bike to stall or quit running(knock on wood).....