Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 03-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #1

Question-The road to Alaska

My brother has ridden 49 of 50 States. He just lacks Alaska.

He does not currently own a bike. He is a retired LEO and owned a bike for about 40 years straight. Always brand new nice bikes. He is a Honda guy...lots of Goldwings and his last bike was a Valkyrie.

I told him if he gets one I would ride iwth him so he can finish his map.

Here is my question;

It looks like the closest point in Alaska (from Seattle) is Hyder, Alaska. Just on the other side of the border from Stewart B.C. Canada....is this correct? Have any of you ridden this road? Is it paved? Any input on the Highway , services, or the ride up there?

I looked on the HD Ride Planner and couldn't really tell much from it. We just want to set foot in Alaska so he can scratch this off his bucket list....don't need to worry about scenery as there will be plenty of beautiful scenery in B.C. on the way up.

We both live in the Portland, Oregon area....about a 2500 mile round trip.

I assume the best month to make the ride would be August?
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #2

Hey.....I should have googled Hyder first....here is what I found.

Hyder is accessible by highway from Stewart, British Columbia, which connects with the British Columbia highway system. Hyder became popular with long distance motorcycle riders in 1998 when author Ron Ayres set a record of riding to the contiguous 48 states in six days. Ayres went on to add to the 48 state record by continuing on to Hyder, Alaska to establish a new 49-state record of 7 days, 0 hours and 20 minutes. Ayres named the new long distance ride the "48 Plus" and the 49-state ride has become very popular with members of the long distance motorcycle riding Iron Butt Association.

Hyder is also the location of the annual "Hyder-Seek" gathering of long-distance motorcyclists who travel from all over North America each Memorial Day weekend.

Hyder have some notoriety as the place where people become "Hyderized." Two of the town's bars issue certifications to patrons of being "Hyderized" if the patron consumes a shot of 150 proof (75% alcohol) Everclear

49 states in 7 days....amazing! I wonder what kind of seat he had? I want one of those !
VBA #659

Old 03-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #3

Sounds like a plan. One I wish I could do with you.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #4

I'll pass on the everclear, I like to see. Best of luck to you.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 03-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Greg

Good you found the info on Hyder. We were there about 8 years ago. While visiting in Terrace, BC, we made a trip up there in the cage. That area is famous for its Grizzly bear population and we went there to see that. It was just a day trip so didn't have time to get Hyderized, although it was discussed! Your other option is to go to Dawson Creek BC, which is mile 0 of the Alaska highway. But its still about 1200 miles before this road enters Alaska, so a lot further than the Hyder route. Either way, I'd love to make that trip someday!! Hope you get to do it.

Mike

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #6

I live about 5 hours away from Hyder.Been there 3 times,but only in a truck.The first 2 times it was gravel all the way but it is all paved now.Been Hyderized to,might as well drink gasoline that Everclear is bad stuff.I live on Highway 16 and every year we get to watch all the riders go by that are on their way to Hyder, part of an Ironbutt ride so they can say they were in Alaska.Nice scenery and would be a good ride in August.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #7

Ok when you say "road to alaska" don't you mean boat trip to alaska? You gotta go through canada? More like the road through canada.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Ok when you say "road to alaska" don't you mean boat trip to alaska? You gotta go through canada? More like the road through canada.
Well I guess you got a point OP...but it is still a road that goes to Alaska...even if it goes through Canada first.
VBA #659

Old 03-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Top Contributor

The ROAD used to be gravel but I hear its paved now. hey greg you said you live in Portland. i travel to portland for business contining ed for my work every Jan. i stay at the mariott Inn Waterfront and really enjoy that city. Ill holler at you next jan.

Dennis

Old 03-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #10

Hey Doc,

That sounds good. I am only about 20 minutes away. I was at that hotel (well at least in front of it) on Sunday. RKsaw and Spirrello are in the area as well. See you in January if not sooner.

Greg
VBA #659