Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #1

Motorcycle Camping

I'm thinking about doing some camping in the spring/summer if I ever finish my trailer. Does anyone have recommended sleeping bags and tents for motorcycle camping that are not too hard on the budget? I know room to pack is at a premium.
Thanks,
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2007, 12:34 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Motorcycle Camping

I have often thought about camping with the bike on leisurely trips, I already use it as my fav fishing rig. When travelling alone there should be ample room for a tent, bag and hi tech air matress perhaps strapped onto the luggage rack. Having said that when I went to Ohio a few years ago I had considered camping and decided against it because I was planning long days (800 to 1000 miles a day) and I wanted to be warm and comfortable at night with a nice shower available. I ran into enough rain that deciding to stay in motels proved to be a wise choice.

There are some very good hi tech air matresses available that literally inflate themselves and I would think that one of those would be a must but they are pricey. I would also think that you would not want to scrimp too much on the price of a decent tent because you will rely on that item to keep you dry in the event of a good soaking rain. it will be interesting to see where this thread goes.
Idaho
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 11-19-2007, 12:52 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Motorcycle Camping

Zoom the wife and I went too wal-mart and got the fleeze sleeping bags very light and easy to pack also picked up an air mattress she throws in a light sheet -3 man tent and all in the tour pack, not hard on the budget at all $10 bucks a bag $30-45 on the tent $20 air mattress battery pump for a/m $15 love it.we can pack for a 3-day weekend and still have room (not much but its there)

Old 11-19-2007, 06:43 AM   #4

Motorcycle Camping

That's the kind of money I was talking about. Good idea. I only plan on camping in the warmer weather. Some of the 2 man tents I have seen may be ok for kids but I like to be able to move without rubbing against the sides of the tent plus keep some gear inside just in case it does rain. With a trailer , I should have the extra space needed. Oh, I do plan on taking the wife so the added space is a must. I don't see where you need to take a lot of cooking equipment since you can always pack up and get something down the road. What else do you really need to camp? lights, radio, pillows, etc? I like coffee in the morning. What's the best thing for that?
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 11-19-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
VBA Founder

Motorcycle Camping

I've been on many bike camping trips....in fact, I have a camping list on my website at www.hilliard.ws/kawasaki.htm if you need one.

I don't camp as much as I used to, but one thing I did find out is...get a good tent. You don't have to get an expensive one, but make sure it's got a good rain fly, that covers the whole tent.

Also, I have learned that you don't have to bring a huge air mattress...get one that's thin and light and packs small.

Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #6

Motorcycle Camping

The one thing that I always make room for is a Coleman twin air matress. I got it on sale at Walmart for $14. It takes up less room than one of the roll up self inflating jobs.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5303858

Old 11-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #7

Motorcycle Camping

I agree with Robert that the most important thing is an air-tight tent... No fun at all to wake up in the middle of the night wet... We camp most of the time when we go on trips... You can do the research before you leave and find places to camp that are very nice, with clean showers/bathrooms and it is just as comfortable as sleeping in a hotel. Excellent alternative for a low-budget excursion...

Old 11-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #8

Motorcycle Camping

Quote:
I agree with Robert that the most important thing is an air-tight tent... .
Water-tight is probably a better idea. I assume that is what you meant.

You can handle coffee easily in two ways: A single burner backpack stove and small pot are light weight, compact, and easy to use. For this approach you can either use a percolator (my preference) or just heat water and buy the coffee packaged like tea bags. The second way is easier: just get a really good thermos and fill it at a restaurant the night before. I find that easier on the road, but I like to get up run through a tank of gas before breakfast.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:26 AM   #9

Motorcycle Camping

You might also find some good tips from this book called "Motorcycle Camping."

I can get you the information on it if you need it. But you should be able to get it through amazon, Barnes and Noble, or Whitehorse Press.

I have gone camping on the bike before and it was one of the best times I have had. I went alone and packed a collapsible fishing rod and some lures and had a blast!

Old 11-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #10

Motorcycle Camping

My wife and I camp a lot from the bike. We went to walmart and got a complete kit; big tent, 2 chairs, 2 sleeping bags, knives, forks, plates, 2 cups, 2 koozees, and a little light; all in a zip up bag, for like 49.00 or so. prices change per season, but, point is, get a kit like that, and you'll have plenty of room left in the trailer. we carry extra bags, plastic tarp, rope, axe, shovel, lantern, collapsable grill for cooking over fire, radio, drinks, snacks, extra blankets, and sometimes, a canopy. all in the trailer, so, you still have the hard bags,and T-bag left for clothes, rainsuit, etc.
I use a Piggybacker trailer, with cooler rack on tongue; LOVE IT !!

Old 11-22-2007, 12:06 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Motorcycle Camping

Now I want a trailer dragon, and I do like your bike. ride safe

Old 11-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #12

Motorcycle Camping

I learned the most important thing for me to take when camping is my ear plugs! Especially at campgrounds at Lake George during Americade. ;)

p.s. Even if you have an airtight tent.....it will help if you set the tent up in your yard and spray/treat it with a water resistant product.....I also spray it on my boots etc. We use a product called Camp Dry made by KIWI. My supposed 'water resistent' boots used to soak thru after an hour and half or so but not since I treated them with the spray.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 11-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #13

Motorcycle Camping

Thanks for the tip Unwind. My riding boots did not keep the rain out when I was riding in the NC mountains the first of October. I'll give that a shot.