Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-19-2020, 01:26 AM   #1

Didn't think it through.....

Okay, let me say I don't like to admit to mistakes. Having said that, this might help someone in the future and save a couple of $ too.

When I first got my '01 Nomad, I knew it was stock, so didn't expect it to be a hot rod. It did ok, I mean, it's a traveling recliner, right?

I debaffled my pipes (not the mistake, love the sound, kept the goat bladder), and thought I'd get a Dobeck and free flow air filters. Did that, EJK (love it, can you see where we're going now?) and dual Spectre oiled air filters. Looks great, balances the look on both sides. Looks better than the dog bowls.

Got all that done and was running the EJK with their recommended settings. Not much improvement. Experimented some with the settings and made a "little" difference. Ran this for a year, still kind of a dog, good torque but accel was nothing. Seemed like it was trying to do better but just couldn't. Kept blaming the bladder for restricting the performance, but really don't want louder pipes.

Kept nagging at me tho, because it seemed to be bogging down under acceleration. So....today I took off the left air filter and put a dog bowl back on (original air access closed off) to cut down the air. Wow! Seems I was putting too much air in and and running my poor girl way too lean even after upping the settings. I swear it even sounds deeper, and the power increase is a kick in the, uh, behind. She is so much happier.

Moral to this sad story is don't over do! Make sure you're balancing the mods to get the most out of them! I'll be removing the left bowl "apparatus" and the crossover pipe and going single filter all the way now.

Ride safe.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #2

I have to agree.

On my Yamaha 950, the person I bought it from had already drilled out the baffles on the stock pipe. and put a K & N filter on it. When I got it, I was almost afraid of it. I barely rolled the throttle and it would push you back in the seat. To me it was over torqued.

I was looking for a better sound from the pipes so I put a set of Cobra Slash Downs on it and a Cobra intake. Going from a 2 into 1 pipe, to 2 pipes, and giving it better air actually decreased the torque, even after using the Cobra fuel processor.

It was a good move for an old geezer like me, because the bike now has a much smoother acceleration and I don't have to worry about a touchy throttle. It still has plenty of giddy up and go but just smoother now.

Last edited by Sixth Gear; 02-19-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
Top Contributor

I have a 1300 V Star with a couple of performance mods and it is quicker than my Nomad was and makes around 86hp, about the same as a stock Voyager/Vaquero.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:12 AM   #4

Be sure to keep those filters well oiled, your bike will lean out as they dry out...I ran the dual Spectres for about 20k miles on my MeanStreak, made a huge improvement and never skipped a beat.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 02-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #5

I actually got rid of the crossover tube and the left air filter entirely. I just have a spectre on the right. Work perfectly fine. No noticeable difference. Ive got V&H longshots and a Cobra tuner.

It just doesnt like cold starts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth Gear View Post
I have to agree.

On my Yamaha 950, the person I bought it from had already drilled out the baffles on the stock pipe. and put a K & N filter on it. When I got it, I was almost afraid of it. I barely rolled the throttle and it would push you back in the seat. To me it was over torqued.

I was looking for a better sound from the pipes so I put a set of Cobra Slash Downs on it and a Cobra intake. Going from a 2 into 1 pipe, to 2 pipes, and giving it better air actually decreased the torque, even after using the Cobra fuel processor.

It was a good move for an old geezer like me, because the bike now has a much smoother acceleration and I don't have to worry about a touchy throttle. It still has plenty of giddy up and go but just smoother now.
Just got rid of my star 950.

2 into 2 pipes typically reduce torque vs a 2 into 1.

And get rid of that tuner and go with an Ivans ECU Flash. You will thank me in the long run.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #7

Ivan does not flash 1600s only 1700s.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 03-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #8

oil the air filter?

So if i have this right, are you supposed to oil the air filter even if you have the stock filter inside the dog bowl? Also is there supposed to be an air filter on the right hand side as well where the throttle body/intake is.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
So if i have this right, are you supposed to oil the air filter even if you have the stock filter inside the dog bowl? Also is there supposed to be an air filter on the right hand side as well where the throttle body/intake is.
Stock filter is on the left and should not be oiled.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 08-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #10
Advanced Member

I got lucky when I bought my 03 Classic, used, with all the updates on it already: Baron air intake, V&H Bigshot pipes, crossover and air solenoids gone, Power Commander. The previous owner had this all done. I only installed the Super-Q baffles in the pipes because it was too freakin loud! Actually, to me, its still too loud. But it starts easily, warms up quickly, idles fine, and throttle response is good even down to 2,000 rpm in 3rd gear. Average gas mileage is about 39, up to near 41 if I'm easy on the happy grip.

This winter when I tear it down to fix 2nd gear, I'll install 1500 Mean Streak heads/cams/valves and throttle bodies to improve breathing a bit more.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperAH1G View Post
Okay, let me say I don't like to admit to mistakes. Having said that, this might help someone in the future and save a couple of $ too.

When I first got my '01 Nomad, I knew it was stock, so didn't expect it to be a hot rod. It did ok, I mean, it's a traveling recliner, right?

I debaffled my pipes (not the mistake, love the sound, kept the goat bladder), and thought I'd get a Dobeck and free flow air filters. Did that, EJK (love it, can you see where we're going now?) and dual Spectre oiled air filters. Looks great, balances the look on both sides. Looks better than the dog bowls.

Got all that done and was running the EJK with their recommended settings. Not much improvement. Experimented some with the settings and made a "little" difference. Ran this for a year, still kind of a dog, good torque but accel was nothing. Seemed like it was trying to do better but just couldn't. Kept blaming the bladder for restricting the performance, but really don't want louder pipes.

Kept nagging at me tho, because it seemed to be bogging down under acceleration. So....today I took off the left air filter and put a dog bowl back on (original air access closed off) to cut down the air. Wow! Seems I was putting too much air in and and running my poor girl way too lean even after upping the settings. I swear it even sounds deeper, and the power increase is a kick in the, uh, behind. She is so much happier.

Moral to this sad story is don't over do! Make sure you're balancing the mods to get the most out of them! I'll be removing the left bowl "apparatus" and the crossover pipe and going single filter all the way now.

Ride safe.
If you're letting more air in, you need to let more air out. The stock exhaust with the goat bladder is way too restrictive. If you'd put on a cobra or V&H exhaust system, you may have had better results. Just a thought.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-29-2020, 07:32 PM   #12

Bluesman? Post

The post from bluesman - Thessalon \Ontario regarding air filters is not me.
I did not post the above post about air filters. How can someone post on this forum using my name etc. I would really like to know
The real bluesman

Old 09-29-2020, 07:33 PM   #13

Who are you ? How did you post on this forum using my name. I would like to know

Old 09-29-2020, 11:35 PM   #14

Quote:
The post from bluesman - Thessalon \Ontario regarding air filters is not me.
I did not post the above post about air filters. How can someone post on this forum using my name etc. I would really like to know
The real bluesman
Quote:
Who are you ? How did you post on this forum using my name. I would like to know
OK... Cut it out, you guys?

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 09-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #15

This isn't a spoof. I have sent Topcat the moderator a pm to look into this.
And yes this is the real bluesman posting this. Not that that my personal info or banking has been hacked but still this seems very odd to me.